Purchased new, but this thing is so slow....

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Up to now, I owned the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Unfortunately, that unit continues to shut down randomly for me so I decided to by the Note Pro. I still have hundreds of notes saved for work so the Pro seems like a good upgrade.

But so far I am severely disappointed. I bought it used, but I did a factory reset. First off, the set up process was painfully slow. I've had it now for a month. No matter what browser I have, Firefox, Chrome, Puffin, Opera, it's still slow. Painfully slow. It seems like it's worse than my 10.1 tablet. Is that possible? Watching YouTube is fine. Watching Kodi is fine. But browsing? It's unacceptable. I'm wondering what I can do? I ran Antutu and got a score of 49630? When comparing it against todays devices, it would rank near 50th. I realize this is an older unit. But is this the way it is? Just accept it's old. Is that a good score for performance?

I was at the Microsoft store yesterday and tried the Surface 4 Pro. Just using it for a few minutes, I can tell you that thing screams compared to the Note. It's so much fast to browse.

At home, I'm at 65meg so there's no reason it should be that slow.

Any suggestions?

sspoulsen

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I got a Note 12.2 (LTE) and mine still run like a dream - no lag at all.

I use Chrome with Adguard active and browsing is a real smooth experience. (If I disable Adguard the adds on web pages can make it lag a bit when scrolling a web page)

I also use Package Disabler Pro to disable apps I don't use.

But all-in-all - this device rocks.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's slow. Everyone's perception of lag differs. If you jump back and​ forth between the Note Pro and a current flagship phone there should be no question that the note shows it's age, even if you optimize things. Sspoulsen's recommendations are on point, blocking ads and reducing the resources taken by unwanted apps will improve things. I'm looking at a Surface Pro at some point down the line too. Not a fair comparison though in terms of hardware.

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Adguard is available with Chrome? Through the Play store, I see it only with Samsung Internet and Yandex, whatever that is.

As for Package Disabler, that's for rooted devices, which mine is not.

sspoulsen

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Just checked Google Play Store - and the version available now doesn't seem to work with Google Chrome. I've had the version I have installed on my tablet since I got the tablet so maybe it's been removed (but it still works).

I must have bought/downloaded it from http://adguard.com (thats what it says in 'about' in the app)

My Note Pro is not rooted and I'm using Package Disabler Pro (Samsung) from policedeveloper available in Google Play Store.

Last edited:

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well here's how frustrating my experience has been. Let's say I go on ESPN.com to check out some scores. Or even on CNN to check out some headlines. I wait for the page to load, which doesn't take long. Then it shows the headlines, but the it's still loading as the circle continues to spin. So I click on the link. Too late, something loaded so the links moved up, so I end up clicking the wrong link. No worries. Let's go back and do it again. Wait for the spinner, click on link, nothing works. Click on it again, pages moves up and I click on the same wrong link again. Other time, it gets so slow, instead of clicking on the story, I click on the Ad.

This didn't even happen on my Asus TF101, which I got like 6 years ago.

sspoulsen

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Checked espn.com and even with Adguard active it does what you say (moving contents).

Not sure if that is related to the speed of the device or the way the webpage is constructed (loading contents when scrolling - and not keeping up with allocating enough space on webpage for the images/adds/etc. hence moving other contents when it realizes more space is needed)

I have tried other sites where contents is loaded in a similar way and those seems to allocate enough space so the loaded images etc. doesn't move other contents - if Adguard is disabled some might move contents though.

I have not used other tablets but tried it on my Note 4 and espn.com did the same.

Only tested with Google Chrome.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
espn.com also has hundreds of external page links just on their home page alone. Just look at the source code of that home page. I suspect it takes time for all of those links to be fetched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12