1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    R0M

Default Date Usage (OS Services) Android Newb!

Hi

I got a Note the other week, very happy with it. Its my first Android after a few iPhone.

Im a bit worried about the data usage, seem to be using a lot even when Im not doing anything.

Im also struggling to find a decent data monitor? Most seem inaccurate, randomly reset etc. I've git about 4 or 5 installed, and all say different things!

OS Services seems to be using a lot of data. I've got email sync at 4hrs (was 1)
    Syncing over wifi only i think. I know some widgets will use data, just amazed how much is being used. 1 app shows OS Services as 58% of my usage?!

I browse a lot of web, so that's surprising its more than web usage!

I've also been trying Opera mini and mobile for less usage. But don't really like them. Mini seems to want to semi reload a page after every data input, even like each line of an address form for shopping, it reload partially.
    Also seems to select wrong forum threads a lot?! Even though Im 100% Im clicking on the right thread.

Any tips or advice please?

Default Re: Date Usage (OS Services) Android Newb!

The problem with Android is there are lots of apps running in the background, some of them send data back to their server for god knows what. If you are rooted, you can try LBE Privacy Guard, it is mainly a security app that prohibit apps permission to spy on your phone, but one of the feature is to deny internet access to apps. It also detect how much internet is being used by apps you chose to monitor. And also keep track of your overall data usage and warns you when it reaches 90% of the limit that you set. LBE might decrease battery life a bit.

If rooted, you can also install a custom rom which usually have bloatware cleaned. Also Titanium Backup Pro have an option to freeze apps.

Also if rooted, AdFree is a good program to install since it blocks ads and webtracking server from your phone, preventing them to load might save a bit more bandwidth.

Otherwise without root, I don't know much you can do beside going through each app and manage their settings, set any automatic process to manual. Turn on background data and syncing only when you need to.

I prefer to use Opera Mobile, but I don't think it will help in your case, except its a very good browser after customized.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-08-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Default Re: Date Usage (OS Services) Android Newb!

I'm having the same problem...phone using approx 1MB per hour if I don't touch it!!
    Orange have upped my allowance to 1GB a month but that will barely cover it if I hardly use it...and that's not the idea is it?
    Checking home page on facebook used 374kb but operating system is major user using approx 500kb per hour.
    Going to take phone into shop for someone to hopefully look at setttings and improve situation...I dread to think what it would use if I actually tried to download something substantial!!
    Any ideas would be appreciated...as I never went over 500 a month with my iPhone and used it much more!
    M
    x