One handed keyboard update -> how do we get it?

Projectrally

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I got my Note two days ago, and so far I love it. But I read that two weeks ago an update added some new keyboard options and a few other small tweaks. That update hasn't rolled out to my device yet. When I go into settings and try to update the phone, it says i'm up to date. Is there a way to manually grab that updated firmware and push it to my device?

Thanks!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I got my Note two days ago, and so far I love it. But I read that two weeks ago an update added some new keyboard options and a few other small tweaks. That update hasn't rolled out to my device yet. When I go into settings and try to update the phone, it says i'm up to date. Is there a way to manually grab that updated firmware and push it to my device?

Thanks!

What is the CSC for your phone? Here is a great post which has all the latest firmware for the GNote based on where it is from. You can flash a new firmware if you want the instructions are all in the post. As you can see there are many updates. I have a DBT (Germany) CSC and KL4 was the first one in which we saw the one handed keyboard. Many have it now. You can even change your CSC if your phone is unlocked. Just type *#272*IMEI# into your phone keypad and it will pull up you current CSC and allow you to change it. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR CSC, IT WILL RESET YOUR PHONE AND WIPE YOUR DATA!

[STOCK ROMS] N7000 All stock ROMs + install + Root guide All at 1 place,Latest XXLA6 - xda-developers

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
my CSC is KK2. Can't find on that list.

Looks like it is from the United Arab Emirates. There have been no updates for that CSC yet. If you do not want to change your CSC, you will have to wait until they release an update to get the new firmware.

Projectrally

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help, Planoman. Let me just make sure I've got this straight before I proceed...

Samsung has released updates for the device in certain regions. So if I change my CSC code to a region that already has the update, my phone will see that the update is available and I can download it directly. Is that the long and short of it?

When I go to change my CSC number as you described in post #2, I get the following info:

Sales Code: VNO (preselected)
TTT
TDR

That's it. Those are my only two other options for a CSC. I can't find any reference to a location for those codes based on the link you included in post #2. Searching around on some other forums shows that other people are presented with a lot more options for changing the CSC number. Is there any way that I can update this?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help, Planoman. Let me just make sure I've got this straight before I proceed...

Samsung has released updates for the device in certain regions. So if I change my CSC code to a region that already has the update, my phone will see that the update is available and I can download it directly. Is that the long and short of it?

When I go to change my CSC number as you described in post #2, I get the following info:

Sales Code: VNO (preselected)
TTT
TDR

That's it. Those are my only two other options for a CSC. I can't find any reference to a location for those codes based on the link you included in post #2. Searching around on some other forums shows that other people are presented with a lot more options for changing the CSC number. Is there any way that I can update this?

Yes once you change your csc, you can update the firmware for that csc code. So it seems like your CSC is VNO? I am not familiar with that CSC...

Where did you get your GNote? What was the default language when you turned it on?

Projectrally

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I got my Note from Amazon through a seller called Worldwide Imports. It shipped from California. I don't know more details on the point of origin. The Samsung box and the documentation inside it are in Spanish, as was the default language when I enabled the device. Dialing *#1234# gives a full CSC is N7000UUBKK2, which is not on that XDA list.

Do you know anything about CSCs TTT or TDR? I can't seem to find any info on those either..

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my Note from Amazon through a seller called Worldwide Imports. It shipped from California. I don't know more details on the point of origin. The Samsung box and the documentation inside it are in Spanish, as was the default language when I enabled the device. Dialing *#1234# gives a full CSC is N7000UUBKK2, which is not on that XDA list.

Do you know anything about CSCs TTT or TDR? I can't seem to find any info on those either..

ahh kk2 is your firmware. when you enter *#272*IMEI# are you entering your 15 digit IMEI where it says IMEI?

get your IMEI by dialing *#06# on you dialer.

to to see or change your CSC you would dial *#272*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx# into the dial with the X's being your IMEI.

Remember that changing your CSC will wipe your phone. It will be just like a factory reset.

Projectrally

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Dialing *#1234# gives me PDA, Phone, and CSC versions and build info. That's where I got the KK2 number.

Then I dialed *#06# to get the IMEI number and entered that as you suggested in Post #2 (and again in post #9).

When I dial *#272*IMEI#, I get three options:
VNO (selected)
TTT
TDR

I can't find references to those anywhere, and I'm hesitant to just change them randomly without knowing what they do.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Dialing *#1234# gives me PDA, Phone, and CSC versions and build info. That's where I got the KK2 number.

Then I dialed *#06# to get the IMEI number and entered that as you suggested in Post #2 (and again in post #9).

When I dial *#272*IMEI#, I get three options:
VNO (selected)
TTT
TDR

I can't find references to those anywhere, and I'm hesitant to just change them randomly without knowing what they do.

I agree. I do not think yo have enough information to proceed. Maybe some folks on xda could help. Under the development subforum. Sorry I could not help you more.

Projectrally

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
No, I appreciate all the help you did give me. New to Android (was an iOS user since the original iPhone). I've only had the Note for a few days, and there's a lot to learn...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So...I found a partial answer to this question.
VNO = Venezuela
TTT = Trinidad and Tobago
TDR = Dominican Republic

Great. Not sure how their support is on updates from that region. I would look into flashing a firmware from another Csc. I use la4 from DBT and it is very stable.

Projectrally

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. The biggest problem right now: I'm a Mac user. So is my wife, and all of my close friends. I literally don't have anyone with a PC unless I go visit my in-laws, who live an hour away. I tried using the wineskinned version of Odin that's floating around, but I'm having the problem that everyone else reports, which is that it can't communicate over USB to recognize the device.

There's Heimdall, but I've read mostly bad things about that.

I'll get to the in-laws eventually...

sjfwhite

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. The biggest problem right now: I'm a Mac user. So is my wife, and all of my close friends. I literally don't have anyone with a PC unless I go visit my in-laws, who live an hour away. I tried using the wineskinned version of Odin that's floating around, but I'm having the problem that everyone else reports, which is that it can't communicate over USB to recognize the device.

There's Heimdall, but I've read mostly bad things about that.

I'll get to the in-laws eventually...

I've got the same CSC as yours and also am a mac user. Fortunately, I also have a couple of Windows machines in the house. :)

I am wondering what you wound up doing relative to roms. Seems ours is a more obscure one and I got mine from Expansys (when I received it, the default language was spanish - not being an android user or spanish speaker it sure was fun trying to find the language settings <g>). Did you change your CSC and if so, what did you change it to?

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you posted, there is useful info here, but really, if you are after a better keyboard - your original post - go to the market and you will get plenty of choices.

I'm not updating anything on this untill ICS is rerady and tested for a few weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad