White AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717, possible defect?

clockcycle

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Discovered a hair line crack today on my White AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717. Took it to a corporate store and the manager told me there isn't anything he can do about it, because it isn't a known, reported issue. Well I am here to be the first. Hopefully this doesn't become a common issue and there is some sort of recourse. Meanwhile I will be posting to let others be aware of this possible defect.

11v4lkn.jpg

clockcycle

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
He didn't replace the device? If you have insurance then it should have been replaced?

No insurance, usually a deductible on the replacement, it should be covered via warranty.

I spoke with online support via chat, this being the recommended action, after leaving a support ticket on Samsung Support's facebook page.

Sergio : I will be glad to assist you.
Sergio : Is there any physical damage on the device?
Clockcycle: minor scrapes
Clockcycle: this is the image http://i43.tinypic.com/11v4lkn.jpg
Clockcycle: it is a defect, not from physical damage
Sergio : Thank you for the information.
Sergio : I went through the link, Yes I can find the hair line cracked.
Sergio : Not a problem, your device will be replaced you need to contact purchase center to replace the device.
German: ok, how do I do this?
Sergio : Please visit to the purchase center along with the documents and get it replaced.
Clockcycle: what do you mean by "purchase center"? You mean the store I bought it from, AT&T?
Sergio : Yes, you are correct.
Clockcycle: They said they can not help me, I need to contact Samsung for warranty
Sergio : Thank you for the information.
Sergio : Samsung provides one year warranty for the device and other accessories from the date of purchase.
Sergio : In this situation, I suggest you please contact our voice support team for further information on your request.
Sergio : You can contact our dedicated Galaxy S phones voice support team at 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252).They are available 24/7.

I guess that's the next step. Really sending this back to Samsung and being without a phone while they do their thing, for such a minor cosmetic issue, I wouldn't bother.

Reason I am doing this is to make AT&T and Samsung "aware", so they don't deny the next customer that makes a claim on the same issue an exchange at the store. Without having to jump all these hoops.

Spoke with Samsung # on the box, returned their call. It was recommended I put the phone in a case to prevent moisture, air and debris from entering the opening and damaging the screen. If that were to happen, I would be charged for the repair, as it would be considered physical damage.

clockcycle

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
** RESOLVED (sort of, but I couldn't close) details within...

I have to write this to let people know there is a solution and to give credit where credit is due.

So after going to DSC, they couldn't help me because they don't have the Note to exchange. They recommended I go back to the store.

I went to a store about a block away, explained. They told me I would have to go back to the original store and speak directly to the manager, not to waste time with rep. Explain the situation and have her do an exception and do the replacement.

Instead, I went to one last AT&T store, one that happens to be in a more posh neighborhood. Went directly to a manager (Rick, Coral Cables FL Store). Explained everything, told him what DSC, the other store, AT&T warranty support and Samsung Warranty Support all told me to do. He looked at the phone, looked at a display phone. Went to a rep (Yavon, Coral Gables FL Store) and told him to get me a new replacement.

Trouble started for me, when they tried to look up the account, purchase, via the IMEI on their system. It didn't show up. Happen to be another Manager in a suit and tie was there and helped the rep. Issue here is that it was pre-ordered via online Feb. 15th for the Feb. 17th delivery. Fine they found that.

Here's the next problem, the phone was no longer registered on their system because the original phone number was ported out to another carrier. So they had no active account to complete the swap/replacement..

Brand new replacement box was right in front of me within my grasp and almost in my hands. Alas I could not close the deal because of the technicality. But it goes to prove that it can be done, calmly.. Just have to find the right person. Someone mentioned once, you need to find the person that is there to help you get the issue resolved and doesn't take the exchange/replacement personally.

Again, I posted this because I know there are people that have this issue, and I know there will be others that will eventually suffer through this. For you and them to know that there is/are several solutions to a legitimate problem.

When I left the store, I told the manager and rep that I was thankful for them having taken the time to actually try to resolve my problem and really tried hard to look into the issue and find a solution. I understand I personally hit a stump as far as how much AT&T can do for "me". I let them know that in other stores they were not so willing and just brushed me off instantly dismissing me. And further putting blame on me having caused the damage, by pure speculation and assumption on their part that it must have been that I dropped it or somehow caused it by some sort of physical damage. They apologized.

My next step is Samsung Warranty Repair.

Reactions: J HighNote

Bl4stroid

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
IDK about the US but in the UK if you take the phone to the shop you bought it from they should either replace it themselves or send it to samsung for repair/replacement themselves. You should not have to deal with the manufacturer directly. Trading Standards over here would drop a bollock if they heard you were being messed about so much. Id go back to the shop you bought it from..the exact one..and refuse to leave until they take responcibilty for the after care your due for spending all that money with them in the first place.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

rightrack

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem as shown in the attached photos. I chated with the online support as you did and was redirected to the voice support center again. A representative hinted that the repair would incur a cost of $75 or something because the problem is deemed cosmetic not functional. After a simple counter argument that no other phones would be cracked like this only after a half year of very careful use, she agreed to let me ship the phone via Samsung's RMS to a technician who will eventually make a call whether the phone is damaged at fault or defective. Still no gurantee...but I'll see what they will tell me once they look at this phone.
I'll keep you posted.

View attachment 35428

View attachment 35429

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is unbelievable that a company that can make such wonderful devices has such a problem with customer support! Thanks for posting the details. I am envious of your patience and fortitude!

amylyn1970

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I have gone thru 2 galaxy note white phones. Each has had similar cracking. Fortunetly i have complete coverage and phone was replaced each time.

Just looked my phone over & what do u know. I have one too. I have full coverage, but does it go through warranty exchange or insurance cuz I'd hate to pay $199 for a hairline crack? What does it cost through warranty if that's what it goes through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just looked my phone over & what do u know. I have one too. I have full coverage, but does it go through warranty exchange or insurance cuz I'd hate to pay $199 for a hairline crack? What does it cost through warranty if that's what it goes through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I also have a small crack about 3 inches below the volume keys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

chrisk0032

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The same problem with Samsung service costs $ 199
I also have a small crack about 3 inches below the speke up hairline
.Texas Samsung Repair center $ 199 Out of Warranty

Last edited:

rightrack

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
They said it's out of warranty because the warranty doesn't cover physical and water damage...I said it's not a damage but a material defect...they didn't agree and asked $190 for repair...the phone was shipped back after few days with a notice that the case was cancelled because of no payment...

I've never owned a phone that cracked like this before. Has anyone experienced crack-in-plastic issues with any phones before?

voyager7

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a UK supplied N7000 in white and have exactly the same problem as in original post photo. I have 2 small cracks on the right side of the phone, it's only 6 months old and never been dropped etc, its in mint condition. After conplaining about the issue to Samsung UK, it was sent off to Samsung repair in Norwich in a pre-paid RMSD envelope that was sent to my house. I received the phone back a few days later unrepaired with a letter saying the Warranty does not cover cosmetic damage and a quote for ?138.00 if I wanted to proceed with the repair!!!

Has anyone successfully had a repair/replacement in the UK under warranty? I think it's disgraceful the way Samsung are treating it's customers with genuine issues. They really should take a "Note" from Apple Customer Service, I had an iPhone 3GS which developed a crack in the plastic back after 11 months and after a quick inspection by an Apple Genius, was replaced instantly with a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana