1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Magnet on case distorting S-memo writing

I kept experiencing times when the S-pen would skip, or not write. At first I thought it was the screen protector, I took that off and it seemed to help. But last night I couldn't get it to work in a large area (about the size of a quarter). When I was getting it ready to take to an AT&T store to see what they recommended I decided to scribble over a memo page to outline where the problems were. It soon became clear the dead zone was in direct correlation to where the strap with a magnet was under the phone and latched on to the cover where it was folding behind the phone. I opened the cover so neither the magnet nor the catch were near the phone. Voila, no more dead zone, I could write all over it! I'm sure more technically savvy folks than I can explain it but when I tried to do research I found some folks saying magnets weren't an issue. I intend to replace the strap with the magnet with something elastic. If anyone has found an easy solution, or if leaving the magnet on won't do any long term damage, please let me know. Amazon.com: iTALKonline WHITE Executive SUPER SLIM STICK ON Wallet Case Cover Skin Cover with CALLER DISPLAY For Samsung N7000 Galaxy Note: Electronics
    This is a link to the case I have. I couldn't figure out how to insert pictures of my memos showing the dead zone and then having the dead zone just vanish. WHEW, I was really relieved to know my wonderful Note wasn't really damaged. I hope this helps someone who may experience the same trouble.

You kind of confirm my theory that the S pen uses near magnetic fields, like near field communication and may use the same interface as NFC.

Default Re: Magnet on case distorting S-memo writing

I just posted a thread about having problems with using the Swype text with the stylus, penning on memos and also game apps such as drawing ones, it's so frustrating when you have to use half pen and half finger, I also have a wallet case with a magnetic closure, could this be the problem .it's infuriating only be able to use half a screen p
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I replied in your new thread but thought I'd answer here too. Yes, it's the magnet. Whew, I was relieved to discover that in my case and know it wasn't a repair issue. I carefully sliced open the case where the magnet is on the strap and then covered that area with the hook side of very thin velcro that comes in small squares, then I put the fuzzy side on the case. That fixed the problem. As I have a white case and used white velcro it doesn't even look bad when it's open. I've even thought about adding a few more fuzzy patches to see if I can get the case to adjust when it's open to work like a stand at a few different degrees of slant so I can easily read it in landscape mode. I hope this helps to solve your problem.

ROM
    Stock 2.3.6 (now rooted)

Yeah, uses magnetic.
    A technology similar to the Wacom tablets.

Omg this just happened to me a second ago....im gonna thriw away that cover and never ginna buy a magnetic case ever again.....thx for the post because this confirmed my taughts...thx again and keep it up

I had this problem Here's a vid of my phone. You only need to see the first 20 seconds

I was trying to return a phone case and the seller didn't believe me when I said I was having problems. I'd never buy a magnetic case again

The other issue is that with long term use the magnet also causes problems with the internal compass making the navigation functions not work properly. Over a period of time they damage the phone and also they interfere with the gyroscope. I've also found that on pg25 of the phone's Quick start guide it says "Do not store your device near magnetic fields"; and inclusively states "Do not use carrying cases or accessories with magnetic closures.
    Thanked by 2:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by NightLily View Post
    I had this problem Here's a vid of my phone. You only need to see the first 20 seconds

I was trying to return a phone case and the seller didn't believe me when I said I was having problems. I'd never buy a magnetic case again

The other issue is that with long term use the magnet also causes problems with the internal compass making the navigation functions not work properly. Over a period of time they damage the phone and also they interfere with the gyroscope. I've also found that on pg25 of the phone's Quick start guide it says "Do not store your device near magnetic fields"; and inclusively states "Do not use carrying cases or accessories with magnetic closures.
    Thank you for quoting the quick start guide. I can't tell you how many people have argued that magnets don't effect it.

I have a wallet case that had a magnetic closer until I cut it out after I got paranoid from reading this thread. I did notice the s pen distorting with the magnet. Maybe I'll sew in a velcro closer, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Thank you! Problem solved