1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default (Telus model) Insufficient Storage Space, and high memory usage?

Hey folks,

Picked up the Telus Canadian model of the Galaxy Note a few days ago, and am mostly loving it. But I'm having a few odd issues that I never had with the SGS II before, and am wondering if it's a common problem and/or if it's easily fixed.

The phone is almost always using in the range of 600-670MB out of 732MB of RAM, even after clearing memory; this isn't *that* unusual to me as I saw the same with the SGS II. However, I am noticing significant lag at times, particularly when loading/exiting apps that didn't do this on the SGS II. Is there a known memory leak or anything with the Note? Running GB 2.3.6 stock, not rooted etc.

The other, more annoying issue, is that I am getting random, inexplicable errors stating that there's insufficient storage space available when installing or updating apps. I still have about 1.4GB of System storage, 10GB of USB storage, plus almost my entire 32GB MicroSD card available, so there shouldn't be storage space issues. When this happens, I sometimes find that if I re-try once or twice, or sometimes have to reboot, the app will then install. I'm wondering if this could be linked to the above high memory usage/lag as well.

Any advice would be great, thanks guys!

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3

Default Re: (Telus model) Insufficient Storage Space, and high memory usa

Not sure if I can be of any use here as I have a UK Note, but mine currently has 606mb of RAM in use at idle. I don't have any lag at all, everything is extremely smooth. I am on ICS 4.0.3.

That's strange about the storage issue, I also have about 1.4GB free in the internal app storage and again haven't had any problems.

Have you tried a factory reset?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bentheslayer View Post
    Not sure if I can be of any use here as I have a UK Note, but mine currently has 606mb of RAM in use at idle. I don't have any lag at all, everything is extremely smooth. I am on ICS 4.0.3.

That's strange about the storage issue, I also have about 1.4GB free in the internal app storage and again haven't had any problems.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Haven't tried the factory reset yet as I really don't want to go through setting everything back up again; though it's an option if things continue to act up. I wonder if the ICS upgrade fixes the issues -- but we won't be seeing the update officially here til at least July.

I first noticed the storage issue when I initially activated the Note. When it connected to Google Play to auto-download all my apps I'd downloaded with my other Android devices, probably about 40-50% of them failed with that error... and from that point, many of the apps that should've been showing up in my "Not Downloaded" list disappeared, which was irritating as I had to go and find them all manually again.

BTW, is the UK Note the 7000 model, or the 717D (which I have), or something else?

ROM
    ICS 4.0.3

The UK model is the GT-N7000. Sorry to hear you've been having all these problems!

Something must be wrong with your note. I too have a note on the Telus network and my phone typically sits between 350 and 475 for memory use. I am heavy user with lots of apps including virus program and still have alot of available memory.

I also have no issues loading apps

Sent from my Telus Galaxy Note
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by makailey3111 View Post
    Something must be wrong with your note. I too have a note on the Telus network and my phone typically sits between 350 and 475 for memory use. I am heavy user with lots of apps including virus program and still have alot of available memory.
    Thanks for the feedback, especially being a fellow Telus model user. So I just rebooted my Note as I was for some reason unable to connect to Telus's network until doing so (strange but not the first time I've seen that happen on my phones).. After rebooting and some light usage, the memory was sitting in the range of 450MB in use; just under 400 after clearing it.

I would wager a bet that if I come back and check on that again later tonight, it'll be back up in the 600MB+ range, as I have consistently been for the last few days. Once the memory usage gets above that point, the phone does get noticeably laggy. I hope it's just an app or something minor causing it, and not a defective unit...

Try clearing out the caches for your most used apps. Apps like Twitter can cache huge amounts.

I use "Stats of " to keep track of most use apps.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

I'm also running fearly high and I don't know why, also got the Telus version as well. Running at 600 right now :s
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Following up; got the ICS OTA update and the Note has never run better!

Battery life is still a bit random but does seem improved. The phone is running significantly smoother/faster and more stable. Lag is mostly gone on the home screens etc, and apps seem to load a bit quicker too.

Memory usage seems to have lowered a bit. Still gets up there, but when cleaning memory it'll often drop to the 300-400mb range, so a lot better than before.

Problem with downloading any new apps from Google Play Store. Always telling me there is insufficent data when I know I have plenty of room. Saw another post stating the same issues but found that upon un-installing all latest "updates" I now no longer have this problem. Kind of a pain but if you sort thru all the updates and uninstall them I found I now have no problem with downloading any new apps (at least it works for now!)

Quote Originally Posted by suzet58 View Post
    Problem with downloading any new apps from Google Play Store. Always telling me there is insufficent data when I know I have plenty of room. Saw another post stating the same issues but found that upon installing all latest "updates" I now no longer have this problem. Kind of a pain but if you sort thru all the updates and uninstall them I found I now have no problem with downloading any new apps (at least it works for now!)