External Memory Nightmares.

Murray de Schot

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

First post on this forum and hope that you chaps (and chapettes) can help me out.

I had the same problem with my Galaxy S2 and now it's happening with my Note too!

Okay, I have a Galaxy Note with 16gb onboard memory and a 32gb Micro SD card for external memory.

I've used Samsung's Kies software to populate the Internal memory with music files (MP3 and FLAC files). They list under Music, play and all is well.

However, as I've 11gb stored, I've pretty much used all the internal memory I can. I want to add another 20gb + of music files onto the External memory and this is where the problems begin.

Using Kies to send the files (again MP3 and FLAC) to the external memory, once the files have been transferred they appear in music under an "Unknown" heading and are listed there, as opposed to on the main menu by artist, album, etc. (My ideal is that, say Deadmau5 albums from the both internal memory and external memory, sit under the artist title, Deadmau5 and are accessible and playable from their). However when I try to play any file in Unknown, i.e. the external memory, the phone just shows a message "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file".

I've checked the Micro SD card and rewritten it and it's come up on all tests as A-OK.

In the past, I tried simply copying files onto the Micro SD card and slotting it into the phone, but that didn't work either.

Please can someone help in non-IT terms how I can resolve the problems I've got?!!!

Best regards,

Murray

Elrohir

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I have all my music on the SD Card and it works without problems. I tried Kies only once and noticed that it messed with the tags on flac files, I can only asume that's because flac uses a different format for tags.

Little question, which music player do you use?

j3ck3lr

May 16, 2012
Visit site
mine would only play a few songs, so now i use meridian. doesnt seem to have problems anymore. id use winamp but it constantly crashed

Elrohir

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
A little idea I just had, did you try to reformat the SD Card directly on the phone? I did this when I got my card. Maybe thats the reason I dont have problems. :)

Sova Tao

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 16gb micro sd card couple days ago for my note 2 where I can put my musics, pix, videos, documents and other stuffs there. I was able to do so with no problem. I was able to play music, view my pix, play video from there - no problem. This morning I deleted one of my songs and after I did it screwed up everything. I tried to play the next song and guess what it kept saying "file not supported." I exited out from the app that I was using to play my musics and went right back in and found that the micro sd card is no longer detected or recognized. I took out the micro sd card and plugged it into my pc and was able play my music and view my files from there. So the sd card is fine but there's something wrong with Note 2. Any idea why this is happening and how can I fix this problem? Thx.

Bradah

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey man try not using Kies to put music into Micro SD intead dragging your songs into the micro sd card using widnows exploere (unless you got mac then using kies is only thign) but dragng songs to micro sd using windwos exploerer is alot easieer and works perfectly on me note

jonda99

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been so aggrivated by Kies, that I use it as seldom as possible. I've been using DoubleTwist, and have had much better luck with media files, and playlists transferring. Be aware that you have to set Double Twist to save to external SD card before transfer.