Just bought my galaxy note!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Excited to say I will be a note owner in about a week. Bought a used note off swap pa.com for $375 can't wait for it to get here

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Excited to say I will be a note owner in about a week. Bought a used note off swap pa.com for $375 can't wait for it to get here

Congratulations! You'll be delighted, I'm sure. The Galaxy Note is really the best.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations! You'll be delighted, I'm sure. The Galaxy Note is really the best.

Ya I played with one down at AT&T and fell in love might the the first droid since the og droid that I will keep for more than 4 months lol

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forum and family of Note owners. Did you get a white or carbon blue model?

Neilzul mentioned ColdFushion and I too highly recommend you check out his YouTube channel. That guy seems to be an expert on the Note, and he has a lot of useful information for just the everyday user. A lot of simple and practical stuff. :)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just received the device today amd am loving this thing is awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just received the device today amd am loving this thing is awesome

So glad you're enjoying it. If you have any issues just ask on here. Also, when I first got mine, I found a lot of good tips and the manual after I registered it at Samsung. My favorite feature is the S note. I'm sure you'll find the Note a great asset as a tool and an awful lot of fun!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So glad you're enjoying it. If you have any issues just ask on here. Also, when I first got mine, I found a lot of good tips and the manual after I registered it at Samsung. My favorite feature is the S note. I'm sure you'll find the Note a great asset as a tool and an awful lot of fun!

I can't upgrade it to ics. It is still on 2.3.6 and kies won't work to upgrade it and ota won't work either. Tries removing and installing kies a few times and it doesn't work. Ota says my software is up to date.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't upgrade it to ics. It is still on 2.3.6 and kies won't work to upgrade it and ota won't work either. Tries removing and installing kies a few times and it doesn't work. Ota says my software is up to date.

Okay, let's work through this. When you open Kies air on both your Note and your pc, does it say it needs to upgrade? You have to have Kies on a pc for this to work. I installed it on my desktop and it said it needed to upgrade. I worked through instructions that were from a link that samsung sent me. I'll go look for it and get back to you with it. I followed the instructions to the letter because I was very nervous about doing it and I didn't have any problems. First, before the update make sure your note is fully charged. It'll recalibrate the battery and if it's low, that'll be the new full. I'll be right back with the link.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Here's the link at Samsung's to work through the upgrade process. Let me know how you make out with this.

SAMSUNG

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by ryanr509<br />
I can't upgrade it to ics. It is still on 2.3.6 and kies won't work to upgrade it and ota won't work either. Tries removing and installing kies a few times and it doesn't work. Ota says my software is up to date.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Okay, let's work through this. When you open Kies air on both your Note and your pc, does it say it needs to upgrade? You have to have Kies on a pc for this to work. I installed it on my desktop and it said it needed to upgrade. I worked through instructions that were from a link that samsung sent me. I'll go look for it and get back to you with it. I followed the instructions to the letter because I was very nervous about doing it and I didn't have any problems. First, before the update make sure your note is fully charged. It'll recalibrate the battery and if it's low, that'll be the new full. I'll be right back with the link.
I had kies on my pc and when I plugged in the note its says there is a firmware upgrade available. When I go to upgrade it goes through the first 2 loading screens fine. Then when my phone goes to a screen that has the little android guy on it and says "downloading" it just doesn't do anything. Left it plugged in for over 4 hours yesterday amd it didn't move 1% after it go to that stage in the update process. When I do kies air I don't get any notification to update firmware and I didn't even see a place where it said anyhing about updating

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I had kies on my pc and when I plugged in the note its says there is a firmware upgrade available. When I go to upgrade it goes through the first 2 loading screens fine. Then when my phone goes to a screen that has the little android guy on it and says "downloading" it just doesn't do anything. Left it plugged in for over 4 hours yesterday amd it didn't move 1% after it go to that stage in the update process. When I do kies air I don't get any notification to update firmware and I didn't even see a place where it said anyhing about updating

OH dear, I don't think I can help. Once I had it to the point where it was downloading, it went pretty smoothly as I remember. I wouldn't suggest AT&T support but you might try calling Samsung. Also, my first choice would be to start a new thread here and put in the subject line that your upgrade stops mid-download so that it might draw the attention of someone who can help. If I see anything elsewhere I'll let you know. If you look at your phone under Menu > Settings > About Phone.
Scroll to the bottom and look for Baseband Version. It should be I717UCLA1 before updating. It will be I777UCLF6 after the update. What does yours' say? (this is the at&t version...)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
OH dear, I don't think I can help. Once I had it to the point where it was downloading, it went pretty smoothly as I remember. I wouldn't suggest AT&T support but you might try calling Samsung. Also, my first choice would be to start a new thread here and put in the subject line that your upgrade stops mid-download so that it might draw the attention of someone who can help. If I see anything elsewhere I'll let you know. If you look at your phone under Menu > Settings > About Phone.
Scroll to the bottom and look for Baseband Version. It should be I717UCLA1 before updating. It will be I777UCLF6 after the update. What does yours' say? (this is the at&t version...)

Ya mine says ucla1 android 2.3.6 I think ill try another computer and see what happens.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Welp tried it on a buddies laptop and it would get to about 5% on the actual firmware upgrade the very last part then say the internet connection timed out. Trying it on a different computer. First download of kies wouldn't open for some reason so download it again aamd going to try one more time. Who ever decided to not push this OTA needs to get stabbed in the eyes

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Welp tried it on a buddies laptop and it would get to about 5% on the actual firmware upgrade the very last part then say the internet connection timed out. Trying it on a different computer. First download of kies wouldn't open for some reason so download it again aamd going to try one more time. Who ever decided to not push this OTA needs to get stabbed in the eyes

I am so sorry you're running into this trouble! I'm not crazy about AT&T support but do you think it might be worthwhile to take it to one of their better stores or even a service place and tell them to deal with the upgrade? If I remember right, if you go to the AT&T wireless site and look for stores in your area, there is a highlight for stores that can provide service, or might be better somehow. I think you would have every right to hand it to the manager and say you've done more than enough, it's his turn to get your phone to upgrade!

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

Does your Note have any warranty from where you bought it? Sounds as if this updating issue may be the reason the prior owner wanted to sell it . . . :(

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Does your Note have any warranty from where you bought it? Sounds as if this updating issue may be the reason the prior owner wanted to sell it . . . :(

Well the one computer wouldn't update because of internet connection issues and then the other computer had a problem downloadin kies so I don't think it is the phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781