Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LordGreylock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Coming from iPhone to the Note

I have an iPhone 4 (along with other devices as well), and the Note seems like an awesome device. Hoping the Note II comes to VZW.

Questions for all you former iPhone users:

1). Did the Note really change the way you interact with your smartphone? I mean, I've seen the vids from ColdFustion on how you can hook a keyboard and mouse up, and basically make the Note like a mini computer. Does anyone actually do this? Also, is the S-Pen more of a novelty, or have you found a generally useful purpose for it?

2). Has Skype worked as good for you as FaceTime did on the iPhone? I only mention Skype because that is the only one I know of.

3). I can type much better on my iPhone than I can on my DX. Is the bigger screen on the Note make it easier to type on?

I have been interested in the Note for a while. And the leaks of the iPhone 5 are a joke to me - screen is way too small. I sure hope it comes to VZW.

Thanks

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    I have an iPhone 4 (along with other devices as well), and the Note seems like an awesome device. Hoping the Note II comes to VZW.

1). Did the Note really change the way you interact with your smartphone? I mean, I've seen the vids from ColdFustion on how you can hook a keyboard and mouse up, and basically make the Note like a mini computer. Does anyone actually do this? Also, is the S-Pen more of a novelty, or have you found a generally useful purpose for it?

2). Has Skype worked as good for you as FaceTime did on the iPhone? I only mention Skype because that is the only one I know of.

3). I can type much better on my iPhone than I can on my DX. Is the bigger screen on the Note make it easier to type on?

I have been interested in the Note for a while. And the leaks of the iPhone 5 are a joke to me - screen is way too small. I sure hope it comes to VZW.

Thanks
    For me personally the bigger screen had helped me with my job as an engineer. I can use the spen and draw on a screen capped drawing and make notes for the drafter.

I personally prefer tango your video calls. And it works great.

A far as typing, yes. Bigger layout allows for less miss typed words and ics gives you 1 handed keyboard layout option. I personally prefer the stock baked in Swype.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Yeah its tango skype oovoo and plenty other video callin apps

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    DAS

Global Posts
    976 Global Posts

Default Re: Coming from iPhone to the Note

@mountainman: The S-Pen is, IMO, what separates the Note from any other phone or tablet.

I have heard people say they rarely use it, but I really can't understand why? The value added by the S-Pen is incredible. I use the pen everyday, pretty much all day. When I go into a meeting at work I carry the Galaxy Note, and with the pen I am able to write handwritten notes right on my device. After a meeting is over I can send those handwritten notes directly to Dropbox or Evernote for cloud storing.

No need to have paper and pen, and if there are any handouts in the meeting I can take a picture of the document using the Note's camera, and upload the image into S-Memo or S-Note and make markings right on the device.

I recently purchased the Note 10.1, and the larger screen size, along with the pen takes note taking electronically to whole other level.

However, just using my 5.3 device is sufficient. Standing around talking to friends or colleagues and you need to make a quick note, get a phone number or their email address, you simply pull out your Note and S-Pen and you avoid the searching around for a pen & paper. How many times has that happened?

Let me just say the S-Pen is not a novelty. You will definitely use it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks everyone. DAS - I never even thought of that - taking a pic and then annotating it. Would be valuable for me @ work as well.

ROM
    Liquid[JB] / beastmode

I used an iPhone before switching to the Note and I would never change back

1. I don't use the S-Pen often, there is just no need for it for the things I do, but it worked really well when I used it. As for the mobile computer. I use my Note to stream Youtube to my Tv, does that count?

2. I never used facetime but Skype works great

3. If you get the note, use Swype. It may be hard to get used to but its well worth it. I switched to a Jellybean rom last week and I'm thinking about going back to stock just because I miss Swype.

As for the Screen. You WILL be spoiled by the screen. After using the Note(and getting used to the size) there is just no going back to smaller screens
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Elrohir View Post
    I used an iPhone before switching to the Note and I would never change back

1. I don't use the S-Pen often, there is just no need for it for the things I do, but it worked really well when I used it. As for the mobile computer. I use my Note to stream Youtube to my Tv, does that count?

2. I never used facetime but Skype works great

3. If you get the note, use Swype. It may be hard to get used to but its well worth it. I switched to a Jellybean rom last week and I'm thinking about going back to stock just because I miss Swype.

As for the Screen. You WILL be spoiled by the screen. After using the Note(and getting used to the size) there is just no going back to smaller screens
    Do you stream it through an HDMI cable? How does that work on the Note?

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Do you stream it through an HDMI cable? How does that work on the Note?
    Yes. Search for mhl adaptor. It plugs into your micro USB port and you plug in your wall charger to the converter. There is a full size hdmi port on there and presto! Your phones screen is duplicated on an HD TV.

ROM
    Liquid[JB] / beastmode

Quote Originally Posted by unglued94ta View Post
    Yes. Search for mhl adaptor. It plugs into your micro USB port and you plug in your wall charger to the converter. There is a full size hdmi port on there and presto! Your phones screen is duplicated on an HD TV.

Actually no, I dont use the adapter. I just stream it with

Thanks everyone. DAS - I never even thought of that - taking a pic and then annotating it. Would be valuable for me @ work as well.
    Annotating pictures is so easy too. One morning I had about 15 minutes before work so I took close ups of my front garden, about 7 pictures, and taught myself how to do it and labeled all the plants. In the early spring, it's hard to remember what's planted where. You can also easily take screen shots of the web and write on the screenshot as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coming from iPhone to the Note-186.jpg  
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

That is just fantastic. C'mon VZW bring it.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

i'm thinking of trading my 4s for the new note only because i started to read a lot and my wife took the ipad. i use my ipad more than the iphone when i have both and don't want to buy another tablet and have a phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
    i'm thinking of trading my 4s for the new note only because i started to read a lot and my wife took the ipad. i use my ipad more than the iphone when i have both and don't want to buy another tablet and have a phone as well.
    It is one of the reasons why I even contemplate getting the Note. It would be great for reading and I wouldn't have to go to the iPad all the time.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

i was even thinking of dumping my iphone and just going with a wifi tablet, but probably won't do it.

i have wifi at home and work and don't really want to pay for 3g data anymore

That's what I did. I sold my iPad and my iPhone 4 cuz I got tired of carrying 2 devices around. I have to say that I love the Note & don't miss my iPhone or iPad at all. Netflix looks awesome on the Note & reading books is no problem at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

One thing I immediately noticed Android was sadly lacking coming from iOS was GLOBAL Badge Notifications.
    Yes, alot of Apps support SMS / GMail / Missed Calls but frankly, IMO that's not nearly good enough.

Here's how you can get GLOBAL Badge Notifications working on Android--> [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications
    Last edited by Lanhoj; 09-02-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    One thing I immediately noticed Android was sadly lacking coming from iOS was GLOBAL Badge Notifications.
    Yes, alot of Apps support SMS / GMail / Missed Calls but frankly, IMO that's not nearly good enough.

Here's how you can get GLOBAL Badge Notifications working on Android--> [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications
    That's one of the things that I like better with Android are the notifications.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Your post made me smile because one of the things about iOS that drove me crazy was the badge notifications! I hated having the numbers cluttering my icons. Needless to say, I don't have them turned on even in apps where they're available. I much prefer an icon in the notification tray and keeping my screen notification-free. It's all a matter of preference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by datawalla View Post
    I much prefer an icon in the notification tray and keeping my screen notification-free. It's all a matter of preference.
    You mean at the top in the Status Bar?
    LoL, I hate them up there so I use an App called "StatusBar+" to hide them keeping my Status Bar looking clean & never changing or cluttered...hence my need for some sort of alternative Notification system.

Link-->

I just did this because the note is my computer/phone/MP3 player all in one. Took about 1 week to get used to the size but now it feels fine. I pick up my gf's galaxy nexus and it almost seems small

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by amylyn1970 View Post
    That's what I did. I sold my iPad and my iPhone 4 cuz I got tired of carrying 2 devices around. I have to say that I love the Note & don't miss my iPhone or iPad at all. Netflix looks awesome on the Note & reading books is no problem at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    This is exactly what I did too. I have been super happy with the decision. I don't miss my iPad or iPhone at all.
    amylyn1970 likes this.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Can someone clarify if the Note has NFC?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by cdawg4501 View Post
    Can someone clarify if the Note has NFC?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    At&t yes. International no

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Samung Ics Indonesia

Thanks
    Recall the day when i had an ipod touch.
    I need pc a lot for that.

I Jiraiya. The Epitome of Manliness.