Att data scam?

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok when i was on verizon w my thunderbolt i only had a 4gig plan and never went over. I come to att w the note and two weeks into the billing period im getting warnings about going over my data plan. Im like wtf?!? Mon thru fri im on wifi from 9-5 . When im at home im on wifi and i hardly use data when im out and about. I talk to an att rep yesterday and she tells me that wifi is only for email and web use and that other apps may still use mobile data even though im connected to wifi .WTF!?!?!?! I asked if this was an att thing and the rep couldnt answer the queation she said that if i didnt want to use mobile data while i was on wifi to turn off mobile data and thats what she tells her kids to do when they are home. I was like no wonder im racking so much in overages!

Has me seriously thinking about switching back to verizon...

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok when i was on verizon w my thunderbolt i only had a 4gig plan and never went over. I come to att w the note and two weeks into the billing period im getting warnings about going over my data plan. Im like wtf?!? Mon thru fri im on wifi from 9-5 . When im at home im on wifi and i hardly use data when im out and about. I talk to an att rep yesterday and she tells me that wifi is only for email and web use and that other apps may still use mobile data even though im connected to wifi .WTF!?!?!?! I asked if this was an att thing and the rep couldnt answer the queation she said that if i didnt want to use mobile data while i was on wifi to turn off mobile data and thats what she tells her kids to do when they are home. I was like no wonder im racking so much in overages!

I don't have any proof but I'm not sure if I believe her.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you running ics? If so turn on your data monitor when you have your wifi on and see if it changes any.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That is a flat-out lie. Data is unlimited over Wi-Fi.

I have to ask you, but does the Wi-Fi and 4G icon appear on your phone at the same time? Are you using any data-monitoring tools or AT&T Messenger by chance?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am with Verizon. I switched from unlimited to the new share. When I am on wifi I can do anything. Am not using my data. And my 4g icon isn't on cause I am on wifi. Don't know why att is that way....

sent from my Rezound

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am with Verizon. I switched from unlimited to the new share. When I am on wifi I can do anything. Am not using my data. And my 4g icon isn't on cause I am on wifi. Don't know why att is that way....

sent from my Rezound

And it shouldn't be on. The reason I asked that question is because a few of us ran into that issue where both appeared because AT&T Messaging uses cellular data and only cellular data, it doesn't work on Wi-Fi. It forces your phone to use both, or at least appear that way. Data Watchdog also works this way, that is why I am asking the OP that question, maybe he's on 4G and doesn't know it.

alent1234

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
interesting, i have an iphone on AT&T but thinking of getting the note 2

been on AT&T for years and never went over my 2GB. do you have any background downloading set up? what about at night? when i come home i usually turn off my cellular data to force it on wifi. when the screen is locked the iphone defaults to 3g.

i'm thinking that you might have some apps set to download data at night. slacker radio?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Check ur wifi setting and make sure the keep wifi on during sleep is set to always.or the wifi will shut off when ur phone goes into sleep mode and will go back to ur mobile data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
That is a flat-out lie. Data is unlimited over Wi-Fi.

I have to ask you, but does the Wi-Fi and 4G icon appear on your phone at the same time? Are you using any data-monitoring tools or AT&T Messenger by chance?

I'm not saying data isnt unlimited.I'm not saying they charge you for what you use on Wi-Fi

What I am saying is that their phones aren't programmed properly and while you are on wifi your phone goes to the mobile network for some apps and not others. This was confirmed by the att rep. She told me to prevent this to turn off mobile data when connected to wifi.

onlyoneromeo

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Check ur wifi setting and make sure the keep wifi on during sleep is set to always.or the wifi will shut off when ur phone goes into sleep mode and will go back to ur mobile data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Its on and what I've done to curb this is install juice defender to cut my radios off while on wifi. It.makes a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol