Really need help with Note after ICS upgrade

Luv_Note

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Before I start...Please don't flame me.

I have a Galaxy Note 1: SGH-I717. I absolutely love it. I use it for a mobile office, reading on the e-reader, reading and doing research on the web, . I don't game on the phone, or do social networking, and don't use apps/widgets that have security problems like hardware controls, services that cost you money, stops phone from sleeping, etc. I don't do google, although I have an account to send large data files and you need a google account for android, I don't sync to google or any other website.

So my phone was clean, but about 2 months ago it started to get slow and sluggish (and not just web and email). The whole device was just very slow going from screen to screen, and glitchy. I started monitoring CPU, data and battery usage to try and see what it was going on. Nothing jumped out as a red flag.

After reading alot about ICS and how it made the phone better faster, upgraded to ICS about 3 weeks.

Well, first thing Google search didn't work. So rebooted, deleted app off home page, re-installed on home page, re-booted again....wala..it works. Everything fine for about a week, and now all of the following is happening:

- black screens of death started to happen in every screen
- programs crashing
- web timing out, emails not loading.
- phone connection problems
- battery drain severe
- new apps in my settings/application list that I have not downloaded (and they have severe security issues, and I can't un-install so they must be part of ICS, and they don't show up on monitoring widgets)

Now each time my web times out or is snail loading I do a restart and it gets better loading, but it is still slower than before the upgrade. I'm very frustrated right now about what to look for, or do. I'm reaching out to this forum for help. I'm considering down grading back to gingerbread. I've read articles and forums that give instructions on how to do this for both rooted and unrooted phones. And I've read about the risk of bricking my phone, which I really don't want to do. And of course last resort is buying a new ATT Note 1, again.

So what do you guys think is the problem, and how to solve this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Before I start...Please don't flame me.

I have a Galaxy Note 1: SGH-I717. I absolutely love it. I use it for a mobile office, reading on the e-reader, reading and doing research on the web, . I don't game on the phone, or do social networking, and don't use apps/widgets that have security problems like hardware controls, services that cost you money, stops phone from sleeping, etc. I don't do google, although I have an account to send large data files and you need a google account for android, I don't sync to google or any other website.

So my phone was clean, but about 2 months ago it started to get slow and sluggish (and not just web and email). The whole device was just very slow going from screen to screen, and glitchy. I started monitoring CPU, data and battery usage to try and see what it was going on. Nothing jumped out as a red flag.

After reading alot about ICS and how it made the phone better faster, upgraded to ICS about 3 weeks.

Well, first thing Google search didn't work. So rebooted, deleted app off home page, re-installed on home page, re-booted again....wala..it works. Everything fine for about a week, and now all of the following is happening:

- black screens of death started to happen in every screen
- programs crashing
- web timing out, emails not loading.
- phone connection problems
- battery drain severe
- new apps in my settings/application list that I have not downloaded (and they have severe security issues, and I can't un-install so they must be part of ICS, and they don't show up on monitoring widgets)

Now each time my web times out or is snail loading I do a restart and it gets better loading, but it is still slower than before the upgrade. I'm very frustrated right now about what to look for, or do. I'm reaching out to this forum for help. I'm considering down grading back to gingerbread. I've read articles and forums that give instructions on how to do this for both rooted and unrooted phones. And I've read about the risk of bricking my phone, which I really don't want to do. And of course last resort is buying a new ATT Note 1, again.

So what do you guys think is the problem, and how to solve this. Thanks.

have you done a FACTORY DATA RESET
menu
settings
factory data reset

Luv_Note

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply SP. No I haven't. I've been waiting for replies of opinions. I read that a reset would not change the OS back to GB, but only wipe out new apps and widgets and reset settings. So you do that after clearing your cache didn't work. I'm wondering if I have a virus, because the web is either loading ok (but not great) after I restart or is so slow it takes minutes to open something. I didn't see anything on factory reset solving a virus. So I was thinking of clearing my cache, and if that didn't work then do a factory reset. I read to make sure nothing was running before clearing a cache, but how do you do that (confirm nothing is running)? And then what method would you do to clear the cache? I read there's different types, either app by app, or whole system, or a cache clearing app. Thanks again.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I recommend a fresh factory reset after an OS upgrade. You can use task manager to close out all applications however and use a cache clearing app (I like AndroidAssistant). Also reboot into recovery mode and select "clear data cache" helps.

Sent from my phablet.