Is the Jelly Bean Update worth it?

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have a new unlocked At&t Galaxy Note that was bought from Amazon in brand new condition with 4.0.4 ICS fresh out of the box. It is unlocked and rooted and activated on T-Mobile's prepaid plan. I love ICS with it's features, but a question has been pondering my mind. Ever since the official 4.1.2 update from At&t came out, I have heard lots of issues with lag, battery life draining, and other issues. I was pondering about updating my note via Odin or Kies, but now that I think about it, my biggest concern would be the battery life of my phone, as it is excellent right now. So is the update worth it? Share your experiences.

anon(963605)

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the device myself, but the Note is a popular device, it should have a lot of roms I think. So, when you update, I'd try it and if you don't like it download a rom and run those, I have a Galaxy Nexus and the battery life on the normal software is crap, now I installed CyanogenMod 10.1 (4.2.2) and it's wonderful. And if that doesn't work, you can always downgrade Android back to 4.0.4.

dsamis300

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
To be honest with you it depends on what you do in your note. Do you use it mostly to talk and text then its fine do the upgrade, but if you use it mostly for editing photos and stuff then I would think twice before installing the upgrade because once you upgrade you can not go back to ICS. I have the same phone did the upgrade and now its crap I can not find most of my folders where I keep my edited pictures I did a factory reset twice and still having the same problem took it to ATT service center and those people dont know what they doing could not get it to work. I asked them to installed back ICS and they said thats not possible so now I am stucked with a really good phone and crappy jelly bean.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I did the upgrade, and am getting a full day off a charge. I should also say that I have disabled all bloatware, and apps that I rarely use ie Google Now. Right now I am at 49% and 7:25, so all in all, not bad. I usually get between 11 and 14 hrs or so out of a charge, depending on what I do.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using AC Forums mobile app

Jeremy W

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I've signed up here today because I'm looking around for options due to updating my N7000 Note last week from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2. The battery life has reduced dramatically (from 8-10% a day with light use to 20-25%), and the multi-window function (which is what tempted me to upgrade in the first place) vanishes for no reason, needing to be re-enabled at least twice a week. None of the weather apps available for 4.1.2 are as good as the stock one that came with the phone out of the box. Personally, I think 4.1.2 is a bad upgrade.
Oh, and it is really slow to load basic functions such as messaging and contacts compared to 4.0.4

Last edited: