Galaxy Note - GPS Interference

jbottiger

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have read some of the posts in the general android forums indicating that LTE is at least partially responsible for the GPS issues that are occurring. However, I need to know if users of the Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (SGH-i717) have had issues with the GPS.

Our company is working on an app that uses GPS, and I am testing the features of this app. The main issue encountered occurs when the device is in a vehicle running the app we are developing, and the driver pulls into a parking lot, for example. As soon as s/he shuts off the engine, grabs the device, and exits the vehicle, the map in this app will not rotate for several minutes, even when rotating the device. Furthermore, when it starts to rotate, it is off by several degrees. Sometimes, the user rotates the device 180 degrees, but the GPS moves only 90, or maybe not even move at all. If the user stops and restarts the app, the GPS orientation is OK again. Keep in mind that all of this is occurring upon exiting and stepping away from the vehicle. Also, GPS was working fine while driving, and if the user stops moving, GPS may become disoriented.

I have run several more tests using two Note 1 devices: one running our app, and one running the GPS Status app, so that we can compare the behaviors of the two apps. Initially, both apps appeared to have generated the same GPS values (bearing, heading, direction), but that result is inconclusive. Also, when placing the devices in the vehicle, if I move the device from the passenger seat to the driver seat (holding it against the steering wheel--not while driving of course) without changing orientation, the GPS compass changes course unexpectedly. This is probably due to electromagnetic interference (EMF) within the vehicle (please confirm this readers). Also, there could be some buffering issues WRT the map feature of our app and/or GPS Status.

The most recent test conducted started with calibrating the two devices: hold flat in palm of hand and rotate 3 times; hold it on its side (landscape) and rotate 3 times; hold it right side up (portrait) and rotate 3 times. Then I placed the devices on the passenger side: one on the floor, one on the seat. During my drive, I occasionally experienced the orientation of the map (in our app) and/or GPS status being off while stopped at red lights, but once I started moving again, the orientations righted themselves. When I stepped out of the vehicle, the GPS compass orientations for both apps were off. When I rotated (facing East, then North, etc.), the compasses in both apps changed, but the differences between expected and actual measurements were still off. About 6 minutes later, the GPS compass orientation rectified itself in our app (didn't confirm with the GPS status app as we were more concerned with our app, but was sure that the orientation corrected itself in the GPS status app also).

Could someone please advise if anyone had the same GPS issues with the Note 1 devices? Also, if anyone knows of a solution within the Android device that can eliminate or significantly reduce the issue of GPS disorientation, especially when leaving a vehicle, please provide.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

V/R,
John J. Bottiger

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss