PC Won't Browse It

djhg

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
My windows xp PC won't browse my Galaxy Note SGH 1717D running Android OS 4.0.4

Web-searches have suggested the following fixes (none of which have worked despite running the kies troubleshooter repeatedly in the midst of them all):

-turning usb debugging on or off
-rebooting the computer
-rebooting the phone with debugging freshly turned on
-rebooting the phone with debugging freshly turned off
-re-installing the drivers on the pc from Device Manager (which can see the phone) both from automatically finding them and by directing them to the phone
-removing and reinserting battery, simm card, external usb card
-uninstalling obsolete and redundant usb drivers from the xp machine with a utility called 'usbdeview'
-using a variety of different cables
-using different usb ports on the pc
-disconnecting all other usb connections to the pc

A windows 7 machine currently recognizes the phone immediately (though that's not always been reliable either.) But I keep that machine clean and won't install Samsung software on it.

Formerly the XP pc's connection to the Note was inconsistent, often requiring Kies to be launched and usually it's 'connection troubleshooter' run a few times. (Downloading and re-installing Kies every single time. Usually about 15 minutes just to make a connection, but eventually it would work.) Whenever the phone was successfully browsable, I got a black screen on it telling me that it was connected via usb with some progress dots.

But for quite a few months now, none of that works, and if anything happens at all, I get this message: "unable to find software on your PC that can recognize your device.." and so on, telling me to install Kies which is of course installed and of which I dutifullly run the troubleshooter but to no avail. The info bar on the phone tells me that the phone is connected to the pc as a media device, and "safely remove hardware" on the pc tells me the phone is connected to the pc. But I can't browse files.

There is no official Samsung support offering solutions (to anything, in my experience) other than to just wipe my phone clean and start all over again. Can't do that without being able to back my phone up to my pc first, which of course doesn't work now (but in fact backup to the XP machine has never worked in the life of the phone, and without a consistent pc connection I've never been able to troubleshoot it.)

If the big iPhone 6 offered pressure sensitivity in a stylus, I'd be gone from this in a shot.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My windows xp PC won't browse my Galaxy Note SGH 1717D running Android OS 4.0.4

Web-searches have suggested the following fixes (none of which have worked despite running the kies troubleshooter repeatedly in the midst of them all):

-turning usb debugging on or off
-rebooting the computer
-rebooting the phone with debugging freshly turned on
-rebooting the phone with debugging freshly turned off
-re-installing the drivers on the pc from Device Manager (which can see the phone) both from automatically finding them and by directing them to the phone
-removing and reinserting battery, simm card, external usb card
-uninstalling obsolete and redundant usb drivers from the xp machine with a utility called 'usbdeview'
-using a variety of different cables
-using different usb ports on the pc
-disconnecting all other usb connections to the pc

A windows 7 machine currently recognizes the phone immediately (though that's not always been reliable either.) But I keep that machine clean and won't install Samsung software on it.

Formerly the XP pc's connection to the Note was inconsistent, often requiring Kies to be launched and usually it's 'connection troubleshooter' run a few times. (Downloading and re-installing Kies every single time. Usually about 15 minutes just to make a connection, but eventually it would work.) Whenever the phone was successfully browsable, I got a black screen on it telling me that it was connected via usb with some progress dots.

But for quite a few months now, none of that works, and if anything happens at all, I get this message: "unable to find software on your PC that can recognize your device.." and so on, telling me to install Kies which is of course installed and of which I dutifullly run the troubleshooter but to no avail. The info bar on the phone tells me that the phone is connected to the pc as a media device, and "safely remove hardware" on the pc tells me the phone is connected to the pc. But I can't browse files.

There is no official Samsung support offering solutions (to anything, in my experience) other than to just wipe my phone clean and start all over again. Can't do that without being able to back my phone up to my pc first, which of course doesn't work now (but in fact backup to the XP machine has never worked in the life of the phone, and without a consistent pc connection I've never been able to troubleshoot it.)

If the big iPhone 6 offered pressure sensitivity in a stylus, I'd be gone from this in a shot.

Did you try installing an older version of Samsung KIES? XP is no longer supported to finding support to get the phone working with XP may be very slim. Why not just use the Windows 7 machine to do the back up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC