Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Gaining Root on the Precedent

    There are a couple ways this can be achived ONE is the One Click Root method, unfortunatly it took me 10 tries and still didn't have root the other is a stock/rooted odin package that was made by another guy on another forum which i will post a link to his package it has a readme in it and if you follow the instructions you will have root within about 5 minute... (this is also nice to have if your like me and like to experiment with your phone and do a fubar move like i did yesterday.. and bricked my phone, less than 5 minutes and it was back up and running.) so anyway here is the link to the ODIN root method Enjoy

    ODIN Root Method

    and now One Click Root

    One Click Root

    The One Click Root is for the Prevail.. but also is supposed to work on Precedent. as i stated i tried 10 times and still nothing my choice for rooting the precedent is the ODIN Root Method, yes its a bigger file but works extremely well
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    Shabbypenguin's Avatar
    ROM Developer

    Posts
    343 Posts

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    thats because interdpth keeps messing with teh damn one click.. im working on a version that will be the new one
    Webchat support for the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    If I've helped you then please buy me a beer
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    well smack his hands Shabby... LoL
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Hi,
    I followed the instructions, but what keeps happening error messages say files could not be copied, but at the end it says you should be rooted, but I'm not. I've been doing this for so many days. I know you are very busy, but could you walk me through this? One question I had was the drivers that I downloaded to the laptop, how does my phone upload them? And if it did upload them, I do that before I unmount the sd card, right? The second thing is, when the phone reboots, the screen is automatically locked, so I've tried unlocking it and also not touching it, but neither worked. Please help me out.

    Thanks so much.

    Diana
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by options1 View Post
    Hi,
    I followed the instructions, but what keeps happening error messages say files could not be copied, but at the end it says you should be rooted, but I'm not. I've been doing this for so many days. I know you are very busy, but could you walk me through this? One question I had was the drivers that I downloaded to the laptop, how does my phone upload them? And if it did upload them, I do that before I unmount the sd card, right? The second thing is, when the phone reboots, the screen is automatically locked, so I've tried unlocking it and also not touching it, but neither worked. Please help me out.

    Thanks so much.

    Diana
    which method are you using, odin or one click root?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    when i do the one root and click busy box says the root is not found
    KatLetsGetIt likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by newmomjc View Post
    when i do the one root and click busy box says the root is not found

    The best way to root the precedent i have found is the odin

    or put AreaRom odin on your phone it is prerooted and frees up a TON of space.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy52760 View Post
    There are a couple ways this can be achived ONE is the One Click Root method, unfortunatly it took me 10 tries and still didn't have root the other is a stock/rooted odin package that was made by another guy on another forum which i will post a link to his package it has a readme in it and if you follow the instructions you will have root within about 5 minute... (this is also nice to have if your like me and like to experiment with your phone and do a fubar move like i did yesterday.. and bricked my phone, less than 5 minutes and it was back up and running.) so anyway here is the link to the ODIN root method Enjoy

    ODIN Root Method

    and now One Click Root

    One Click Root

    The One Click Root is for the Prevail.. but also is supposed to work on Precedent. as i stated i tried 10 times and still nothing my choice for rooting the precedent is the ODIN Root Method, yes its a bigger file but works extremely well
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Can please help me to get the Odin root method
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez4 View Post
    Can please help me to get the Odin root method

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy52760

    Click ODIN Root Method and it will take you to the Download Page for it, you will also need a good set of Precedent Drivers which can be Found here these are 32 and 64 bit dri

    CLICK HERE FOR DRIVERS DOWNLOAD

    if you need anything else you can usually find someone on the Webchat Listed in my Signature just by Clicking on it.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    First off I apologize for asking a stupid question lol I've been reading a lot about rooting, and am confused about which method to use?, and is it "really" possible to "brick" your phone by just rooting?

    Also is it possible to "un-root" your phone if need to be? or want?

    So far the 3 methods I have read about for possible rooting on my phone are:

    KMS4.0
    Prevail-Replenish
    Odin (Factory precedent root).

    I currently have the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent btw.
    Any help you could provide would be much appreciated!
    Thanx!!

    I am long time user of jailbreaking and know in that area it's hard to "brick" your ipod totally.
    Last edited by PumaSpeed; 12-15-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add info...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by PumaSpeed View Post
    First off I apologize for asking a stupid question lol I've been reading a lot about rooting, and am confused about which method to use?, and is it "really" possible to "brick" your phone by just rooting?

    Also is it possible to "un-root" your phone if need to be? or want?

    So far the 3 methods I have read about for possible rooting on my phone are:

    KMS4.0
    Prevail-Replenish
    Odin (Factory precedent root).

    I currently have the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent btw.
    Any help you could provide would be much appreciated!
    Thanx!!

    I am long time user of jailbreaking and know in that area it's hard to "brick" your ipod totally.
    to be honest the easiest and safest way to root your samsung precedent is with the odin, it has been the most successful way to root since it came out..
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy52760 View Post
    to be honest the easiest and safest way to root your samsung precedent is with the odin, it has been the most successful way to root since it came out..
    Thanx PoorBoy52760! appreciate it! So is it possible to un-root your phone is need to be?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by PumaSpeed View Post
    Thanx PoorBoy52760! appreciate it! So is it possible to un-root your phone is need to be?


    At this time NO it was tried and turned a test phone into a hard brick and no way to recover it.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    I have created a few smartphone apps and want to post them on the Android Market. I am required to take a couple screenshots. I have downloaded a few different app and then tried the The Java SE developers kit and the Android SDK developers kit without luck. My computer keeps getting errors when trying to load the kits. I have spent twice as much time trying to find a screenshot app that works on my phone than I spent creating all the apps I want to post. Most of the apps for screenshots seem to be rooted.

    Can anyone help? I just want to do screenshots on my Samsung Galaxy Precedent so I can get these apps listed on market. Thanks in advance.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by donfest View Post
    I have created a few smartphone apps and want to post them on the Android Market. I am required to take a couple screenshots. I have downloaded a few different app and then tried the The Java SE developers kit and the Android SDK developers kit without luck. My computer keeps getting errors when trying to load the kits. I have spent twice as much time trying to find a screenshot app that works on my phone than I spent creating all the apps I want to post. Most of the apps for screenshots seem to be rooted.

    Can anyone help? I just want to do screenshots on my Samsung Galaxy Precedent so I can get these apps listed on market. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Don first off let me say that yes most screenshot apps need root access,, so what i would suggest

    1. back up your apps in the .apk files to you computer,
    2. goto Android Area 51 by Clicking Here
    3. click on the forums and go check out the selection of pre rooted roms there are also links to the stock rooted odin install, they do require you sign up to download the roms that they made, but the stock odin and such is not theirs so u can download it as a guest. hope this helps you in some way if it does please hit the thanks button.
    Thanked by:
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy52760 View Post
    Hi Don first off let me say that yes most screenshot apps need root access,, so what i would suggest

    1. back up your apps in the .apk files to you computer,
    2. goto Android Area 51 by Clicking Here
    3. click on the forums and go check out the selection of pre rooted roms there are also links to the stock rooted odin install, they do require you sign up to download the roms that they made, but the stock odin and such is not theirs so u can download it as a guest. hope this helps you in some way if it does please hit the thanks button.
    Thanks for the reply. I am leaving the country on Sunday and don't want to do anything that could possibly damage my phone since I am depending on it while away. Is there a reliable unrooted screenshot app out there? At this point I have wasted several hours of my life just on this screenshot issue and am willing to even pay to get this over with and move on.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by donfest View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am leaving the country on Sunday and don't want to do anything that could possibly damage my phone since I am depending on it while away. Is there a reliable unrooted screenshot app out there? At this point I have wasted several hours of my life just on this screenshot issue and am willing to even pay to get this over with and move on.

    not that i can think of sorry.. i have been rooted since the day after i got my phone.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy52760 View Post
    not that i can think of sorry.. i have been rooted since the day after i got my phone.

    I downloaded the Samsung Driver Zip and the Factory Straight Talk precedent root zip to my PC. Haven't unzipped either and have never transferred programs from my PC to my phone. I am really new to smartphones. Can you walk me through this? I hate to bother but really need to get this screenshot stuff working.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by donfest View Post
    I downloaded the Samsung Driver Zip and the Factory Straight Talk precedent root zip to my PC. Haven't unzipped either and have never transferred programs from my PC to my phone. I am really new to smartphones. Can you walk me through this? I hate to bother but really need to get this screenshot stuff working.

    Step 1
    Unzip and install the Samsung Drivers,

    Step 2
    Back Up all the Important stuff

    Step 3
    While step 2 is happening Unzip Straight Talk Factory Root Odin

    Step 4
    Backups complete, Turn off phone put in download mode by holding Vol Down, Camera, Power till you see Downloading In Yellow

    Plug USB Cable into Phone

    Open the Odin .exe file in the straighttalkroot that you unzipped in step 3

    click the ops button and put the file in that says sch****.ops

    Click the Boot Button and click on boot.tar
    click phone and click on phone.tar
    click pda and click on pda.tar

    under the first box at top it will say comport something it will be lit up in a off yellow with some numbers in it now click start and it will do the rest the phone will reboot before the program is finished its ok once the phone is at the homescreen you can unplug it and close odin,

    now before you start setting it back up you need to turn it off and put it in recovery mode by holding Vol Up, Camera and Power, once you see the yellow screen with reboot install update from zip factory reset use the vol down to highlight factory reset and press the camera button next screen will have an arse load of no's and one silly lil Yes you need to highlight yes and press camera again, now it will come back to the main menu restart or reboot highlighted press camera and wait for phone to boot up, once it is up you can put in your gmail and setup all your apps and stuff I hope this helps.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    The .ops file contained in the download link is SCH-M828C.ops not SPHM820.ops called for in the readme instructions. The root seemed to work with the ops file in the zip folder but something is wrong. I can't install Barnacle Tether and get a variety of errors. Where can I get a copy of SPHM820.ops?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    PoorBoy52760's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    96 Posts
    ROM
    AreaRom v2.0-GingerBread

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
    The .ops file contained in the download link is SCH-M828C.ops not SPHM820.ops called for in the readme instructions. The root seemed to work with the ops file in the zip folder but something is wrong. I can't install Barnacle Tether and get a variety of errors. Where can I get a copy of SPHM820.ops?

    there is no difference between the 2 ops files, they are identical other than name, since the prevail and the precedent are pretty much identical inside, minor differences in modem,wifi, bluetooth, display drivers if the only things, if your getting errors, try going into the recovery and doing a factory wipe this will clear the entire system memory and cache and you will have a clean install, then boot up and put in your gmail info to sync and start from there
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    hey whats up? been reading this whole thread n im thinking bout doin this odin root but like the last user said he found an issue with that one file ( ops) i ko that the prevail n precedent is pretty much the same but im like wow why there gotta be some issues with it still even when u get rooted? .....issues with wifi bluetooth n display issues?.....what exactly would be missing...what i wont have wifi i wont see certain things or icons on my screen? id just like to kno what i would loose cause this low memory icon is driving me up the wall n id like to get some of my apps i took off back on my precedent, thanks for ur time n info
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    i noticed ur instructions are a lil extra towards the end of the odin root...then the one in the read me file...is there a major difference? cause in the read me file it said not to click to boot file unless ur phone is really messed up...so which directions will be best...i dont feel my precedent is that messed up if that
    Chris Allen1 likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Gaining Root on the Precedent

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy52760 View Post
    Step 1
    Unzip and install the Samsung Drivers,

    Step 2
    Back Up all the Important stuff

    Step 3
    While step 2 is happening Unzip Straight Talk Factory Root Odin

    Step 4
    Backups complete, Turn off phone put in download mode by holding Vol Down, Camera, Power till you see Downloading In Yellow

    Plug USB Cable into Phone

    Open the Odin .exe file in the straighttalkroot that you unzipped in step 3

    click the ops button and put the file in that says sch****.ops

    Click the Boot Button and click on boot.tar
    click phone and click on phone.tar
    click pda and click on pda.tar

    under the first box at top it will say comport something it will be lit up in a off yellow with some numbers in it now click start and it will do the rest the phone will reboot before the program is finished its ok once the phone is at the homescreen you can unplug it and close odin,

    now before you start setting it back up you need to turn it off and put it in recovery mode by holding Vol Up, Camera and Power, once you see the yellow screen with reboot install update from zip factory reset use the vol down to highlight factory reset and press the camera button next screen will have an arse load of no's and one silly lil Yes you need to highlight yes and press camera again, now it will come back to the main menu restart or reboot highlighted press camera and wait for phone to boot up, once it is up you can put in your gmail and setup all your apps and stuff I hope this helps.
    hey i noticed ur directions is a lil different than the one in the read me file whats the difference is this to get a clean start or did the read me file miss some steps
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions