[How-To] Easy one click root instructions

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooting your Galaxy S while on the latest firmware is pretty darn easy. It can be done using an application you install on your phone, called z4root.

This application isn't available in the market, but thats a small hurdle and easy to overcome. All you need is a file browser, and your USB cable :)

File browser -- if you don't have one, I suggest Astro. There are many others, but Astro is very simple to use and I highly recommend it to those who might be new to the Android platform. Search for "Astro file manager" in the Android Market, and install it on your phone.

Then it's a few easy steps to root:
  1. On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
  2. Attach your phone to your computer, and just like you would drag a music file or picture to your phone, copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card. You can put it in any folder you like, just remember where you put it :)
  3. Unmount your SDcard from your computer, and unplug it.
  4. Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.
  5. Now open your file manager, and find the z4root.apk on your SD card. Press it, and choose Open App Manager (Astro gives this choice), then press the install button.
  6. Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

Reactions: JassyOlivia

cole02man2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and need help adding the ad hoc connect option to my Galaxy tab. I've already installed z4root (it's complete) and I purchased Busybox from the market and installed. My issue - I have know ideal how to use Busybox to push or anything (I'm a first timer). Could someone please give me the beginner version? Thanks

furyhunter

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Now why do I get an error *no usb driver found* I've looked online and so far only found a forum thread that said to DL the android sdk and install the usb driver that comes with it. I did all that and ....no driver found installation not done: access denied.

Obie_6110

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
struggling to root an sgs i9000, froyo 2.2.1

Hi,
I got my I9000 recently with eclair on it & sent it back to vodacom (I'm in South Africa) for latest OS upgrade. I got it back with firmware ver 2.2.1, baseband version "I9000XXJPY", kernal ver 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S608 #2 and build number FROYO.XWJS3. Yes, I'm a newbie but technically inclined (and know how to read instructions :)), and followed these instructions to the letter.......unsuccessfully.

Then it's a few easy steps to root:
On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
Attach your phone to your computer, and just like you would drag a music file or picture to your phone, copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card. You can put it in any folder you like, just remember where you put it
Unmount your SDcard from your computer, and unplug it.
Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.
Now open your file manager, and find the z4root.apk on your SD card. Press it, and choose Open App Manager (Astro gives this choice), then press the install button.
Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

Z4root is placed on internal memory card, and installed. Permanent root is selected, the software goes through some process' (acquiring root shell..., etc) then the phone returns back to home page, but responding so slowly as to indicate something is working in the background. I have waited 20 minutes & no rooting (no superuser icon/status). Before the upgrade, with eclair, I successfully rooted and applied the OCLF, and was getting a quadrant performance result of about 2150. Now I'm stuck on 1140, and not able to root the phone so that Ryan's OCLF can be applied. I want the speed I had before, thats the only reason I want to root.

This 2.2.1 froyo seems to resist any attempt at rooting.

Anyone able to help me please. Thanks in advance.

Obie_6110

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have tried superoneclick (doesn't work) and I don't know enough to get SDK to work. I must be doing something wrong as SDK doesn't even see my phone. I have downloaded the samsung drivers....

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have tried superoneclick (doesn't work) and I don't know enough to get SDK to work. I must be doing something wrong as SDK doesn't even see my phone. I have downloaded the samsung drivers....

would you like to screen share and ill help you ?

Obie_6110

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm not comfortable to let someone in NJ gain access to my PC/ph.

I'll go with instructions or a talk through when it is available.

murko69

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
heyllo!....my z4root app is stuck at the "running exploit".. part...not movin any further....soo, is there any other way to do it...?

My issue as well.
Tried "temp rooting" on my Samsung (GT-i9000) Galaxy S and watched this for about half an hour.

The only thing I am really interested in is getting a fairly good working screen shot/capture -app up and running and they all seem to crave rooted phones so.....

I'll guess I'll live without the root :D

jbabyjewelzs

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem, I also tried Superoneclick and it keeps ending, this is what Superoneclick keeps telling me....
export TEMPRANDOM=10182;export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;/data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system

export PS1=""

mount: permission denied (are you root?)

END:10182

export TEMPRANDOM=19900;export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;/data/local/tmp/busybox mount

export PS1=""

rootfs on / type rootfs (ro,relatime)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)

none on /acct type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpuacct)

/dev/block/stl6 on /mnt/.lfs type j4fs (rw,relatime)

tmpfs on /mnt/asec type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000)

none on /dev/cpuctl type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpu)

/dev/block/stl9 on /system type rfs (ro,relatime,vfat,log_off,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8)

/dev/block/stl10 on /data type rfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8)

/dev/block/stl11 on /cache type rfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8)

/dev/block/stl3 on /efs type rfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8)

/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/secure/asec type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

tmpfs on /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure type tmpfs (ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000)

/dev/block/dm-0 on /mnt/asec/com.lsn.localnews14-2 type vfat (ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/dm-1 on /mnt/asec/com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore-1 type vfat (ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/dm-2 on /mnt/asec/com.netflix.mediaclient-2 type vfat (ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/dm-3 on /mnt/asec/com.ebay.redlaser-1 type vfat (ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/dm-4 on /mnt/asec/great.app.luck-1 type vfat (ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

END:19900

export TEMPRANDOM=24611;export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system

export PS1=""

mount: Operation not permitted

END:24611

R8J8D

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi , I am running Gingerbread 2.3.3 on my Samsuny Galaxy S GT-I9000.
My carrier is Orange , I did all the above and each time the root attempt fails.
Any advice ?

John

Praveen Kumar3

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
my samsung galaxy s i9000 ANYCALL .
got stuck at ANYCALL logo while updating to ICS .
and it is stuck at logo and not detecting to computer or not going into recovery mode/download mode with volume key , home and power keys .
i tried that USB JIG also , phone is not responsive .
it is stuck at that ANYCALL logo only.
Please help me in this problem.
million thanx if u reply please.
non of the above methods worked.
phone is just stuck at SAMSUNG ANYCALL logo.