Galaxy S I9000 soft bricked

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I need some help... Please!
I flashed my phone using Odin ROM JPY_JPY_JPY, and then flashed supermod-kernel-k13d-500hz... successfully!

Then I realized that there was a newer ROM: I9000XWJS5 with the XEN thing.
Since the ROM has the 3 files (MODEM, CSC, and PDA) and I read that it needed a different PIT, I flashed with the re-partition checkbox checked and with the 803 pit file.

It didn't get through. It got stuck at flashing sbl.bin
I had to unplug it after several minutes and I tried to go back to JPY. After many tries and errors, finally I could flashed back JPY ROM. At the end of the process it reboots and the system get into Android system recovery <3e>. I can read at the bottom the following signs:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid argument)
E: copy_dbdata_media: Can't mount DBDATA:
your storage not prepared yet, please use UI menu for format and reebot actions.
copy default media content failed.

If I reboot the system, it boots and I see the splash "S" moving theme, and it seems that it is booting but then it stops and it starts vibrating from time to time... then the screen goes black and nothing happens (but vibrating from time to time). It never appeared the "login screen"

Reading there and there, some advised to flash first the speedmod-kernel with the PIT 512 file and re-partitioning. I did so, and then, after boot I was able to get into Clockworkmod recovery screen.

Someone suggested to flash to JPU ROM (that way it fixed his problem) but wen I did so, it takes me at the begining (stuck at sbl.bin)...

I have read tons of forums, I have learned a lot, but I believe I need deeper advices. I have seen some threads here with very experienced people and I was hoping that someone could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I need some help... Please!
I flashed my phone using Odin ROM JPY_JPY_JPY, and then flashed supermod-kernel-k13d-500hz... successfully!

Then I realized that there was a newer ROM: I9000XWJS5 with the XEN thing.
Since the ROM has the 3 files (MODEM, CSC, and PDA) and I read that it needed a different PIT, I flashed with the re-partition checkbox checked and with the 803 pit file.

It didn't get through. It got stuck at flashing sbl.bin
I had to unplug it after several minutes and I tried to go back to JPY. After many tries and errors, finally I could flashed back JPY ROM. At the end of the process it reboots and the system get into Android system recovery <3e>. I can read at the bottom the following signs:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid argument)
E: copy_dbdata_media: Can't mount DBDATA:
your storage not prepared yet, please use UI menu for format and reebot actions.
copy default media content failed.

If I reboot the system, it boots and I see the splash "S" moving theme, and it seems that it is booting but then it stops and it starts vibrating from time to time... then the screen goes black and nothing happens (but vibrating from time to time). It never appeared the "login screen"

Reading there and there, some advised to flash first the speedmod-kernel with the PIT 512 file and re-partitioning. I did so, and then, after boot I was able to get into Clockworkmod recovery screen.

Someone suggested to flash to JPU ROM (that way it fixed his problem) but wen I did so, it takes me at the begining (stuck at sbl.bin)...

I have read tons of forums, I have learned a lot, but I believe I need deeper advices. I have seen some threads here with very experienced people and I was hoping that someone could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Which phone do you have? Do you have the i9000 Fascinate? If so have you posted that question in the forums for that phone? I'm confused.

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Which phone do you have? Do you have the i9000 Fascinate? If so have you posted that question in the forums for that phone? I'm confused.
It is not branded as Fascinate in my country. It is the I9000T (The T means that it has the 850 Mhz band for my country).

Here is a link to show my device Samsung I9000 Galaxy S - Full phone specifications
This is another link with the Galaxy S branded by my carrier: Telcel http://www.telcel.com/portal/equipo...dio,Cámara,Bluetooth&queryEq=&backPage=RESULT

When I flashed with the JPY ROM, I needed to include the Modem for the 850 Mhz band... Everything worked fine! So My phone turned from I9000T to a I9000, and it worked as a charm.

The problem began when I tried to update to JS5 ROM. Odin hung at Slb.bin

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
New information...
When I flash JPY ROM i can get access to recovery and it says "Android system recovery <3e>"

When I install the Seepmod-kernel-k13d-500hz, I get access to recovery and it says "ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.0 SpeedMod ULFK" and the menu is green.

Where to start? please... someone lead me...

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Since you have clockwork installed, try installing a custom ROM and seeing if you can get it to boot. What version of Odin are you using?

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Since you have clockwork installed, try installing a custom ROM and seeing if you can get it to boot. What version of Odin are you using?
I soft bricked it with Odin 1.3
Now I'm using Odin 1.7

What Custom ROM do you recommend? In other forum I heard of someone going back to Eclair 2.1, with ROM JM8... but I don't know if going backwards (from 2.2 to 2.1) can damage my phone (even more).
I don't want to hard brick it...

New information: When I had the branded ROM from my carrier, I installed ROM Manager and I backed up the "original ROM" and everything. After doing that, I flashed successfully with JPY ROM (Froyo 2.2.1) and speedmod-kernel. And it worked as a charm.

As I told in the original post, I tried to flash JS5_XEN and it hung in Odin.
One of the steps that I tried to get it back was to restore the original backup... it restored it successfully, but didn't work for me... I guess I need to have the original kernel or ROM (not sure)...

Can you tell me what command or log (internal) should I look for, in order to gather more information in order to know where we are and what we need to do to solve it?
Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this kind of problems?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I soft bricked it with Odin 1.3
Now I'm using Odin 1.7

What Custom ROM do you recomend?
I don't want to hard brick it...

I don't know, just use any i9000 rom. Just something you can flash through clockwork.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, just use any i9000 rom. Just something you can flash through clockwork.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
I downloaded Darky's Rom...
I tried to flash it through CWM... It hangs.

At the moment, I've tried: Stock ROMs: JPU, JPY, JS5
JPU and JS5 hang because of slb.bin
JPY flashes ok, but even it boots succesfully with the "S" theme and everything... it is unable to present the dotted screen to "swype" the "password" to gain access to the launcher.

Darky's ROM failed with CWM...
I used Heimdall to flash it, leaving slb.bin and modem.bin at the end, so it doen't hang at the beginning... It flashed successfully, but hung when slb.bin came to action.

Result: it still is softbricked.

Any other ideas?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe try flashing the sbl through Heimdall, since it seems to be that that's corrupted. Just make sure you don't unplug while doing it or anything.

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try flashing the sbl through Heimdall, since it seems to be that that's corrupted. Just make sure you don't unplug while doing it or anything.
That's what I've done. I did it through Heimdall...

I typed the command as follows:
heimdall flash --repartition --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --cache cache.rfs --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --primary-boot boot.bin --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --modem modem.bin

Note that I left sbl.bin and modem.bin at the end, because I knew it will hang. I wanted to have everything flashed but slb.bin, because with odin it stucks right there, and it doesn't continue.
However, the result is the same... My phone is softbricked.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe try to find one with a different sbl.bin? Sorry, I'd suggest one but I'm not familiar with the i9000 updates. You might have to go back pretty far in the updates. Do you remember what firmware version your phone came with?

jdelag

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try to find one with a different sbl.bin? Sorry, I'd suggest one but I'm not familiar with the i9000 updates. You might have to go back pretty far in the updates. Do you remember what firmware version your phone came with?
I remember that the phone shipped with 2.1 Update 1....
But I don't know what ROM it had...

The last 2.1 ROM was the JM8... Do you know if there is a problem going back to that ROM? Something that I need to be aware of?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I remember that the phone shipped with 2.1 Update 1....
But I don't know what ROM it had...

The last 2.1 ROM was the JM8... Do you know if there is a problem going back to that ROM? Something that I need to be aware of?

Using Odin/Heimdall, there shouldn't be a problem. I usually flash back to 2.1 instead of 2.2 anyway. Just make sure you have the appropriate .pit file, if its needed.

techker

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
im stuck......recovery mode jammed..volume up down works but side power only works for power not ok...

Samsung fascinate...what do i do with this..

Michael Shredder

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guy's I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Telcel in Mexico. I have un-installed KNOX already but when I try motochopper it does not work, say's that nothing is found when trying to change to the directories. Oh I'm running a Mac with OSX 10.9.1, is there any way to root this phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo