Should I get the Skyrocket or the original Galaxy S2?

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I felt the same way about the size. I thought it'd be too big to hold b/c I played w/ the Epic Touch. But, for some reason, it felt better in the hand than the Epic Touch.

I did observe the same things as trusktr. I put my S2 side by side to the Skyrocket and opened up maps. The Skyrocket's colors were clearly washed out in comparison (though still clearer than the Vivid). The UI did seem just a hair slower on the Skyrocket, too (swiping btwn homescreens, pinching and zooming, etc). But, maybe this is b/c it was a store model and they get manhandled all day?

I noticed no difference between the brand new phone and the store model. They were both lagging the same.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I am pleased to announce: I have returned the Skyrocket and am waiting for the OG SGS2 to arrive. There's no LTE in Sacramento yet anyways.

Also, if you're considering getting a Skyrocket, read this article from Gizmodo:
The Results Are In: AT&T's LTE Is Fast as Blazing Hell

The worst things I noticed with my skyrocket were: distorted, poppy sounding speakers. Washed out colors. Smaller maximum brightness. Wall charger made an electrical whine sound. The phone overheated to ridiculous levels while not plugged in. Web browser rendering speed is way below par.

If you really want LTE, I'd say get the HTC Vivid. Read the article above. Its also much smoother than the skyrocket in everyway.

If you don't have LTE, get the Original SGS2. Its simply amazing (minus the lack of LTE).

IMHO, the skyrocket is a dud.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am pleased to announce: I have returned the Skyrocket and am waiting for the OG SGS2 to arrive. There's no LTE in Sacramento yet anyways.

Also, if you're considering getting a Skyrocket, read this article from Gizmodo:
The Results Are In: AT&T's LTE Is Fast as Blazing Hell

The worst things I noticed with my skyrocket were: distorted, poppy sounding speakers. Washed out colors. Smaller maximum brightness. Wall charger made an electrical whine sound. The phone overheated to ridiculous levels while not plugged in. Web browser rendering speed is way below par.

If you really want LTE, I'd say get the HTC Vivid. Read the article above. Its also much smoother than the skyrocket in everyway.

If you don't have LTE, get the Original SGS2. Its simply amazing (minus the lack of LTE).

IMHO, the skyrocket is a dud.

I absolutely love my Skyrocket, have none of those issues.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love my Skyrocket, have none of those issues.

I haven't had any issues with the SR. No lag. Web and apps are fast. Easier to type on for me. I've had no lag with the stock email client as opposed to the OG. Certainly everyone will have different experiences. I implore you to give it an honest try if you have an interest in the phone. I'm loving it thus far. Get the processor name out of your mind!

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
To all the people who are enjoying their Skyrockets, is the phone delivering that "holy sh*t this phone is fast" reaction that you get from the og gsii, or is it more that "it's fast enough for me"?

I ask because I'm still using a 2010 single-core 1ghz phone, and I want to be completely overwhelmed by the performance and speed of my next phone. I want to make a big upgrade. I don't like the idea of purchasing a new phone that I will likely use for the next two years, and simply be "content" with it. I want a phone that completely leaves me in the dust. :D

If the Skyrocket does deliver this same reaction, please share your experiences. I'm leaning more towards the og gsii at this point in time unless the Skyrocket fits this description.

Dmunjal

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you do. If you're doing something network intensive, it seems snappier than my SGS2. If you play games or other computational apps then it's slower than the SGS2.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
To all the people who are enjoying their Skyrockets, is the phone delivering that "holy sh*t this phone is fast" reaction that you get from the og gsii, or is it more that "it's fast enough for me"?

I ask because I'm still using a 2010 single-core 1ghz phone, and I want to be completely overwhelmed by the performance and speed of my next phone. I want to make a big upgrade. I don't like the idea of purchasing a new phone that I will likely use for the next two years, and simply be "content" with it. I want a phone that completely leaves me in the dust. :D

If the Skyrocket does deliver this same reaction, please share your experiences. I'm leaning more towards the og gsii at this point in time unless the Skyrocket fits this description.

This is so subjective. The lte speeds blew me away! You should go see the phones youself. I have had both and living in Texas with several lte markets, the SR is really a no brainer. The exynos cannot over overcome the network speed to me. I have not seen any issues or problems with the SR, but you can only answer your question for yourself. If you are in an lte area, WOW!

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I am in a LTE city and its is holy sh*t fast. I usually download faster on the LTE than i do when i am conncected to my wifi. I have had no problems at all with the skyrocket since i turned in my GSII. Resolution just isnt as crisp but not that bad.

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is so subjective. The lte speeds blew me away! You should go see the phones youself. I have had both and living in Texas with several lte markets, the SR is really a no brainer. The exynos cannot over overcome the network speed to me. I have not seen any issues or problems with the SR, but you can only answer your question for yourself. If you are in an lte area, WOW!

okay so I'm talking about general use speeds. I want to be able to multitask several programs, and jump between them without even a chance to blink. Several of the og gsii reviews convey more or less this kind of feel, but since I haven't seen any formal reviews of the skyrocket by a big website like engadget for example, I don't know if this same trait applies to skyrocket or if it's another story. Also, some people have reported that it was fast when they bought it, but after a few hours of use they started noticing considerable lag. I want to be able to go at full-speed all the time.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah and I will honestly be surprised if we get lte at any point in 2012. If anyone has come across specifics in at&t's lte rollout plan, please feel free to share.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
okay so I'm talking about general use speeds. I want to be able to multitask several programs, and jump between them without even a chance to blink. Several of the og gsii reviews convey more or less this kind of feel, but since I haven't seen any formal reviews of the skyrocket by a big website like engadget for example, I don't know if this same trait applies to skyrocket or if it's another story. Also, some people have reported that it was fast when they bought it, but after a few hours of use they started noticing considerable lag. I want to be able to go at full-speed all the time.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah and I will honestly be surprised if we get lte at any point in 2012. If anyone has come across specifics in at&t's lte rollout plan, please feel free to share.

"Without even a chance to blink"

I think you are setting expectations that this phone, or any phone cannot meet or exceed.

The benchmarks say this phone is a bit slower in processing but the bias against this phone seems to be higher than the benchmarks would suggest. We all have a bias because we are human.

Based on your expectations and not living in lte, I do not think this phone would live up to your expectations.

You would have 30 days to evaluate. I find the phone great! I am not as concerned about processor as I am lte since I live and work in lte areas.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So, do tasks involving data using LTE mask the issues with the processor, or make them stand out more?

I have not seen any issue with the processor. I flip the screens as fast as I can and they flip. I use launcher pro and the 3D ap drawer, and I scroll the apps as fast as I can and they wiz so fast I cannot see them. I scroll and pinch and zoom the web pages and the phone responds. The LTE absolutely screams and some of the bigger apps I have downloaded on LTE, I did not even see the downloading bar, as soon as I hit accept it seems like the phone was installing the app. Yes it downloaded that fast.

We have had a few on this forum say the phones lags etc but I have not seen it. Have not seen any video of this lag etc either. One person said the captivate was better...really? Not hardly.

I do not really know why the bias against the SR. Maybe people just had to justify their choosing the SGSII by putting the SR down. If it is not faster than the SGSII in processing it is in the top 2 or 3 phones. Coupled with LTE there is no doubt that this is a superb device!

If you live in LTE now or in an area that will get it in the next 6-12 months I think it is a no brainer to get the SR. If LTE is not coming to you for a while, I would say the SGSII is probably a better choice.

Just my .02 !

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom S. and SteveISU

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen any issue with the processor. I flip the screens as fast as I can and they flip. I use launcher pro and the 3D ap drawer, and I scroll the apps as fast as I can and they wiz so fast I cannot see them. I scroll and pinch and zoom the web pages and the phone responds. The LTE absolutely screams and some of the bigger apps I have downloaded on LTE, I did not even see the downloading bar, as soon as I hit accept it seems like the phone was installing the app. Yes it downloaded that fast.

We have had a few on this forum say the phones lags etc but I have not seen it. Have not seen any video of this lag etc either. One person said the captivate was better...really? Not hardly.

I do not really know why the bias against the SR. Maybe people just had to justify their choosing the SGSII by putting the SR down. If it is not faster than the SGSII in processing it is in the top 2 or 3 phones. Coupled with LTE there is no doubt that this is a superb device!

If you live in LTE now or in an area that will get it in the next 6-12 months I think it is a no brainer to get the SR. If LTE is not coming to you for a while, I would say the SGSII is probably a better choice.

Just my .02 !

I live in an LTE market. I had a discussion with a buddy of mine and we both feel if there is a chance that AT&T will use the LTE as a way to weed out those unlimited data contracts, they will. Getting in with LTE services while they will let you be grandfathered in may be advantageous. Especially now when it's a limited roll out. Just a thought, but I don't want a phone that's a turd, hence why I'm asking.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I just returned the SGS II and bought the Skyrocket. It is a great phone and I have no regrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800