Can't decide Galaxy S2 or Skyrocket

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad i returned the OG

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII LTE

You may have already said this, but are you in an LTE area? Would you have still traded or OG SGS2 for the Skyrocket if you weren't in an LTE area?

I am eligible for upgrade on December 1st so I will have misses most of these good sales and will probably end up paying full price unless I wait until closer to Christmas. So, Walmart has the OG for $149 and the Skyrocket for $199. For $50, I would rather just go with the better device (if the Skyrocket is the better device) but LTE won't play a role because it will probably be quite a while before LTE is implemented in my state at all (Kentucky) but I will be eligible for upgrade again before we have it where I live because I live in a rural area.

So, my main question is whether you would still have traded for the Skyrocket if you wouldn't get LTE in your area for another 2 years anyway?

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Chicago so yeah I'm in an LTE area. If I wasn't with no plans of getting it, I would have kept the OG. There are minor differences between the two aside from connection.

Last edited:

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Chicago so yeah I'm in an LTE area. If I wasn't with no plans of getting it, I would have kept the Oh. There are minor differences between the two aside from connection.

OK, I was leaning towards the original, but who better to ask which is better than someone who has had both? lol.

I guess because I we are not in an LTE area but I haven't even been able to find a display model of the Skyrocket in my area even at the AT&T store. The guys at Walmart and Radio Shack said they had never even heard of the Skyrocket.

Sedn

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I just traded in the OG for the sky rocket today, the last day of my 30 days buyer remorse period. I have been looking into it for at least 3 weeks. I checked this forum numerous times daily for an aid in preparation for such an epic decimsion.

I had seen the in store demo phone, but none were setup for moblie data, so I was unsure of what I was getting into. I took the risk and bought it. I do not live in an LTE area but my download mbs went from 3 - 5 on the OG to around 5 - 7. I have not noticed much f a lag. The battery gets hot, but being the first cycle l, I'm not to suprise. The battery life, however, is abysmal at the moment in comparison to the first one. On average my OG lived between 13 - 19 on a decent amount of usage. I do use juice defender ultimate. In the past, Ive seen it live for over 24 hours. Currently, the SR has been alive for 6 hours and has 19% remaining. Regardless, I'm being patient for a more accurate judgement. I do enjoy the screen size and lte because it was something I was expecting from the jump. The size is fairly comfortable.

Sedn

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Ultimately, its a matter of preference. I've seen too many people talk down on the phone with quiet a level of passion. And I understand. I am a developer and am also quiet passionate. Had they done it right the first time it would not be so controversial. They both have advantages over the other. The OG has a better processor because it is better suited for the phone and a better battery life. The skyrocket has a larger screen, faster data, and visual voice mail which I missed from the iphone. I love this phone, and against most the hype it isn't bad. If you are buying it new I would just get the skyrocket, especially if you can get the discount. And if you have the OG good luck and Godspeed. Either way there still might be questions.

Calcedeaver33

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I live in mount Vernon, AL which is a smaill rural town near the city of Mobile. Mobile is slated at the 112th city to get LTE which wont mean much to me. I'm getting either phone Friday the 18th and need some advice on which to get. Price is no option and I have unlimited data. I like to play a lot of games and multitasking is a big plus.I liked the visual voicemail of the iPhone and wondering does either OG or SR have it. I like the best phone for the money and want to do Skype and have the best Samsung has to offer. If anyone can please offer some pros and cons and personal opinions on what they would get or do have it would be greatly appreciated.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I live in mount Vernon, AL which is a smaill rural town near the city of Mobile. Mobile is slated at the 112th city to get LTE which wont mean much to me. I'm getting either phone Friday the 18th and need some advice on which to get. Price is no option and I have unlimited data. I like to play a lot of games and multitasking is a big plus.I liked the visual voicemail of the iPhone and wondering does either OG or SR have it. I like the best phone for the money and want to do Skype and have the best Samsung has to offer. If anyone can please offer some pros and cons and personal opinions on what they would get or do have it would be greatly appreciated.

The SR has vvm, you'll have to use google voice on the OG as there is no native vvm on the phone. As far as processor goes, I had the OG and now have the Sr. I can't tell the difference as far as fluidity, both are great. There are subtle differences apart from size. Lock screen makes a different sound, the capacitive keys on the SR are brighter, and the back of the Sr is more rounded (with a lack of texture on the back) makes for a slippery bugger if you're not careful. Obviously LTE is not of concern to you so that's a moot point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463