Can't decide Galaxy S2 or Skyrocket

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Go to an Att store. They have a chart with the differences. I was surpriaed at how light it is. Lighter than my atrix 2 I believe.

gohangel

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
THing is best buy has the gs2 for $150 and att has the skyrocket for $150 here in ny hmm and i wanna decide before they up the price of the skyrocket.

Dmunjal

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I live in SF. I think if you live in the 9 LTE zones or will get it by the end of the year, go for the skyrocket. I've heard LA, SF, and NYC will get it before the end of the year.

Dmunjal

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the Exynos will perform better with benchmarks. But for me, I use the browser and go through lots of content online. I enjoy my SGS2 on Wifi more than on 3G so I expect that LTE will feel snappier even with a slower processor.

shootthis

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had the OGSGSII for 2 weeks now. I went into the At&t store today and spent an
hour doing benchmarks, web browsing, watching YouTube videos, taking photos, and
generally putting the phone through all of the tasks I would through normal daily use.
I would have to say, coming from the Captivate running serendipity, when I starting
using the OGSGSII, I had that "Holy Crap, this phone is so much faster" feeling.
After using the Skyrocket for an hour, I had mixed feelings. In some areas, it was
just fine. Putting both phones through the same tasks, side by side, I did notice
the Skyrocket was a touch slower than the OGSGSII. I would notice the lag in
scrolling through home screens, Web browsing on Wifi after the page has loaded
completely. I played the same Youtube video on both devices and the Skyrocket
was about half a second ahead of the OGSGSII. By the end of the video, the OGSGSII
was about a half second ahead of the Skyrocket. I put the cameras together and moved
them around the room quickly to see how smoothly they adjusted to the differences
in exposure and focus. The OGSGSII was just faster. That was clear. I know that
Benchmarks don't mean much to most in everyday use, but I usually get around 3275
to 3290 in quadrant. With the Skyrocket, I was getting anywhere from 1700's to
3100's. My biggest gripe with the Skyrocket was the fuzzy screen. After looking at the
OGSGSII screen for 2 weeks, the Skyrocket screen was definitely not as sharp due to
the same 480x800 resolution on the larger screen. Without a side by side comparison,
the lag would not be such a big deal, but when my captivate on Serendipity "felt" faster,
That's not a good thing. Like most people, I want my new phone to blow me away, not
just feel like the same phone with a larger screen and better camera. LTE is exciting though.
HSPA+ has been doing the job in Los Angeles at least. The back of the phone had a smooth
battery door. It was a touch thicker and a bit heavier. Nothing too bad to note as a minus though.
it ultimately comes down to personal preference and these are just my thoughts and feeling.
I am attaching some screenshots from the Skyrocket. I have two weeks to return my OGSGSII
if I wanted to. After tonight, Something else would have to come out to make that happen.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had the OGSGSII for 2 weeks now. I went into the At&t store today and spent an
hour doing benchmarks, web browsing, watching YouTube videos, taking photos, and
generally putting the phone through all of the tasks I would through normal daily use.
I would have to say, coming from the Captivate running serendipity, when I starting
using the OGSGSII, I had that "Holy Crap, this phone is so much faster" feeling.
After using the Skyrocket for an hour, I had mixed feelings. In some areas, it was
just fine. Putting both phones through the same tasks, side by side, I did notice
the Skyrocket was a touch slower than the OGSGSII. I would notice the lag in
scrolling through home screens, Web browsing on Wifi after the page has loaded
completely. I played the same Youtube video on both devices and the Skyrocket
was about half a second ahead of the OGSGSII. By the end of the video, the OGSGSII
was about a half second ahead of the Skyrocket. I put the cameras together and moved
them around the room quickly to see how smoothly they adjusted to the differences
in exposure and focus. The OGSGSII was just faster. That was clear. I know that
Benchmarks don't mean much to most in everyday use, but I usually get around 3275
to 3290 in quadrant. With the Skyrocket, I was getting anywhere from 1700's to
3100's. My biggest gripe with the Skyrocket was the fuzzy screen. After looking at the
OGSGSII screen for 2 weeks, the Skyrocket screen was definitely not as sharp due to
the same 480x800 resolution on the larger screen. Without a side by side comparison,
the lag would not be such a big deal, but when my captivate on Serendipity "felt" faster,
That's not a good thing. Like most people, I want my new phone to blow me away, not
just feel like the same phone with a larger screen and better camera. LTE is exciting though.
HSPA+ has been doing the job in Los Angeles at least. The back of the phone had a smooth
battery door. It was a touch thicker and a bit heavier. Nothing too bad to note as a minus though.
it ultimately comes down to personal preference and these are just my thoughts and feeling.
I am attaching some screenshots from the Skyrocket. I have two weeks to return my OGSGSII
if I wanted to. After tonight, Something else would have to come out to make that happen.

I have the SR and had the SGSII for 3 weeks before returning. I also have an Atrix 2 with a qHD 4.3 inch screen with 960 x 540 resolution so it has a much higher resolution than either Samsung. I switch between both often and I have no issues going from my Atrix 2 to the SR and the difference between the SGSII and the SR is minimal IMHO. Not like the Sammy's have high resolution on either...lol!

I think the SR screen looks fine!

Johnny D

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
After looking at both phones in the store... IMO.. The 2mpxl front facing camera is better to have on the skyrocket and it let's you do self video messages.... The regular S2's front camera is 1.3mpxl and only let's you takes self photos to send to others. If you do, or are going to do alot of video chat I would go with the skyrocket. Quadrant scores are good enough on both. That shouldn't be a deal breaker... Just my two cents. :)

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
After looking at both phones in the store... IMO.. The 2mpxl front facing camera is better to have on the skyrocket and it let's you do self video messages.... The regular S2's front camera is 1.3mpxl and only let's you takes self photos to send to others. If you do, or are going to do alot of video chat I would go with the skyrocket. Quadrant scores are good enough on both. That shouldn't be a deal breaker... Just my two cents. :)

The regular GS2 has a 2mp front camera not 1.3.

ezcobar411

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased the skyrocket. I was able to get an unlimited 4G LTE personal plan, so I decided to jump on it while they were still offering the deal to my company. I'll likely suspend or cancel my old line in a month or two. I just need to see if I can transfer the number from that line to this one...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

The cameras and video cameras on both phones are the same and can do the same things. However, if you are in a LTE area the video chat will be amazing! I used Tango on LTE with my Kids who were on their ipads on wifi and the connection was amazing!

Last edited:

Dawgsoverrebs

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the OGGSII for exactly 30 days and was able to just squeak by under the return period. (I also sell them both as an authorized retailer). I would say hands down go with the Skyrocket it feels like the exact same phone while using the sofware but to have LTE is just to much to pass up on. My only concern when holding the 2 together was that the OG seemed to have a hair sharper screen/colors which only makes since considering the extra size of the SR. Although bigger, the SR feels better in the hand than the OG because it has more rounded edges.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital