Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ARSkyrocket
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default *Confirmed poor wi-fi Signal Strength like other Samsung phones

This has to be a Samsung issue as it effects their entire cell phone line. My iPhone-3GS has much stronger signal strength than the skyrocket and my previous infuse. If you have a iPhone you can do the comparison for yourself and see the iPhone pick up wi-fi that the Samsung phones cannot receive.. You will also witness full signal on near by wi-fi vs less signal on the Samsung phones.. Further more, the HTC Vivid also has superior wi-fi over the Samsung phones.. Just go to any att store and you can do this comparison for yourself. It's either the antenna is weak in the Samsung phones or the wi-fi chip isn't receiving the proper amount of juice.. You can also search Samsung poor wifi and see numerous S2 post on the subject.. Sure it works and picks up wi-fi, and because of that many of of you will say they have no issues.. Well break out your iPhone or HTC Vivid and then tell me you don't see any difference.. It's been confirmed in many post that Samsung phones have poor wi-fi signal strength.. They havn't fixed it in the infuse since it came out, and same for the S2, so it looks like it is what it is.... But i encourage you to compare a iPhone or vivid to the skyrocket next time you walk into a att store and compare the signal strength on all of the found networks. You will see I'm 100% right on this. I am only posting this for information and in hope that one day a firmware release will fix it.. Hopefully many of you will call into Samsung and make a complaint as I and others have done.
    Last edited by Johnny D; 11-20-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Default Re: *Confirmed poor wi-fi like other Samsung phones

Maybe the way they display the signal is different but the reception is the same? Have owned the captivate, sgsII and skyrocket. My ability to get wifi is not significantly different from other brands including iPhone from my experience.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

this was one of the reasons sgs2 went back to ATT. At the end of my backyard iphone had wifi, samsung didn't. Also I have couple close to 0 cell reception zones. I could use iphone, but couldn't SGS2. I don't like iphone for small a screen, i cannot unlock it and lack of flash. (I know about html5, Steve Jobs message to Adobe from "another world"...). Iphone has reception almost equal to old Nokias. Samsung has to work more on it.
    Still don't know what to do: buy Skyrocket, wait Nexus or full price unlocked iphone 4s (-for what? -for ...s)

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This has been the exact opposite of my experiences with Samsung devices. The WiFi on HTC, for me, seems to perform very poorly while the new SGS2 works flawlessly....so far.
    Thanked by:
    Reggie 

Quote Originally Posted by KennithG View Post
    This has been the exact opposite of my experiences with Samsung devices. The WiFi on HTC, for me, seems to perform very poorly while the new SGS2 works flawlessly....so far.
    Agree - my Skyrocket has been great and my Captivate was also great with wifi. I hate it when someone posts something as fact. I followed the Captivate forums and it was not a issue either for others

I've had great experiences with wifi, connects way faster than my Atrix ever did.

Have you tried an application that shows the actual signal strength? Remember the iPhone cell reception debacle? Where the phone showed a few bars but calls were dropped? Then Apple miraculously realized they had been calculating signal strength wrong for years.
    I can't remember the app I use because I switched phones, but try this widget.

Wifi Signal Widget

Quote Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
    I've had great experiences with wifi, connects way faster than my Atrix ever did.
    I came from an Atrix also and I have great Experiences with wifi. When close to one of my saved hotspots I sometimes would have to toggle the WIFI of then on in order for it to connect. Not so with the Skyrocket.

So far I haven't found anything to complain about with this phome.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Nice try But! I just spent this week with iPhone and iPad users, all 8(I have names, haha), I was well into all websites and downloads 60+ seconds faster. I only have one android friend and he was impressed as well, I hope I find others who can help me make this phone dance.
    jdm-skyrocket likes this.

My SR gets the same signal strength on all 3 levels of my house that our ipad, 2 iPod touches, and everything else gets. From using wifi at various public spots, I can't say performance has been anything but good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I'm picking up wifi just fine and showing faster speeds then my old 3GS. 3GS was pulling down around 10mbps SR is pulling down 19-20mbps on same connection at the spots in my house.

Last edited by PewterL31; 12-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Default Re: *Confirmed poor wi-fi Signal Strength like other Samsung phon

I have the same poor wifi reception problem on my new Samsung Galaxy Note. This device is massive, and thus should be capable of housing a huge wifi antenna. Side by side comparison between my device and my colleague's HTC, however, shows his device indicating full signal strength whereas mine shows nearly zero and keeps on failing to connect! No doubt in my mind that Samsung needs to do more homework there!
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

My experience between the iPhone 3gs and my SR are the polar opposite. I've had zero issues with my wifi, and signal strength runs nearly the full bars consistently. The 3gs often had sporadic or slow connectivity, even when I'm home.

Google Nexus 5--rooted
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (still alive and kicking)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure

compared to the 3gs mine has the same shown signal but its really at around ankle the speed wifi and 3g

Global Posts
    10,401 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I think the wifi network had a bigger role than a iPhone or Samsung device.....my experience.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I can be 3 feet away from my router and only get 2 bars, but I can also be on the other end of my house and still have those 2 bars.

Quote Originally Posted by KennithG View Post
    My wife's and kids iPhones are slow to connect to wifi. My now bricked infuse was slow and horrible on wifi. My 3 hour old Skyrocket blows them all away on wifi. It connects fast and is very reliable so far.