Car adapter that charges while using GPS?

cajunlte

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Any recommendations on an adapter that supplies ample power while using the GPS for nav? Belkin 1AMP doesn't cut it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

hillucla

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the ATT one they sold me in the store. No idea what amperage it is however. Seems to do fine although I have yet to do a long trip using GPS to see if I notice battery drain or if the charger is able to keep up.

cajunlte

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing though. If I use the ac adapter tied to an inverter then the charger can keep up with the demand. Not really sure if Samsung is doing something different in their chargers are if there is something different pinout wise on these phones.

WickR1

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a cigarette lighter hook up on my R1, I've used both the AT&T charger and a USB adapter and they have both kept up fine while using the navigator (not the AT&T Nav). I'll have my screen at about 30% and I turn off sync and wifi, so it's not telling me every 2 seconds that there's wifi close.

mushu_pork

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a huge thread on the Nexus forum about this issue. This is one charger that seems to be highly recommended. I also included a review that explains the issue with car accessory chargers. I just ordered one for less than $4 shipped.

Update: I received the charger and it charged my phone from 86% to 100% while using GPS and Pandora in about 30 minutes. I think it works better than my wall charger.

Amazon.com: HTC T-Mobile myTouch 3G Car Charger - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

According to the USB spec, the typical wiring for standard data connection will provide 0.5amps. However, if the data pins are shorted a certain way, the USB connection can provide up to 1amp. Most, if not all smartphones, can detect this. Android phones can display one of the following when viewing the batter status:
- "Charging (USB)" = 0.5amps
- "Charging (AC)" = 1amp

When I use a standard micro-USB cable with this charger, my android phone indicates "Charging (AC)". This means that this charger appears to be wired correctly to provide up to 1amp current

Many generic chargers out there are not wired to provide 1amp (instead they are wired to the USB data spec), and will only provide 0.5amps unless you have a special cable that's wired a certain way.

Aside from the wiring, the charger itself has to be able to output 1amp. On this charger, the output specs (5v and 1amp) are clearly labeled.

All in all, a very good charger at a great price.

Last edited:

blkdrgn613

May 5, 2011
Visit site
using a duracell dual usb port car charger with a regular usb cable will give me about a 1-2% charge per 10 min while using gps and streaming music over bluetooth.

nesto1

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally my car has an AC outlet built in (Toyota Matrix)

On long trips, I just bring my regular wall charger and plug it in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital