Skyrocket - pro's & con's, thoughts, do or don't ...

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Nexus One, I just got a Skyrocket yesterday.
While having a dual core and LTE speed is indeed nice, the phone is a f****** brick in comparison to the Nexus One, so I am somewhat regretting my decision and might return it ...
It's easy to see the upsides of the phone (speed, large screen, better built quality than the N1), I also want to know what the downsides are, so I can make an informed decision.

As far as I can tell, I already see these - which I mostly pulled together based on my own experiences and what I read on this forum:

1. Throttling of LTE unlimited data plans (I never had that problem on my N1 - though I did not really use that much data (no video streaming))
2. Uncertain CM7/CM9 support - as far as I can tell there are some unofficial ports under way, but no dev from CM has joined the effort and non of the current devs have officially joined the CM team?
3. F'ing AT&T blocking websites (e.g. justin.tv (not that I ever want to go to this site but I am pissed about being blocked))
4. CIQ BS on the stock software (ok, can be fixed by using a custom ROM but still ...)
5. AT&T might watch LTE usage more closely for tethering? I frequently tethered and never had any issues with the N1 - though I did not really use that much data (no video streaming)
6. Reception issues on the stock software (I am in LA with little LTE, yet the phone ALWAYS connects to LTE and NEVER falls back to 3G giving me really sh** reception)
7. Size: it's a brick, not a phone.
8. Unlocking - my N1 was obviously unlocked and at&t never gave me any problems unlocking before, though I heard they might not unlock the Skyrocket PERIOD.
9. Uncertainty about specs (and whether it supports intl. 3G/UMTS2100); can anyone confirm that this phone gets 3G in Europe (UMTS2100)?

I am happy to have people convince me otherwise, but at the moment some of these con's outweigh the pro's (the size con even in a literal sense, hahaha)

Also let me know if you know of any other good (normal sized) phones (ideally with the same specs otherwise) that might come to AT&T (or might be available unlocked). I would probably love this phone if it had a 3.7" screen in the same form factor as the N1.

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
it sounds like you're looking for a phone <4", which I don't know of any high-end phones meeting that criteria other than the iphone. I am coming from the Dell Streak, so the Skyrocket actually feels small to me. :p

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a Nexus One, I just got a Skyrocket yesterday.
While having a dual core and LTE speed is indeed nice, the phone is a f****** brick in comparison to the Nexus One, so I am somewhat regretting my decision and might return it ...
It's easy to see the upsides of the phone (speed, large screen, better built quality than the N1), I also want to know what the downsides are, so I can make an informed decision.

As far as I can tell, I already see these - which I mostly pulled together based on my own experiences and what I read on this forum:

1. Throttling of LTE unlimited data plans (I never had that problem on my N1 - though I did not really use that much data (no video streaming))
2. Uncertain CM7/CM9 support - as far as I can tell there are some unofficial ports under way, but no dev from CM has joined the effort and non of the current devs have officially joined the CM team?
3. F'ing AT&T blocking websites (e.g. justin.tv (not that I ever want to go to this site but I am pissed about being blocked))
4. CIQ BS on the stock software (ok, can be fixed by using a custom ROM but still ...)
5. AT&T might watch LTE usage more closely for tethering? I frequently tethered and never had any issues with the N1 - though I did not really use that much data (no video streaming)
6. Reception issues on the stock software (I am in LA with little LTE, yet the phone ALWAYS connects to LTE and NEVER falls back to 3G giving me really sh** reception)
7. Size: it's a brick, not a phone.
8. Unlocking - my N1 was obviously unlocked and at&t never gave me any problems unlocking before, though I heard they might not unlock the Skyrocket PERIOD.
9. Uncertainty about specs (and whether it supports intl. 3G/UMTS2100); can anyone confirm that this phone gets 3G in Europe (UMTS2100)?

I am happy to have people convince me otherwise, but at the moment some of these con's outweigh the pro's (the size con even in a literal sense, hahaha)

Also let me know if you know of any other good (normal sized) phones (ideally with the same specs otherwise) that might come to AT&T (or might be available unlocked). I would probably love this phone if it had a 3.7" screen in the same form factor as the N1.

Wow, sounds like you should probably go back to a Nexus phone. Maybe switch to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus or wait for it to come to AT&T. And I think you're really overreacting about the size. It's not a brick. It's pretty thin, and I welcome the large screen. However I don't see it as being too big. Maybe a 5 inch screen would be too big, but not 4.5". And you're other complaints revert back to you being used to having certain customizable options that the Nexus phones offer.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
1) if you don't use that much data you won't be throttled...appears most people are being throttled at 5+ gb
2) I went to Justin.tv and it seemed to work just fine (I was using dolphin browser)
4) I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the SR doesn't have CIQ(I know, without a source its not true)

I can't really give too much regarding your other concerns.

I agree with the previous post...you might just wanna stick with the N1 for now. That was my first Android and it was great in its own right. I don't miss it at all and welcome the "brick" that is my skyrocket.

Good luck with your decision!

anon(224455)

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I was a bit concerned with the SR when I first got it.

I bought a S2, and within my return period figured i'd hop on the AT&T deal where I got a galaxy tab 8.9 for 440.00 and a FREE skyrocket.

When I used it the 1st day I was like mannnnn... it was bigger than what I was used to. After using it a little bit it was no big deal... i don't regret having it.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I had an Nexus One, and though there's some things I do miss when I used it daily (instant OS updates, no bloatware, tethering without restrictions), there are a number of things I don't miss about it:
--lousy battery life, even for a 3G phone
--too small of internal memory. Rooting it and moving some apps to the SD still isn't enough.
--slow download/upload speeds, though for a 3G phone, it was better than most.
--UI doesn't seem as polished as it should be.

After owning the Skyrocket for about a month now, I can't see myself wanting to go back. I don't find the size of the phone a brick at all. It feels thinner than the N1, and I love the screen. Battery life for me has been around a day with normal use, which I would get half that at best with the N1. Plenty of internal memory, better camera, a front camera (great for video calling when I travel), worlds faster data speeds (obviously :)) even in an HSPA+ area, better UI, and I even like the TouchWiz skin (surprisingly). I can't wait for it to get ICS. I don't tether much, so I don't find that an issue, and the bloatware I can hide away or remove it later on. Overall, I'm happy with my SR.

If you wait until the Galaxy Nexus comes over to AT&T, you might not get it with LTE, and like Verizon's version, it's not a true "vanilla Android" phone. Restrictions will still be in place (ex: NFC, for instance), so don't expect it to be as pure as the N1.

I tried Justin.tv on the stock browser and it worked.

Ditto. I don't know of ANY sites that's being blocked by AT&T.