Gadget Guard Backspin Carbon Fiber review

weaselnoze

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I've never done a review on a product before so don't expect me to get too detailed. I just thought I'd share my experience with y'all.

After trying on the Casemate Pop, Casemate Tough, Casemate Barely There, and finally a cheap TPU case, I decided I was going naked. All of the cases took too much away from the natural thinness and beauty of the skyrocket. I'm very good with my phones and normally dont even get a case, but the skyrocket always felt like it would jump out of my hand due to the thinness combined with the smooth back and rounded edges. I needed something...

I decided to try an adhesive skin like the zagg invisasheild skins. (Sidenote) Now i am no big fan of screen protectors but I especially HATE the Zagg screen protector, or anything similar for that matter. They are too damn thick and they are super soft. Dont believe me? Put a finger nail straight into the screen protector and you'll see what I mean. Not to mention how 'rubbery' they feel when trying to scroll a list on the screen. My finger often would grab the surface and skip around instead of a smooth swipe. But I digress... I thought to myself, sheeeiit, this would feel nice on the BACK of my phone and the rubberiness would add a little stability in my hand. So i found an iPhone zagg screen protector in my bag-o-tricks and slapped it on the back. Worked pretty well but i hated how it wasnt cut properly and never really looked great because of that.

So i jumped on the internets in search of an adhesive protector like the zagg screen protectors, cut specifically for the back of my SR.

Lookie what i found:

Gadget Guard CFBASA000003 Backspin Carbon Fiber Film for Samsung Skyrocket | TESSCO

So this isnt exactly the same material as the screen protectors but it adheres to the phone in the same way.

PIC!

20111221_120302.jpg

-VERY easy to put on.
-You don't have to worry about bubbles like you do a screen protector.
-Adds protection (minimal, but keeps the back from getting scratched on the table) without adding any bulk or changing the sexy design of the phone.

DISLIKES:
-Not really grippy like I had wanted. I wanted the feel of those invisashield zagg screen protectors. But hey its still better than nothing.
-the cut edge of the protector is sharp (no not sharp like you'll cut urself, just sharp that you can feel its there when you hold the phone.) See closeup below. That may wear down after some time however.

20111221_121221.jpg

Anyway, I've now found out that they have a 'brushed aluminum' protector in addition to the carbon fiber. I'm sure its the same 'plastic/vinyl' material, not aluminum.

So anyway, hope this helps the people like me, who dont want a case, but want to keep their phones looking nice.

D

Reactions: planoman

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Great job on the review! I think this is a great option for those that do not want a case. The carbon fiber looks pretty cool!

I am too paranoid. I had a Seido surface case and a ZAGG or similar since i had a curve 8300 so I feel like that is the only way my phones are protected. When I sell them I always get top dollar and get comments about how new the phones looks.

I agree the ZAGG is soft and has a slight orange peel effect but I have tried SGP and other clear film covers and they always get scratches, which bugs me. The ZAGG seems to heal the scratch over time, so it disappears.

buff23

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell us if the camera glass or lens touches the table when the phone is sitting on its back? I want something minimal, but would also like it to protect the camera lens while sitting on a table.

Also, you mention this not being grippy. Is it more grippy than the original backing at least?

Nice review.

mrfr3sh2def

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I would recommend the real look screen protector if you are worried about scratching the glass on your camera lenses. The real look protector provides a excellent clear.screen protector not only for the front of the skyrocket but also a screen protector for the phones camera lenses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo