Touchstone Inductive Charging Mod

Kalivar

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Greetings,

I wanted to see if there was interest in me posting some instruction on getting the touchstone inductive charging mod working for the skyrocket. I currently have the mod installed in my phone and working. If you are unfamiliar with this mod please see the link below. I used these basic principles and modded it to the skyrocket. I was able to use the original back and fit everything internally without cutting the phone's back piece up. Works perfectly!

Let me know if you guys are interested, and if there is enough interest, I'll post some instruction/pics/vids.

High WAF Wireless Inductive Charging Mod Step by Step Guide for Samsung Galaxy S i9000 - YouTube

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The video was awesome! What else would be needed other than the Touchstone Charging Dock, copper foil, solder, wire, etc? I've never owned a Palm so is the internal component that makes contact inside the device built-in or is it purchaseable separately as well? Basically do I need to buy a Palm Pre and dismantle it for the components?!?

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to pick up two of the kits from a seller on Amazon so hopefully they'll be here next week! This looks like a fun project even though it shouldn't take long to do!

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Would the pin that I need to solder the wire to be the same as the one in the video for the i9100? I received my Touchstone Palm Pre kits in the mail today so I'm ready to do this!

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I followed one of the other instructions on Qian Qin's website and was able to use the Micro USB as an external connection to test it out! I'm now happy that it works! Now I need a smaller, sharper tip for my soldering iron and I will go inside and solder the +5 to the USB pin! It's definitely a neat trick and I plan on cutting a small hole in the back of my SkyRocket so I can run a small wire outside of the original phone's backing since I have the inductive coil inside the case that I have on the phone instead of inside the phone itself! I tend to like cases on the phone as opposed to just having the phone! The case I'm using is an Ringke Slim that I bought from the Rearthusa website!

eban44

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^Have you tried using it with the case on before adding a wire outside the phone? Might have a chance of it working depending on how think your case it.

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the magnets aren't strong enough to go through the back cover and the ringke case to hold it in place!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

dee99ta

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Be curious to how you guys do this.I cracked open the skyrocket (which the layout is quite different from the galaxy in the video. ). The usb port has a sub board at the bottom. I did not see the USB IC that the video shows soldering to. Nothing close to that size. I tried measuring a nearby cap as it figuring it might be a small regulator circuit. I found 4.2V, but not 5V. The SR has a lot of contacts that contact the backside of the case. That may be preventing some of the board from powering up like normal. I need to get some copper tape, but I already have the palm case and a HP touchpad charging stand.

eban44

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the magnets aren't strong enough to go through the back cover and the ringke case to hold it in place!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

How about if you leave the battery cover off and attach it to the inside back of the case? Its not like you really need the battery cover on with a case on...

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Be curious to how you guys do this.I cracked open the skyrocket (which the layout is quite different from the galaxy in the video. ). The usb port has a sub board at the bottom. I did not see the USB IC that the video shows soldering to. Nothing close to that size. I tried measuring a nearby cap as it figuring it might be a small regulator circuit. I found 4.2V, but not 5V. The SR has a lot of contacts that contact the backside of the case. That may be preventing some of the board from powering up like normal. I need to get some copper tape, but I already have the palm case and a HP touchpad charging stand.

Yes, at the bottom of the i727 is the circuit board that houses the USB port. So far, my attempts for testing this process have been external. I simply spliced a USB cable and connected the wire for USB pin 1 to the + pad on the inductive charging pad. I then connected a wire to the Ground pad on the inductive charging pad and taped it to the metal slot for the microSD card. After that, you can place the backing onto the inductive charger and after a couple of seconds, your phone should indicate that it is in charging mode.

Before soldering onto the USB pin 1 line inside of the phone, I have ordered a couple of extra circuit boards to test it on. The one that came with my phone is a revision 4.5 board. The only ones I can find online are revision 4.1 and they costs about $9 USD. I received them and simply swapped it out to make sure the rev 4.1 board works in place of my 4.5 that came with the phone and all is well! Now I'm going to attempt to solder the wire internally to the resistor point that the pin 1 trace goes to before it goes through the resistor.

Reactions: shloimymos

shawnh77

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
TS, How did this work out for you? I am planning on doing the same mod on my SR this weekend. I have a bunch of extra WebOS devices and Touchstones. I am planning on mounting the coil on my Case Logic cover though in stead of the SR.

Thanks

shawnh77

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Greetings, Can you post a picture of the finished solder job? I am finally ready to make the leap and just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

Thank you

eban44

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, goodluck to anyone trying this. It was impossible for me to find someone to solder and have it hold. Theres a place right behind the usb plug, but you cant do it there bc something sits on top and there wouldn't be any room for the wire. I also found another pin on the right side next to the battery but it was impossible for me to create a solid solder point. I wish I could just do it from the battery pins, but I'm pretty sure it would never stop charging then and could over charge the battery.

If someone found somewhere else for a easy solder joint, please post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch