How to Kill Apps and keep 'em dead?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Working with my new SR has been fun...until a ton of apps keep floating in the background and I can't/don't know how to kill them permanently. I have a standard app killer, and it tends to wipe out 45-48 apps soon after startup, but within 30 minutes they are all up and running again. I KNOW I don't need all those running, so how can I go into the phone and break it down to just the basics without rooting the phone?

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You have to root your phone - otherwise we are stuck.

I have heard ICS will give us more control but ATT may disable it on the version they release for our SR.

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can without root access, your phone is programmed to start them up automatically, you have to override these programs with root, now there may be an app in the market that can do this without root, but I don't see how, this is why root is a must have, rooting is safe if done right, and you can always unroot if you need to.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
All 50 of those apps can't be bloatware...like for instance one that always runs on startup is blood and glory (game) and zappos (shopping app). How do I keep those from running at startup?

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This is true, its not just bloatware, alot of apps are built to start up automatically and there is nothing you can do to stop them completely without root, unless you uninstall the app off your phone. This is 90% of the reason why my skyrocket is rooted, I hated knowing that unused apps were running in the background eating up my CPU and battery.

cmnrs4

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
What I have done is go into "Manage Applications" and stop them within this app. Unless you power off/on your phone the apps will not re-start.

Vic Cortes

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
That is not true, they always start up again . . . . if you check later, there are always 35 plus (maybe not that much) apps up and running again (Note II). I've been wanting to ask how to keep them from starting up in the first place. After reading on this topic, it seems that rooting the phone is the only way. I don't know how to but my two sons do , , , ,

Is there really no other way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy