screen off during calls and can't turn it back on

brandontj

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from 4 years of iOS so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

My issue is: during a call the screen will turn off and I can't turn it back on without ending the call. I like my power button to end the call and I specifically enabled that feature. If I press the power button to bring the screen back on, it disconnects the call (obvious). I assume this is a disadvantage of having the power button set to end the call and there is no workaround?

Thanks for your input.

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
On my skyrocket when I'm in call and I want the screen to come on I just move the phone away from my ear for a second and the screen automatically cuts on. the skyrocket has a proximity sensor built-in for that very reason, setting>call>turn on proximity sensor. To test the sensor just make a call, hold the phone in front of you with one hand and move your hand over the ear peace with the other hand, the screen should cut off, now move your hand away and the screen should cut back on instantly.

brandontj

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You are right, I did some testing and the proximity sensor is working correctly. It's only when using the speaker phone that this happens. When the screen turned off while using the speaker phone there was no way (that I have found) to get it turned back on without disconnecting the call.

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I see, I can't seem to figure out how to get it to cut back on while in speaker phone, I have Google it and search for a fix, this is a big glitch on Samsungs part. I also like the power button to end calls, but I haven't ran into this problem because I'm rooted, and I flashed a custom rom that allows the volume keys to also wake the display. So unless anyone else knows of an easy way to get around this, looks like rooting your phone and finding a rom that supports the volume to wake the phone is the only fix I know of.

brandontj

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, hopefully this won't be an issue when ICS is released.

Last noob android question, I promise. I have read that rooting voids your warranty. Is this true? If so, why? How does it differ from jail-breaking an iphone as I could reflash my iPhone back to stock OS and take it in for warranty with no issues. I assume something is modified during the rooting process that can't be reverted thus Samsung would know about it and void the warranty?

Again, thanks for your input.

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes rooting voids your warranty, BUT rooting is the same as jailbreaking basically , you can always unroot the phone before taking it in for warranty. Now if you flash a custom rom, they will know, but that's a whole nother can of worm's. And ask all the noob questions you have, we were all android noobs at one time or another:D

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira