using as mobile hotspot. question...

anon(678374)

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone used their skyrocket as a hotspot for their galaxy tab? Does it work and are there performance issues, meaning is it faster browsing using the tablet's own built in 4g rather then the mobile phone as a hotspot?

I just purchased the tablet with a two year data contract and still have time to get out. Currently, I pay AT&T for home internet and cell service with unlimited data and now data for this tablet has been added on. 90% of the time I use my tablet at home so I just connect to my wifi to save on data. In fact I have had the tablet for Three Weeks and still have 2.7GB of data left so I think its a waste for me to pay $35 a month for data I will hardly use. After I purchased the tablet I heard that people use their phone as a mobile hotspot and use that to allow their tablet wifi. However I tried to do this on my phone and keep getting an error message. Upon further reading it appears I need to root my phone. I have no problem doing that but before I tell att to cancel the data plan I want to make sure that connecting in this way is just as fast as if I connect through the tablet 4g. Also is there anything I should be aware of or any negatives? Thanks for the help!!!:)

Altarocks

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I occassionally use mine with my Playbook. It works well, but the battery suck is amazing to see. Can't help you with speed comparisons, though, since the PB is WiFi only.

I think the problem you may be having connecting is due to your unlimited plan. To get mobile hotspot, AT&T requires people to move to their tethering plan. In order to do that you have to give up your unlimited plan. This may or may not matter to some people. Moving will put you in a plan with 5GB, which to me is a ton - I seldom use even 1 GB. But at the same time, adding hotspot will no doubt increase your data usage over your current rate.

That's one of the things I miss about having a BB - the bridge feature between PB and BB gives BB owners a free data connection, and you don't have to touch any settings. Just pick up the tablet and start surfing. Not as fast as hotspot, but definitely cheap and easy. And you can still use hotspot if you need more speed.

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
You might try an app that I found this past weekend called FoxFi. I had my concerns about it (search for FoxFi post), but those concerns seem to have been settled. (please let me know anything contrary to this!) Look it up in Android store. Basically free Hotspot service. Works on the Skyrocket.

anon(678374)

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I occassionally use mine with my Playbook. It works well, but the battery suck is amazing to see. Can't help you with speed comparisons, though, since the PB is WiFi only.

I think the problem you may be having connecting is due to your unlimited plan. To get mobile hotspot, AT&T requires people to move to their tethering plan. In order to do that you have to give up your unlimited plan. This may or may not matter to some people. Moving will put you in a plan with 5GB, which to me is a ton - I seldom use even 1 GB. But at the same time, adding hotspot will no doubt increase your data usage over your current rate.

That's one of the things I miss about having a BB - the bridge feature between PB and BB gives BB owners a free data connection, and you don't have to touch any settings. Just pick up the tablet and start surfing. Not as fast as hotspot, but definitely cheap and easy. And you can still use hotspot if you need more speed.

You are so right!

anon(678374)

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
You might try an app that I found this past weekend called FoxFi. I had my concerns about it (search for FoxFi post), but those concerns seem to have been settled. (please let me know anything contrary to this!) Look it up in Android store. Basically free Hotspot service. Works on the Skyrocket.

Works perfectly and is fast! you are a lifesaver!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund