Urgent assistance - need skyrocket repairs

terefel

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So I crushed my phone in the car door. It made me sick to my stomach. Need it to be functional ASAP for work.... The lcd screen is shot and the rim that holds it is bent. The rest of the body appears fine.

This isn't exactly like the iPhone where there are dozens of places I can bring it to be fixed. Does anyone have any ideas how I would go about getting the new lcd screen installed on my poor sammy?

Thank you very much in advance folks...

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
the phone might be completely fried. You could of easier damaged the board inside. Sadly ivwoukd say you might as well get a complete new device.

Alan Morford

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully you bought the insurance. If so, it should only be about $100 to cover the deductible to get it fixed. Usually the turn around time is a few days. Definitely head to the nearest ATnT store.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you bought the insurance. If so, it should only be about $100 to cover the deductible to get it fixed. Usually the turn around time is a few days. Definitely head to the nearest ATnT store.

The Skyrocket is either $125 or $199 for the insurance deductible.

terefel

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone... Inside of the phone is fine. Calls come in, calls go out, email works, etc. I've been able to use the half of the screen that still works so the insides are still good. No insurance so AT&T store is not an option. Found a couple local phone repair places who will have to order the lcd screen and glass and it will run me around 250. Ouch, but better than having to pay whatever the unsubsidized price is for a new one.

Lesson from today - even otterbox can't stop the wrath of a car door.

terefel

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
argh. I got out of the car and hadn't realized that the phone had slid down between the seat and the door. When I opened the door it slipped the rest of the way and landed face up on the bottom sill. When I tossed the car door closed, the phone got crushed between the seat track and the door. The screen kind of fold up, crumpling like an old VW bug.

The rest of the liquid bled out overnight, hopefully one of these local shops can get the parts in soon - will have to get a loaner blackberry from work until then. Bummer.

terefel

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Update: bought a replacement screen off ebay, despite some kind of major supply shortage - took me 2 weeks to find a vendor with it in stock. Now it is fixed up as good as new. Total cost of repair = $198.00

I did the replacement myself, but it was dicey and I was half surprised when I turned it on and it worked. For anyone thinking of doing it, just know that dis-assembly and reassembly are easy, but getting the old glass out is a huge pain in the ass. (Tip: hairdryer and suction cup are must haves)

terefel

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The casing wasn't broken, just the glass was. The casing IS slightly bent, but the screen fit right in and it's hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon