Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to SII

Just bought a used Galaxy SII Skyrocket (3 weeks old). Should be here Monday. Can't wait!

Default Re: New to SII

Welcome to the SkyRocket owners club! You are going to love this thing!!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by skyrocketeer View Post
    Welcome to the SkyRocket owners club! You are going to love this thing!!!
    Thanks. Just hope I can get a full day out of the battery and I will be happy.

Good luck with that
    It's unlikely
    definitely not if you are in an LTE area

Though otherwise the phone is awesome
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Hiddensecret2010 View Post
    Good luck with that
    It's unlikely
    definitely not if you are in an LTE area

Though otherwise the phone is awesome
    Not in an LTE area. How about 8 hours?

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Unless you are watching videos all the time or streaming music, I get a full day easily out of my battery.
    Even when I was in Vegas with LTE and I was streaming the march madness games for a little and searching espn and other sites a lot I would still get a good 12 hours out of my battery.

This is also with using the Nexus extended battery that is 2100 vs the 1850.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by eban44 View Post
    Unless you are watching videos all the time or streaming music, I get a full day easily out of my battery.
    Even when I was in Vegas with LTE and I was streaming the march madness games for a little and searching espn and other sites a lot I would still get a good 12 hours out of my battery.

This is also with using the Nexus extended battery that is 2100 vs the 1850.
    Thanks! Good news.

I get a full day and more with light use...with heavy use I still make it through a day with a little to spare, but we haven't gotten lte here in Cleveland yet. Get yourself a spare battery and calibrate the batteries, and you will be fine.

Global Posts
    2,552 Global Posts

I'm in the same boat as OP. Just picked up one on eBay (came with two spare batteries and a charging dock). Can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm a long time Palm and webOS user and just decided to make the jump to Android.

Hello VirtualToby, I am an old palm guy too. I still carry an old Palm Treo around in my car as it has some stuff on it I never got around to transferring and I lost my sync cable! I know you are going to love this phone! It sounds like you are loaded for bear on the battery side, so you can let it rip! Have fun. Yes TgeekB I'm sure you will get through a day with the battery, but part of the process with all these high-end/high-capability Android Phones is how to squeeze more life out of the batteries. The good news to me as I came here from an iphone 4s, was I can swap out batteries easily.

VTobby.. You got a Skyrocket on Ebay? I'm assuming it was unlocked too, yes? If not, am curious what kind of deal and the condition too.

I'm patiently waiting to see if ATT releases the GS2 HD this month before pulling the trigger on the SR. Was considering the Note but lately, I'm feeling that it's just not a good fit and that with few exceptions, there are no apps designed specifically for it since it's not just a smart phone.

Global Posts
    2,552 Global Posts

I did a fair bit of research. I am sure I'm going to like it. It's a little sad for me on one hand since I really wanted webOS to succeed, but that's life. I'm more sad that my original user name from the visorcentral/treocentral/webosnation site wasn't available. lol
    virtualToby
    Phone - Samsung Galaxy S3
    Tablet - Asus eeePad Transformer Prime with keyboard dock

Global Posts
    2,552 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    VTobby.. You got a Skyrocket on Ebay? I'm assuming it was unlocked too, yes? If not, am curious what kind of deal and the condition too.
    You can just call me Toby. I had the option of getting it unlocked, but since I'm on AT&T anyway, I left it for the sake of getting it shipped faster. Condition was listed as like new with no visible wear, and it included 2 extra OEM batteries, a 16GB microSD, the OEM cradle charger, and a 'black protective case'. I got it for 404 shipped. Will know in a few days.
    I'm patiently waiting to see if ATT releases the GS2 HD this month before pulling the trigger on the SR. Was considering the Note but lately, I'm feeling that it's just not a good fit and that with few exceptions, there are no apps designed specifically for it since it's not just a smart phone.
    I looked into the SR HD and even the GS3, but decided to get the SR without a contract and then decide later in the year what I want to do. My main criteria was a good device that could run ICS.
    virtualToby
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Same with me Toby. My contract is up the beginning of next year so this gives me a nice phone to carry me through until then. Got mine on ebay also. Should be here in a couple of days then I'm sure I will be consumed with customizing it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Anyone know if the spare batteries on Amazon are any good?

Talking Re: New to SII

Quote Originally Posted by skyrocketeer View Post
    I get a full day and more with light use...with heavy use I still make it through a day with a little to spare, but we haven't gotten lte here in Cleveland yet. Get yourself a spare battery and calibrate the batteries, and you will be fine.
    Another thing that might be a good thing to pick up is an app called Juice Defender. I love it. Shuts down all your radios (unless you tell it not to in the profile) Comes in three flavors Free, Plus, and Ultimate. I just have the free version and it made my phone go from having to charge my phone around 3 to having about 40% left when I leave work.

Google Play Link
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Got mine yesterday! Very nice phone. Did make it through a full day of work (about 10.5 hours) and was at 59% when I got home. Tweaking it to my liking now.

Global Posts
    2,552 Global Posts

Received mine Friday. Had to get the AT&T store involved to get it active (tech support thought the SIM from my old phone was bad, but the store guy said that shouldn't have been the issue). Have it mostly set up with the same apps (or similar) to my Pre3. Migrated my Palm Profile contacts to my Google account finally. Still need to decide how I'm going to handle some of my memos (whether I'm going to make Google Docs with them or EverNote or whatever). The only 'complaint' I have about it is pretty much one of the same things I like about it: the screen size. Haven't had any battery issues really, but I have two spares available at any point.

Tweaking to be done: Find some kind of profile manager like sconix's Mode Switcher to handle my clock and email settings for night time.
    virtualToby
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Well, after about a week, I can honestly say that I made the right decision getting this bad boy and leaving my BlackBerry for now. It is really growing on me. I love the slimness and large screen. Battery life isn't bad. Using wifi at home has me well below my data limit. A lot of the things I was worried about have been non issues. Just waiting on my case, extended battery, and charger.