Shiny new SkyRocket unboxing today!

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I bit the bullet and decided my refurb SkyRocket had a few too many issues as I approached the 30 day return deadline. I bellied up to the bar and gave it back to AT&T and got me a new shiny 1 year warranty unit with the up charge. I have to say...at least during the 30 day period, AT&T has been really decent to deal with...I took my refurb back to a corporate store which is about a mile from my house, even though I bought the refurb online, and they took care of me, no problem. Very good service for the most part. got to play with the new Nokia Lumia900 they were pushing me to get instead...lol...not a chance though...nice phone, but it is no where near as nice as the SkyRocket in my eyes or hands at least. Windows felt clunky compared to android imho. Phone came with 2.3.5 android...should I update? What does 2.3.6 give me? Looking forward to benching this shiny new battery by the way...impressions on the way!

:D

dwain77

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
All I've noticed in the update is a tweaked lock screen and some new icons. Reports of efficiency changes, but nothing I could prove.

On the other hand I lost my scrolling wallpaper. I've also had (2-3) times where a call get stuck in the dialing screen but never actually connects. This may or may not be due to the update, but I didn't see it in the short time I had the phone before the update.

Personally I'd have kept my scrolling wallpapers over the changes I've seen in the update. I'm sure there are other opinions though.

**EDIT**
While googling about the scrolling walls it was brought to my attention that maybe half of the live wallpapers are gone too. I don't use them often so I don't remember what all was available, but I now only have 4 stock live walls.

Last edited:

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey man, thanks for the feedback...ya so far really stable on the 2.3.5, and so I might just stick with it until the ICS push. I still have some tweeking to do at this point, but that's what the weekend is for. So far the battery seems a little better than my other one, so I am wondering if they slap a new battery in the refurbs, or do they give them a new one? This unit is one day old and has not been calibrated yet, but I may not mess with it as it seems to be doing better than the refurb, and it was no slouch.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Man...so far so good...I asked the guy at the AT&T store about the ICS update and he laid it all on Samsung...hope we get it soon, and it is worth all the fuss.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Skyrocketeer.. Hope the new phone works out. As you know, I've been investigating the SR, Note and today went to check out the Lumia 900 and HTC Titan. I agree with you about the Lumia and the Titan on display wouldn't even boot up which for a new phone, doesn't get it. Fortunately, one of the reps had one in his pocket so I got to play around with it. I think the Windows OS is sort of simpleton in look and feel, though comparing it to iOS is like comparing a Toyota to a Porsche.

I have to be honest in saying that right now, I see too many issues with Samsung phones and feel the build quality just isn't there. The Note while very cool has some issues of which some may be shared by the SR (gamma clipping) and is quite noticeable on a large screen. I also experience some serious lag on the Note, too.

So right now, I'm in a holding pattern and simply am not impressed enough by the SR, Note or Nokia phones. I WILL say that the HTC Titan screen is very nice, though I don't see myself going to a Windows OS.. The size of the screen seems about perfect (4.7") too and razor sharp.

Reactions: skyrocketeer

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thus far my Skyrocket is still going strong. I was very close to getting the Note, but, something tells me that in time the size would simply get on my nerves...

Now, I did just research the HTC One X, and I might have to play with it when it is released. Albeit, I'm not a hugh fan of sense. Hmm, decisions, decisions...

PS: Congratulations, Skyrocketeer...

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you JT and naviwilliams...I'm locked in now for 2 long years...I can enjoy watching you guys make the next phone decision though! Yes indeed many a good phone out there these days. JT I figure if you have waited this long maybe you should just wait for iPhone 5 and stick with the ios...it seems to have served you well. No doubt the iPhone 5 will be a quality unit. I'll tell ya naviwilliams, the HTC One X has one flaw I don't like and that is non-removable battery which to me in a big android phone is a fatal flaw. If I was you I might just set my sites on the Samsung Galaxy s III, which I hear may be out in the next couple months...that should be a quad core knockout.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've just watched about three video reviews, the HTC One X, HTC One S, and the HTC Vivid. I'll be sticking with the Skyrocket for a moment...

I hope the Samsung Galaxy S III is as good as everyone is saying that it will be...

I'm now messing with the AllShare feature (I all three of my TVs are Samsung, and my dual monitors are Samsung,too).

I might even remove my Otterbox case this weekend, just to appreciate my White Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket more ;)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
SkyRocketeer - Congrats on getting the SR!!! I was holding off for the HD version but I think I'm gonna pass and go with the original SR as there is a ton of support for it. I can't wait to get it so I can root it and load up a custom rom. Coming from an Iphone 4s I really look forward to LTE and the fact that there is a work around AT&T's data throttling.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Ya man lot's of great choices. i wish the biggies would drop the 2 year thing down to 1...maybe charge a little more and gimme a yearly upgrade...2 years is too long in this environment. Yes sir naviwilliams...there is nothing better than slipping that sleek phone out of it's case...such a better feel when it is caseless...the phone feels so well balanced and sleek...really fun to do. I love the Samsung TV's too...the new ES smart tv's are just unbelievable... gesture control...face recognition...voice recognition...awesome.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank You Matt! I am real happy with mine, and my last phone was a iPhone 4s also...I haven't regretted the change one bit. Couldn't go back I don't think.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank You Matt! I am real happy with mine, and my last phone was a iPhone 4s also...I haven't regretted the change one bit. Couldn't go back I don't think.

My biggest gripe with the SR is the low resolution. But I think that can be overcome with the amazing SAMOLED Plus screen. How is the screen? Some complained of visible lines?

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a single issue with the screen, and I sure spend a ton of time looking at it...I thought the 4s screen was sweet...but just too damn small...the SR has a big roomy screen...you won't miss the iScreen. Side by side the SR is a lot more vivid and saturated. The 4s looks slightly washed out in comparison.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a single issue with the screen, and I sure spend a ton of time looking at it...I thought the 4s screen was sweet...but just too damn small...the SR has a big roomy screen...you won't miss the iScreen. Side by side the SR is a lot more vivid and saturated. The 4s looks slightly washed out in comparison.

Cool. Guess its those who are really picky who noticed it. You gonna root? If you are flash the rom Silence Rom. Its based entirely on Stock and the developer is going to add the option to turn off LTE. Its a very, very stable rom and people report NO lag, whereas as on Stock there is a noticeable lag.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1584662

He even includes the APN settings for a work around on the throttling. Assuming you have the unlimited plan.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey man, thanks for the feedback...ya so far really stable on the 2.3.5, and so I might just stick with it until the ICS push. I still have some tweeking to do at this point, but that's what the weekend is for. So far the battery seems a little better than my other one, so I am wondering if they slap a new battery in the refurbs, or do they give them a new one? This unit is one day old and has not been calibrated yet, but I may not mess with it as it seems to be doing better than the refurb, and it was no slouch.

If just wait if I were you. The improvements are more cosmetic imo. Good to know the new SR runs better then the refurb did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
If it lives up to all that I might...I don't have the unlimited, just the 3gb plan...I think it might be worth it to turn off the LTE which is a battery eater.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If it lives up to all that I might...I don't have the unlimited, just the 3gb plan...I think it might be worth it to turn off the LTE which is a battery eater.

Ugh, I'd go right through that with LTE. Did you join AT&T for the SR? I find them to be very good, of course thats in my area, but for the most part I've been very happy with AT&T. My only complaint is sometimes I can feel the network congestion (hence me really wanting an LTE device) and speeds are like 2-3Mbps when at an off peak hour I can pull 6-7mbps.

We are very lucky we have HSPA+ to fall back on and even UMTS compared to Verizon's EVDO which is terrible. Anyway, I'd definitely root and flash a custom rom. From my experience the Rom Developers really take care of their roms and update them quite often and they are far superior to the stock rom. You just have to read up on it, which I'm currently doing.

I was able to root and flash custom roms with my original GSII so I know I can do it on here.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Man i have to say I love AT&T network. great coverage and decent speeds. I have not had one instance of not being able to make a call since I got AT&T, and speeds will improve when we get the LTE here which is rumored to be happening this month. Sprint was what I had before, and I liked Sprint, but the coverage was just awful here in C town, but the unlimited data was the reason I was with them...but it was not worth it...speeds were like living back in 2004.