McBlaster666

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Just updated!
Android version 2.3.6
Baseband version I727UCLA3
Kernel version 2.6.35.11
Build number Gingerbread.UCLA3

The only difference I've seen so far is the unlock screen has a new lock icon that's dragged into unlock on the lock screen. And the answer and ignore icons when a call comes in.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I noticed they removed scrolling wallpapers in this update. Why?!!

Now when I select a wallpaper I can only select a tiny horizontal piece from the image instead of the whole wallpaper like before the update. Then after I save when I scroll across home screens the image stays in the middle. Ugh.

That is so dumb I thought that was a common feature across android OS?

JayTeeJr

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed their SR freezing when unlocking? I swipe the screen and more times than not it takes 10-20 seconds before I can get a response. I didn't have this issue at all prior to the update.

On a side note, I originally thought it might be an issue with ADW so I uninstalled it. That didn't help the freezing issue because it also happened using Go Launcher and running stock.

Any thoughts?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So what exactly is the benefit of the update then? It seems it's creating more problems than anything.. Does the update install automatically or can you block it?

I'm about to get a SR but as a newbie, I sure don't want to install any updates like this one, LOL.

Am really going to need some tutorials on using Andriod too, so if anyone knows a good place to learn, please direct me :) Thanks.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The update has to be done manually so you can just not download it. I don't really see any problems with the update. The only bummer is the removal of scrolling wallpapers.

dwain77

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...
The scrolling wallpaper is gone.
Just download QuickPic from Play Store.

Are you saying QuickPic will give you scrolling walls?

I downloaded it, but still don't get scrolling wallpaper. When I select '2 screens' it gives a crop box that looks like it might allow scrolling, but still not working.

dwain77

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying QuickPic will give you scrolling walls?

I downloaded it, but still don't get scrolling wallpaper. When I select '2 screens' it gives a crop box that looks like it might allow scrolling, but still not working.

After further research it seems people use QuickPic, along with another launcher to set scrolling walls. I had Go launcher and scrolling wallpapers did work, but I never really got into the launcher.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The new lock screen and non scrolling wallpaper really piss me off. I feel like i am using a much cheaper phone now. There is also a new phone icon that isnt clean. I am beyond annoyed

TacMaster

May 11, 2012
Visit site
_Zguy__,

I am right there with you. If they do not fix the scrolling wallpaper issue on the next update, I am getting an i-phone. I am really unhappy with my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow.. TacMaster that's a pretty strong statement though you're obviously very unhappy too. It seems just about everyone isn't too thrilled about the update and I guess you can't roll back to the previous version either? This is making me hesitate pulling the trigger for an SR, regardless of the price.. Not good.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Wow I think some of you are overreacting! These aren't THAT big of issues. Sure the only real big noticeable change is the removal of scrolling wallpapers. Don't get me wrong I really don't like it but I'm adjusting. I can now pick out a custom section of a large wallpaper to see on my 1 screen. Does it suck? Sure. But can I live with it? Yes. Does it really affect the whole overall experience of the phone? No.

The only other visual change is the Phone icon. Instead of the solid green behind the white phone it's a checkered effect. Big whoop, I don't mind that.

The overall performance and the UI of Gingerbread hasn't been changed so I have no complaints other than the wallpaper change. I'm happy keeping this phone for the full 2 years unless something physically happens to it. By the next time I'm ready to upgrade we'll probably see the Galaxy S 4.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Psideburns.. LOVE your avatar by the way.. Makes me dizzy just looking at it, LOL..

Wise guy eh? Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith