Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Purchasing from Amazon or other online phone retailers

Has anyone here that was an existing AT&T customer purchased their SR from Amazon and if so, did you encounter any problems with the device or grandfathering over your existing plan?

I ask since I just returned from a local independent reseller who claimed that Amazon and other online sellers (as well as AT&T corporate stores) do NOT monitor the 'freshness' of their hardware inventory and often have inventory that may be as much as 6 months old, or older! He claims that this is how Amazon can offer the phone for $80 while they charge almost double. Any thoughts here?

He also said they offer a third party insurance plan that covers everything (including replacement with an $80 deductible) that costs $100 for TWO YEARS. Obviously they help you set up the phone and optimize it etc. Anyone familiar with this insurance and if so, how I might be able to get it if I purchase a phone from Amazon?

He was a MAJOR proponent of the Skyrocket and advised buying it over any other device including the HTC One X!

Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Purchasing from Amazon or other online phone retailers

P.S. The sales guy also said that the ATT customer service people do NOT know how to properly transfer an existing plan to a new phone and that you may get the wrong SIM card from Amazon too..

Please chime in with your Amazon/ATT experiences. Thanks.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Not amazon, but Costco. Got in on the black friday deal there for $50 and it had me select a new data plan when I bought it online. When I got it in the mail it didnt come with a new sim card, I called att they were able to change my grandfathered unlimited plan back and told me to just go into my local corporate store, which I did. I then received a new 4g sim card from them with no hassle, was up and running fine.

Honestly cell phone salesmen are the same as used car sales men, they all have their quotas to met and make the majority of their money on new contract sales. They also get spifs for getting rid of certain phones. Not saying he is lying about loving the SR, since I have loved it and still there hasn't been a new ATT phone that I would rather have then it.

As for warranty I kept my ATT one for the $6/month. I know its basically a rip off but I'm not to worried since I like the ease of use. You could also probably get a nice deal on a Squaretrade warranty, which is most likely what the independent ATT stores use.

The only thing that needs changing its your data plan and it's an automated process for AT&T customer service and COR locations. You'll need an LTE data plan, still unlimited. Sales people are sales people... They'll say almost anything to make a sale.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

Also probably trying to move SR's to make room for SGSIII's!

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks folks..

I found out that Global Warranty Group is the insurance provider they use. They offer a 2 year program against theft, damage or defects for phones worth up to $1K with a $75 deductible. I want to find out if I can get it independently if I buy a phone from Amazon or elsewhere.

As to Amazon selling 'older' merchandise, this wouldn't surprise me, though if they ARE selling returned phones or those that were manufactured over 6 mos ago, I would think the returns they get would be on the rise, which is not what profits are about, LOL.

I prefer not having to pay the hefty sales taxes on the non-contract price. It's nice the independent guy helps optimize and set the phone up, but I think most everyone here can help with that too. There's going to be a learning curve going from iOS to Android, but it will probably be fun, too!

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    Has anyone here that was an existing AT&T customer purchased their SR from Amazon and if so, did you encounter any problems with the device or grandfathering over your existing plan?

I ask since I just returned from a local independent reseller who claimed that Amazon and other online sellers (as well as AT&T corporate stores) do NOT monitor the 'freshness' of their hardware inventory and often have inventory that may be as much as 6 months old, or older! He claims that this is how Amazon can offer the phone for $80 while they charge almost double. Any thoughts here?

He also said they offer a third party insurance plan that covers everything (including replacement with an $80 deductible) that costs $100 for TWO YEARS. Obviously they help you set up the phone and optimize it etc. Anyone familiar with this insurance and if so, how I might be able to get it if I purchase a phone from Amazon?

He was a MAJOR proponent of the Skyrocket and advised buying it over any other device including the HTC One X!

Thanks.
    It looks like my evil plan to turn all salespeople into hopeless shills for my beloved SkyRocket is having the desired effect. muhahahaha! You are next Jontalk! Buy a SkyRocket and be happy for well...2 years I hope.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ixnay on the 'muhahahahaha' Skyrocketeer.. That's only for Dr. Evil

Yes, I believe I will get one very soon and from Amazon, regardless of what Mr. Sales Guy says locally.

And then I'll be hounding you all for pointers on how to set the damn thing up without flopping all over the place.. Fortunately, I comprehend technology fairly well, and once I get a sense of the pattern and logic in Android and how it functions, I suspect all will be fine.

One question: If you install a launcher, does it do away with most of the Touch Wiz UI? And is there someway to remove or disable all the bloatware?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I love it when I'm right .. Muahahahaha...!

Amazon just dropped the price again to $69.99 so now it's just a question of when will it hit $49.99 or even one cent? I suspect the closer we get to the June tour of the SG3, the faster the price will drop.. Ain't it great for those of us that are hold outs?

I love it when I'm right .. Muahahahaha...!

Amazon just dropped the price again to $69.99 so now it's just a question of when will it hit $49.99 or even one cent? I suspect the closer we get to the June tour of the SG3, the faster the price will drop.. Ain't it great for those of us that are hold outs?
    Oh I'm getting jealous! A Rocket In Your Pocket for that cheap!!! ? And what is this JT???thought you were going to jump on the HTC X one? Can't live with the sealed battery? Or no microSD? I can't live without those two features myself...but I thought you were leaning that way. Soon you may be singing this song...

no a launcher does not get rid of touchwiz it just puts a overlay on the surface of the device. meaning the screens (lock screen, home screens, and app-draws), it changes how they look. but things like the notification bar and other things don't change (though if set up right you can change them especially if rooted roms are full change) but if you just don't like the look or customize ability of touchwiz then launchers will work.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I was all set to purchase my SR from Amazon when their price was $139 and everyone else was $199 and up. I called ATT AND THEY called local ATT stores in my area until one would match the price. This way I got the phone I wanted at the lowest available price with face to face training and all my questions answered. Additionally as Amazon drops their price I get an automatic refund from ATT (for 30 days). I waited two extra days for the price over ride and authorization to take place but for me it was worth it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Guess what folks.. the price just dropped AGAIN to $59.99 though I doubt the ATT store will match that price. And for us CA residents, there's NO sales tax when you buy through Amazon which means another $50+ savings. However, I'm stunned that ATT would price match Amazon.. never heard of that before

Skyrocketeer.. Yes, I was leaning towards the One X though I've been monitoring the One X forum and as expected, the number of issues continue to grow. Nothing is going to be perfect and the SG3 isn't coming until Oct. As the SR price drops it becomes more attractive for sure Muahahahahaha...

Last night, I was with a couple potential clients trying to close a deal. Couldn't get it across to them how the equipment rack I was proposing for their new multi-buck Home-Theater was going to look and was wishing I had included some pics in the proposal. Called my partner, and had him email me a particular job we had done that was similar to what we were proposing. The pics showed up, I opened them up and they looked magnificent on the shiny big butted SkyRocket. I mean I had my laptop with me, but no need to use it...the SkyRocket made the Pics look so nice on its awesome screen...well, why do you think I am the SkyRocketeer?...that's right sparky...this phone is the SH_T...and the wonderful lady loved the look. This is still in my opinion one of the great pieces of gear on the market...and it's a bargain too. muhahahahaha
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Great story SReteer.. Now we all know how you pay your ATT bills, which is very cool. What I find most interesting is that in 24 hours, Amazon dropped the price over 10% so logic would dictate (and with the GS3 coming), that it will drop further.. Since it's at $59.99 now, it can easily go to $49.99 or even lower. What I wonder is how much the GS3 will be if/when we see it at ATT and if the bigger screen, higher pixel density and software features are worth it.

I have to say the GS3 does look very sexy to me, but I think I could live with the current SR, too, especially considering the huge savings Muaaahahahaaaa..

Great story SReteer.. Now we all know how you pay your ATT bills, which is very cool. What I find most interesting is that in 24 hours, Amazon dropped the price over 10% so logic would dictate (and with the GS3 coming), that it will drop further.. Since it's at $59.99 now, it can easily go to $49.99 or even lower. What I wonder is how much the GS3 will be if/when we see it at ATT and if the bigger screen, higher pixel density and software features are worth it.

I have to say the GS3 does look very sexy to me, but I think I could live with the current SR, too, especially considering the huge savings Muaaahahahaaaa..
    Man I think you will be happy with the SR, yes yes I would love to have the Sammy biggy 3, but wait until almost christmas?...by the way fellas...asked my skyrocket about the ole woodchuck, and how much wood he would chuck if he could chuck wood...same answer as sammy biggy 3...hmmm...try it if you don't believe me...same answer..I mean rocket knows woodchucks...just sayin...
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Perhaps, but now I'm reading the threads about the recent update and most of the people in that discussion are VERY unhappy with the results of it. One guy said that if they don't do a fix he's going to dump the SR and get an iPhone.. The others feel that it did more damage than good.. Anyone here feel that way?

Yes, well I am on 2.3.5 still and haven't done the latest update as I feel if it ain't broke...well let someone else do AT&T's beta testing for them...I don't get why these guys can't get this software working correctly...ics? omg...scares me to think of all the zorked phones out there...