Will you upgrade to the GS3?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Am curious as to whether all you hard core Skyrocket fans will bite the bullet and upgrade to the GS3 when it releases next month. And while the Amazon deal on the SR is VERY attractive at $40, the fact remains that the new GS3 is head and shoulders more advanced than the Skyrocket both in hardware and software.. Would you guys agree?

And now that Amazon has also dropped the price on the One X, this also becomes an attractive possibility though there seem to be a fair number of bugs with the phone, and that many of the One X owners aren't too thrilled with what HTC did with the multi-tasking operation..

A penny for your thoughts :)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I personally will stick with my SGS II. I bought it off contract and it suits my needs fine. Contract is up next March. If they start making more Nexus devices as rumored I may go that route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I am married to the SkyRocket for around 2 more years unless I get a windfall somehow and can afford to somehow buy the SG3 and still fulfill my contract on the SkyRocket. That said, I don't feel bad about it at all as I love the SkyRocket. It does everything I need a phone to do, including all kinds of multimedia entertainment use and heavy app use at work. It also is a great phone just as a phone, and quality of calls are the best I have ever experienced. I don't feel like I am missing much, and feel lucky to have picked one of the nicest phones out there today. As I look forward to my far off upgrade, I am sure by that time, there will be other phones that make my SkyRocket feel old and lame...but none of this current crop do.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Most likely I will upgrade. (after reading and watching lots of reviews and seeing it in person of course) i will buy the device right off the ATT website even thought I'm locked with a two year plan. most likely it'll be around $450 as it usually happens with new devices, I prefer doing that as soon as the GS3 will become available at ATT so that my skyrocket will sell for the decent price. the two main reasons why i want this phone: 1) the skyrocket will become outdated within the next few months and SG3 is the latest tech with supposedly improved battery life, lots of new feautures and whatnot. 2) will have to sell my skyrocket quickly otherwise it'll drop in price. (it ranges from $350 to $400 on amazon right now depending on a cond.)
Edit:
Another important reason probably is that with the skyrocket we'll get the ICS update hell knows when and waiting for two years to finally get the latest tech is not my thing. (In two years from now there's gonna be the GS5 already if not the google glasses lol)

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Android4Life.. love your Avatar! Too funny. And you're waiting for one of the Nexus phones Google is developing with a bunch of manufacturers? Interesting.

Trevalkin.. I presume you're saying a Skyrocket will bring $300 if its unlocked or? And yes, it will drop quickly I would think. Am willing to bet that once it's released Amazon will have new Skyrocket's down at $20 or even one cent like they did with the HTC Vivid a long time ago.

So far this it appears there is no consensus as yet. Will be curious to see what others chime in with :cool:

spddy

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally wont upgrade to the s III. As slow as sammy is i will wait my contract up and go with a different android.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Everyone just got their skyrockets in December so it wouldn't make sense to upgrade already. Plus it wouldn't be possible would it? Only way would be to pay the full price of $600 or whatever it is.

I'm just going to stick with this for the duration of my AT&T contract and by that time the Galaxy S4 will be out LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Considering buying the Galaxy Nexus off of Google Play and selling the Skyrocket I bought in December. Touchwiz isn't really doing it for me, and the SIII doesn't really appeal to me. I would rather have the HTC One X over the SIII. My next phone will either be the current Nexus or the next one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Superman4060

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
yeah i think im going to hold off with the skyrocket. this fragmentation thing and the fact that we still dont have ICS is really bugging me out. also i hate to say it but i really want to see what apple will bring to the table. i know as far as tech and specifications android will always be superior but well see what they do as far as ios. if i do switch though its probably going to be a nexus phone. also google is coming out with its own set of phones so that may be prett amazing.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Trevalkin.. I presume you're saying a Skyrocket will bring $300 if its unlocked or? And yes, it will drop quickly I would think. Am willing to bet that once it's released Amazon will have new Skyrocket's down at $20 or even one cent like they did with the HTC Vivid a long time ago.

So far this it appears there is no consensus as yet. Will be curious to see what others chime in with :cool:
Well from my past experience it doesn't actually matter whether it is unlocked or not. Just has to be in perfect shape with all original accessories and the box. If the GS3 will be lets say $450 and I'll sell the skyrocket for $300 minus the amazon or ebay fee I will still get the GS3 for about $200 or so, which is the same amount i initially paid for my skyrocket when i did the early "exception" upgrade in november. At the end of the day i still don't pay the full price for the phone or any of my electronic devices i buy. I've done this for years. $200 for a brand new hot gadget isn't bad at all vs $450...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
yeah i think im going to hold off with the skyrocket. this fragmentation thing and the fact that we still dont have ICS is really bugging me out. also i hate to say it but i really want to see what apple will bring to the table. i know as far as tech and specifications android will always be superior but well see what they do as far as ios. if i do switch though its probably going to be a nexus phone. also google is coming out with its own set of phones so that may be prett amazing.
I am very interested to see how the iphone 5 will look like. But... I am not even considering it as the iOS system has one major problem: it takes forever to jb it and without jb no tethering and no other great things that i get on my android devices. Besides, i already have the ipad 3 which i love and with my skyrocket my set it complete lol :)
I was actually tempted to get the nexus phone but i must admit i am a fan of Touchwiz so the GS3 is the most appealing choice to me right now

Last edited:

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Well from my past experience it doesn't actually matter whether it is unlocked or not. Just has to be in perfect shape with all original accessories and the box. If the GS3 will be lets say $450 and I'll sell the skyrocket for $300 minus the amazon or ebay fee I will still get the GS3 for about $200 or so, which is the same amount i initially paid for my skyrocket when i did the early "exception" upgrade in november. At the end of the day i still don't pay the full price for the phone or any of my electronic devices i buy. I've done this for years. $200 for a brand new hot gadget isn't bad at all vs $450...

Hmmm...well for $200 or so I might go for it...would be interested if this is really doable...why would anyone pay that much for a Skyocket when you can get one on Amazon for $50? I might change my mind if I can do it for 200 bones....

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...well for $200 or so I might go for it...would be interested if this is really doable...why would anyone pay that much for a Skyocket when you can get one on Amazon for $50? I might change my mind if I can do it for 200 bones....

for $50 you get it with the new TWO year contract :) but not everyone who wants a skyrocket has an available upgrade option. I sold my 3 blackberry phones in the past, last bb bold 9700 i sold for $160 if i'm not mistaken, then i bought a Motorola Atrix for $200 i believe which i used for 1 year until i was offered another early upgrade so i sold it for $220 and got the skyrocket for $200.... btw i did the same with my ipad 2 the smartphones are no different than any other used electronics that you sell to buy something new.

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
the thing is, the GS3 may actually sell for $500 or even $550 without the contract as a new hot, hyped up device. so it really depends how much I'll be able to net for my used skyrocket... the GS3 may turn out to be very expensive so i guess will have to wait and see... because I won't be able to get any early upgrades anytime soon i just did one in november haha lol but I really want this phone...

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I like the GS3, but not enough to take a loss to get it. SR does nearly everything I want it to except all day LTE battery life and a high res screen.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting feedback so far. It appears that only a few are so taken by the GS3 that they'd bite the bullet and spend the extra $$. I'm in the envious position of having an available upgrade so I want to make the best decision.

I feel the GS3 might be a great new phone since the screen is bigger and HD, very advanced software, ICS, larger battery, amazing camera and of course, S Voice. If ATT releases it at $199 (along with Amazon), it would make sense to spend the extra $160 to get it.

PLUS, I saw this on my Roku last night: Hottest Tech Products (May 2012) (video) - CNET News They named the GS3 the #1 tech device on the market as of now!

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
get the damn phone man...Maxy needs a Sammy biggy 3 to keep up his image...California Chicks will notice...I want to live vicariously through a real Sammy Biggy 3 owner...super-size it JT....ok damn I am wanting this 4.8" screen...I admit it size matters...anyone want to buy a SkyRocket...?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463