Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will you upgrade to the GS3?

Am curious as to whether all you hard core Skyrocket fans will bite the bullet and upgrade to the GS3 when it releases next month. And while the Amazon deal on the SR is VERY attractive at $40, the fact remains that the new GS3 is head and shoulders more advanced than the Skyrocket both in hardware and software.. Would you guys agree?

And now that Amazon has also dropped the price on the One X, this also becomes an attractive possibility though there seem to be a fair number of bugs with the phone, and that many of the One X owners aren't too thrilled with what HTC did with the multi-tasking operation..

A penny for your thoughts

I personally will stick with my SGS II. I bought it off contract and it suits my needs fine. Contract is up next March. If they start making more Nexus devices as rumored I may go that route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Will you upgrade to the GS3?

I am married to the SkyRocket for around 2 more years unless I get a windfall somehow and can afford to somehow buy the SG3 and still fulfill my contract on the SkyRocket. That said, I don't feel bad about it at all as I love the SkyRocket. It does everything I need a phone to do, including all kinds of multimedia entertainment use and heavy app use at work. It also is a great phone just as a phone, and quality of calls are the best I have ever experienced. I don't feel like I am missing much, and feel lucky to have picked one of the nicest phones out there today. As I look forward to my far off upgrade, I am sure by that time, there will be other phones that make my SkyRocket feel old and lame...but none of this current crop do.
    TvTechGuru likes this.

Most likely I will upgrade. (after reading and watching lots of reviews and seeing it in person of course) i will buy the device right off the ATT website even thought I'm locked with a two year plan. most likely it'll be around $450 as it usually happens with new devices, I prefer doing that as soon as the GS3 will become available at ATT so that my skyrocket will sell for the decent price. the two main reasons why i want this phone: 1) the skyrocket will become outdated within the next few months and SG3 is the latest tech with supposedly improved battery life, lots of new feautures and whatnot. 2) will have to sell my skyrocket quickly otherwise it'll drop in price. (it ranges from $350 to $400 on amazon right now depending on a cond.)
    Edit:
    Another important reason probably is that with the skyrocket we'll get the ICS update hell knows when and waiting for two years to finally get the latest tech is not my thing. (In two years from now there's gonna be the GS5 already if not the google glasses lol)

No, I am waiting on a Nexus phone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Android4Life.. love your Avatar! Too funny. And you're waiting for one of the Nexus phones Google is developing with a bunch of manufacturers? Interesting.

Trevalkin.. I presume you're saying a Skyrocket will bring $300 if its unlocked or? And yes, it will drop quickly I would think. Am willing to bet that once it's released Amazon will have new Skyrocket's down at $20 or even one cent like they did with the HTC Vivid a long time ago.

So far this it appears there is no consensus as yet. Will be curious to see what others chime in with

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I personally wont upgrade to the s III. As slow as sammy is i will wait my contract up and go with a different android.

Everyone just got their skyrockets in December so it wouldn't make sense to upgrade already. Plus it wouldn't be possible would it? Only way would be to pay the full price of $600 or whatever it is.

I'm just going to stick with this for the duration of my AT&T contract and by that time the Galaxy S4 will be out LOL.

Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

ROM
    Stock

Considering buying the Galaxy Nexus off of Google Play and selling the Skyrocket I bought in December. Touchwiz isn't really doing it for me, and the SIII doesn't really appeal to me. I would rather have the HTC One X over the SIII. My next phone will either be the current Nexus or the next one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Android4life2 View Post
    No, I am waiting on a Nexus phone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    If they up the camera specs, I'll go nexus. What I'm really sick of is the 6 month life of the phones.

I also think the SIII may be a touch on the to big side. I havent seen size specs yet.

yeah i think im going to hold off with the skyrocket. this fragmentation thing and the fact that we still dont have ICS is really bugging me out. also i hate to say it but i really want to see what apple will bring to the table. i know as far as tech and specifications android will always be superior but well see what they do as far as ios. if i do switch though its probably going to be a nexus phone. also google is coming out with its own set of phones so that may be prett amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    Trevalkin.. I presume you're saying a Skyrocket will bring $300 if its unlocked or? And yes, it will drop quickly I would think. Am willing to bet that once it's released Amazon will have new Skyrocket's down at $20 or even one cent like they did with the HTC Vivid a long time ago.

So far this it appears there is no consensus as yet. Will be curious to see what others chime in with
    Well from my past experience it doesn't actually matter whether it is unlocked or not. Just has to be in perfect shape with all original accessories and the box. If the GS3 will be lets say $450 and I'll sell the skyrocket for $300 minus the amazon or ebay fee I will still get the GS3 for about $200 or so, which is the same amount i initially paid for my skyrocket when i did the early "exception" upgrade in november. At the end of the day i still don't pay the full price for the phone or any of my electronic devices i buy. I've done this for years. $200 for a brand new hot gadget isn't bad at all vs $450...

Quote Originally Posted by Superman4060 View Post
    yeah i think im going to hold off with the skyrocket. this fragmentation thing and the fact that we still dont have ICS is really bugging me out. also i hate to say it but i really want to see what apple will bring to the table. i know as far as tech and specifications android will always be superior but well see what they do as far as ios. if i do switch though its probably going to be a nexus phone. also google is coming out with its own set of phones so that may be prett amazing.
    I am very interested to see how the iphone 5 will look like. But... I am not even considering it as the iOS system has one major problem: it takes forever to jb it and without jb no tethering and no other great things that i get on my android devices. Besides, i already have the ipad 3 which i love and with my skyrocket my set it complete lol
    I was actually tempted to get the nexus phone but i must admit i am a fan of Touchwiz so the GS3 is the most appealing choice to me right now

Quote Originally Posted by Trevalkin View Post
    Well from my past experience it doesn't actually matter whether it is unlocked or not. Just has to be in perfect shape with all original accessories and the box. If the GS3 will be lets say $450 and I'll sell the skyrocket for $300 minus the amazon or ebay fee I will still get the GS3 for about $200 or so, which is the same amount i initially paid for my skyrocket when i did the early "exception" upgrade in november. At the end of the day i still don't pay the full price for the phone or any of my electronic devices i buy. I've done this for years. $200 for a brand new hot gadget isn't bad at all vs $450...
    Hmmm...well for $200 or so I might go for it...would be interested if this is really doable...why would anyone pay that much for a Skyocket when you can get one on Amazon for $50? I might change my mind if I can do it for 200 bones....

Quote Originally Posted by skyrocketeer View Post
    Hmmm...well for $200 or so I might go for it...would be interested if this is really doable...why would anyone pay that much for a Skyocket when you can get one on Amazon for $50? I might change my mind if I can do it for 200 bones....
    for $50 you get it with the new TWO year contract but not everyone who wants a skyrocket has an available upgrade option. I sold my 3 blackberry phones in the past, last bb bold 9700 i sold for $160 if i'm not mistaken, then i bought a Motorola Atrix for $200 i believe which i used for 1 year until i was offered another early upgrade so i sold it for $220 and got the skyrocket for $200.... btw i did the same with my ipad 2 the smartphones are no different than any other used electronics that you sell to buy something new.

the thing is, the GS3 may actually sell for $500 or even $550 without the contract as a new hot, hyped up device. so it really depends how much I'll be able to net for my used skyrocket... the GS3 may turn out to be very expensive so i guess will have to wait and see... because I won't be able to get any early upgrades anytime soon i just did one in november haha lol but I really want this phone...

I want one dammit...but I am still loving the SkyRocket...but that Sammy Biggy 3...wow it is the SH_T.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

I like the GS3, but not enough to take a loss to get it. SR does nearly everything I want it to except all day LTE battery life and a high res screen.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Interesting feedback so far. It appears that only a few are so taken by the GS3 that they'd bite the bullet and spend the extra $$. I'm in the envious position of having an available upgrade so I want to make the best decision.

I feel the GS3 might be a great new phone since the screen is bigger and HD, very advanced software, ICS, larger battery, amazing camera and of course, S Voice. If ATT releases it at $199 (along with Amazon), it would make sense to spend the extra $160 to get it.

PLUS, I saw this on my Roku last night: Hottest Tech Products (May 2012) (video) - CNET News They named the GS3 the #1 tech device on the market as of now!

get the damn phone man...Maxy needs a Sammy biggy 3 to keep up his image...California Chicks will notice...I want to live vicariously through a real Sammy Biggy 3 owner...super-size it JT....ok damn I am wanting this 4.8" screen...I admit it size matters...anyone want to buy a SkyRocket...?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

SRteer.. You got it bro'.. Just waitin' to play with it once it hits ATT stores, which am hoping is SOON!

For those that have a G Note, is this called "Screenis Envy"? LOL

when i first got my Motorola Atrix phone after being tired of using outdated blackberries for 3 years, I was very happy and honestly thought i'd stick to it for two years because at that time it was a very hot hyped up gadget. However the technology is moving at a very fast pace and when the Skyrocket came out with LTE chip and much bigger screen I immediately switched. now with the Skyrocket i get a lot more productive at things I usually do on my smartphones (and i do use my smartphone and my ipad about 90% of the time) the Galaxy S3 is a step forward in current line of galaxy phones, not a huge one though but definitely a notable improvement. I can already see myself utilizing its new features not available on my current device. With that being said, I really enjoy using my skyrocket and it is an excellent phone for me at this time and like I said earlier i will buy the GS3 but not because it's a new hyped up gadget to show off but because of the upgraded functionality, and ease i can have with it.

I feel pretty much the same way, in spite of my exuberance at times about the Galaxy 3 and it's 4.8" screen, I am really happy with my SkyRocket...and can see myself using it for a couple years very happily. I like the sound of a slightly larger screen, but I may find it to be too big when I actually get hold of one. The thing about the SkyRocket is that it has such a great feel, and the size is almost ideal in my mind.

Global Posts
    775 Global Posts

Yes. I love my skyrocket buti want to enjoy an HD screen, larger battery and I love the camera improvements.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Yep.. Now that the G Note has been out for a while and it sits prominently next to the Skyrocket at ATT stores, it's easy to see the difference in the screens.

Since I'm not what you might call a 'power user' yet, I just don't see the need for the Note. However, I suspect the lack of using the many functions of a smart phone are due to having an antiquated brick in my pocket, or what is commonly called the iPhone 3G. Faster than a speeding corpse! LOL

Where the SR is concerned, it still is a contender for sure, though I'd be a fool not to wait and play with the GS3 once it's in the stores. Of course, am sure we'd ALL like to see Sammy release ICS for the Skyrocket which would level the playing field in some respects
    Thanked by:
    20blks 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast