WTF did I do? My phone is going nuts.
09-20-2012 07:14 PM
- No idea what is going on with my SGH_I727 right now. This is my first Andorid phone so I am sorry but I haven't learned a lot about roms and kernels and what not. I was a BB user for forever.
My fiance said last night my phone was acting odd so he did a battery pull and it was back to normal again. He said it was just a black screen with the Android, no words or anything.
Today I went all day with no issues, and then tonight I went to grab it, and it was off. Power button brought it back on but it gave me this screen, in the attachment its the one on the right I never saw the one on the left. I tried in vain to Google wtf was up (not even knowing what to search), and opted to do a battery pull. It just went back to the Odin screen. twice more no avail. Once more and the phone turned on, but complained of a low battery (though it was plugged in). My computer will no longer recognize it as a USB drive but this time it IS charging it.
Now what? Should I just flash the original stock rom (and can you recommend a good tutorial if so?) I did backups (including Titanium backup?).
Could this be from liquid damage? I got a little soup on the bottom of my phone a few days ago. It was minimal but I pulled it and put it in some rice for a few hours anyway. had no problems until yesterday evening.
I hate not knowing my phone! I could fix any issue on my BB. Still learning.05-29-2012 10:09 PM
- it does sound like something is up with the USB port. It sounds like you are not running an ATT rom (just from your talk of talking flashing a stock rom). Did you do a nandroid backup from before installing the custom rom? if so, you _might_ be able to restore using that but it will not restore the radio, if you changed it. So it may or may not work. Also if your USB is having problems and you did get it wet, ATT may still not fix it (unless you bought the extra insurance).05-29-2012 11:13 PM
- That's download mode that you're getting. No idea why it would do that automatically without you specifically turning it on.
Are you by chance using CWM? If so, perhaps you can do a restore from a backup if you have one?
Or perhaps do a factory reset from the stock recovery?
I'm kinda throwing darts here. You may indeed have a blown USB port.05-30-2012 02:40 AM
- No I never flashed any ROMS, period. Stock or otherwise. I rooted it a couple months back and life got so busy I never got the time to do some research and pick one out.
The phone is now working fine, but my computer won't recognize the USB drive. I've read up on that issue some but I am yet unsure of what the actual problem is since I am having multiple and seemingly unrelated symptoms?
I didn't get the phone on an upgrade I bought it full price so there is no AT&T warranty anyway...
It just doesn't make sense why it will charge and not recognize the drive, what causes this?05-30-2012 07:27 AM
- Yes I've tried a few different cords, and two PCs. Same thing. It will charge but I cannot connect to a PC.
I've tried installing a couple different drivers, no go. Today it flipped and shut down then turned on in Odins download mode again. After like 20 minutes it finally turned back on after being plugged in.
is there a way to wipe and flash without connecting to a PC?
I am totally lost here.
Oh and I don't think it's water damage, the sensor is still white?05-30-2012 07:08 PM
- Where did you get this phone from? EBay? Was it a long time ago? Can you contact the seller and tell him/her that the phone has been tempered with and about USB too and ask to send it back to him for refund? Because technically you could send it to Samsung for repair but if it has a custom rom then the warranty is void and your only choice would be to contact the original seller. If the water damage indicator is white then there is obviously no water damage so you don't have to worry about that part...05-30-2012 08:43 PM
- 05-30-2012 09:06 PM
- Okay so I have installed/uninstalled a couple different drivers, a tmobile one and the samsung official one. I've tried two computers and 4 usb cables. No avail.
ONE time it said usb drivers installed, right after I reinstalled the Samsung official ones. So I shut down the phone so I could go into Odin download to try to get cwm on my phone. That was about 2 hours ago and I cannot get it to connect to the PC anymore.
Is there no way to get CWM onto Rom Manager ota? It's the only other thing I can think of to do. I thought maybe if I did a wipe and flashed a rom that might make the usb drivers work?
It's not a huge deal if I can't connect to my PC, but the fact that it keeps wigging out randomly and shutting off makes me nervous. I'd really like to get cwm on there, if only because I can't think of what else to do.05-31-2012 12:19 PM
i tried the link you provided and it just says sorry your rom does not support this feature =S05-31-2012 12:53 PM
- 05-31-2012 12:56 PM
- ClockworkMod Recovery - XDA-Developers
you can Find the cwm recovery in zip format and put it on microsd card from your pc...
i think method 1A would be preferable for you... also, for the broken usb you may try a third party repair shop idk how much that will cost thought05-31-2012 01:02 PM
- this phone should have a manufacturer's warranty, so technically you should be able to get it fixed (or replaced ) by samsung. when I was experimenting with my phone i accidentially chose "phone" instead of "pda" in odin program and that completely bricked my phone beyond repair. it wouldnt even turn on... so i called ATT and said, idk what happed but my phone just died on me. and they shipped me an exchange with no problems... I think that if you could brick your phone somehow so that it wont start and then send it to samsung they'd probably do the same thing.. I'd give samsung a call first.. and check if they have the IMEI number for your device in their database and ask about warranty... I know that sounds crazy but at least it worked for me.. with ATT warranty.. perhaps you can call ATT and see if you can get their warranty for your phone then wait a bit maybe like one - two weeks, and then send it to them for a refurbd exchange..05-31-2012 01:26 PM
My wife's Galaxy S2 was behaving exactly as you describe. It turned out to be a dirty USB port on the phone. I used a dry toothbrush to clean the port. I also cleaned the cable end as well. Now the phone charges and works normally. I hope you got your's fixed. Cheers!09-20-2012 07:14 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
WTF did I do? My phone is going nuts.
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD