Can a skyrocket be perma-bricked?

sburggsx

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Looking at a skyrocket on CL which is claimed to be bricked. Is there any situation that would cause one to be un-recoverable?

I'm assuming if you can boot to the bootloader that everything should be ok. Is that a decent assumption?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Why would you buy one on CL when you can get a new one for $40 (you have to have an upgrade available though).

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Maybe if you flash another phone's rom, that could do it...

Or maybe throwing it in a washing machine?

sburggsx

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Mostly because I don't want to use an upgrade for it. I have two children's "no data" lines and this would be a way for them to get a wifi-only smartphone instead of buying (another) ipod or whatever.

Second reason? Because I want to play with an S2 before deciding I want to move away from the apple world. Then i could use the upgrade for an S3. ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Any phone can be perma bricked if the right condition presents itself. I came from the Samsung Epic 4g which was a tough device... Odin always got me out of any trouble that I had but for some Odin caused perma bricks. There has also been situations where a kernel has bricked a phone and even heard of a few ROM issues where everything seemed right and the phone just never was able to come out of sleep.

So yes I believe any phone can be bricked if given the right situation.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I did brick my skyrocket by mistakingly choosing "Phone" instead of "PDA" in Odin application. when the Rom finished loading the phone rebooted and shut itself down and I wasn't able to turn it on anymore. Even when I tried to bring it to life with the USB jig it didn't work either. So yes, the phone can be "permanently" bricked, at least to the point where you wouldn't be able to fix it without special tools. There is a guy though who can fix these kind of bricks (he's got a video on youtube) and he sells kits also if you want to fix it yourself but its very expensive (around $200 I think) and requires opening up the phone and soldering skills.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20