Weird Shut-off problem

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wierd Shut-off problem

I'm also having this problem...not sure what is causing it, but I'd venture to guess that its the power button although it happens even when I'm not touching the phonehttps://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...403/487921_10152140953705288_1177427973_n.jpg. See screenshot.

The phone is rooted, its a T-Mobile Hercules and this started happening just recently.

Sticky power button lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

dysfunctionall

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

Well I contacted Samsung and they had me try all sorts of things that I have already tried. They told me I would have to send it in for repair. They paid for 2 day shipping. I'm not sure what they replaced but they replaced something and sent it back and now it works great. It was covered under warranty.

rhearty1

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

have you checked to see if your power button is sticking it is known to happen with the skyrocket

I had this problem a few months ago. Lasted about 2 weeks. I solved it by working in the power button by pressing it over and over again to make sure it wasn't getting snagged on anything. Ever since I did that, has not restarted once. I think the problem is the power button sticking like gargoyle says.

scordo17

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Hi all-

Looks like this is a common problem. It's gotten a lot worse for me in the past few weeks, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm a couple months out of warranty, and I'm up for a new phone in a few weeks. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get this working without paying a ton? And if not, and I get a HTC One in a few weeks, what should I do with this phone if it's still having the power button problem and I'd like to try and sell it?

Last edited:

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Ok so obviously not a random issue. I will have had my phone 1 year next month.....maybe it was closer to July 1st, whatever. I NEVER!!! turn my phone off. Last night at midnight I went to check messages and it was off. It took at least 3 minutes to get it to come back on, and it appears ok now. When I had my captivate, it did this all the time(although ONLY at night) and I put the CAPTIVATE STAY ALIVE program on the phone and it never happened again. I suppose there isn't a program for this phone, isn't the skyrocket like the captivate II? I am on AT & T. I am just wondering if I should warranty the phone before the year is out, but I have so much crap on it, and my screen protector was like 20$, of course if the phone dies I am screwed anyway. I really like my phone too, hopefully this was just a fluke!:cool:

Ricky De Lacruz

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

This is a racket. this is the second time in less than 2 years of having this phone I have ran into this problem. Not to mention Samsung only offers a 1 year warranty on the phone. The insurance wants 150 for a phone and you might get a refurbished one. Samsung you might want to do everyone a favor and put a 3 year manufac. warranty on these phones. We pay upwards of $600 for these phones and they are crap. I end up paying almost $800 for this phone I haven't even had 2 years. Maybe You guys should do more research on the longevity of the phone and not how fast you can sucker the next Joe looking for a phone.

Symfora

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

I have had my Skyrocket for almost a year and a half with no problems until yesterday...It started doing this weird thing like so many have described above where it shuts down and vibrates every 2 seconds. Looks like my phone is getting taken apart tonight. Really hope this fixes my problem.

Symfora

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Well, I took it apart used some alcohol on the power button directly on the board. Made sure the alcohol got in under the button. Had to do it twice because the first time I dont think I used enough but after the second time I put it back together and it has worked the last 24 hours with zero problems.

3starndSun

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Hope this will help you.

A loose battery is the issue. 1st take the battery out, then jammed a piece of paper between the battery & the phone....

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

NOPE! contacted At & T, they were so..............nice, they figured out that I had NEVER updated(me bad) connected me to samsung who gave me step by step instruction.....it took 2 hours....I mean seriously I had never done the Kies thing.....like having a BRAND NEW PHONE...wow.....no more problems, issues, nada....perfect in every way!

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

I had NEVER updated, ever!! I think I had version 2.3 and it was up to 4.5? It took almost 3 hours, they gave me specific directions to follow. That was a few months ago and NO problems, the updated version solved ALL my problems, and the phone shutting off wasn't the ONLY issue, it had a few others. After the update, it's like having a new phone. Good luck

Rocky Mojica

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

My phone is doing the same thing. I tried pressing the power button multiple times to make sure it wasn't stuck. Doesn't feel sticky at all. I don't think mine is a power button issue though cuz the phone stops booting up at the ATT logo screen. I was thinking I can try the Kies thing but if it isn't booting up then will Kies even detect it? Strange how it just got progressively worse cuz it started out doing the same thing as everyone else has mentioned until today it just stopped rebooting.

josiahg52

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't even complete any update because the phone would boot in the middle of the update. At one point I thought it was bricked but I had the stock ROM and was able to restore it with my brother's help. Since the power button has been replaced I've had zero problems. There is most certainly a power button issue and just as likely a software issue that could cause a reboot.

However, if you have a button issue the lock screen will appear randomly, the screen will wake and sleep intermittently and the phone will reboot, shutdown abd startup on its own. If you had/have none of these symptoms then the button is probably NOT your issue.

Rocky Mojica

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

so after doing a hard reset the phone finally boots back up like normal but still running into random shut downs and vibrating every 2 secs. So leaves me with a button issue I guess. Does anybody know how to take apart the phone to clean the power button with alcohol as mentioned above??

Rocky Mojica

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Seems I spoke too soon. The issue came back with a vengeance and now I have to keep tapping the power button to even get it to boot up, but once I stop tapping the button it shuts down. Any ideas next? I guess I need to find someone to repair the power button

josiahg52

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Well, to add a litle more background, my problem happened with both the original GB software and the official ICS upgrade. I elected against the motherboard replacement and sent it to Cell Phone Repair Pros. For $60 they replaced the power button and so far it is working great. I rooted today and it is still working great. It seems my problem has been solved.

For now; only been a few days.

ETA: I haven't seen any official JB release for our phones.

Seems I spoke too soon. The issue came back with a vengeance and now I have to keep tapping the power button to even get it to boot up, but once I stop tapping the button it shuts down. Any ideas next? I guess I need to find someone to repair the power button

See my above quoted post. The repair lasted all of the way until I upgraded last weekend to the S4 Active. Cell Phone Repair Pros worked for me.

jonchi

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: turn off by it selfs some times

Some times my phone shutdown by it selfs and i need to take the batt out ... and then put it back in
and then the phone starts

can some one help me?

Samsung galxy S2 skyrocket AT&T
Os ice cream sand wich