USB device not recognized

dadblammer

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
The little tongue seems very stiff, so be careful prying on it very hard at all, it will likely break if over stressed. I was too nervous to put too much pressure on it, so that didnt work for me. The next thing I tried was taking the battery out, and scraping the contacts, and the rails they rest in clear of debris. Bingo!! solid contact every time. :)
Using both of those methods in conjunction with one another should be a 100% fix.

zEver

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Great thanks for the solution, robert n :>

My problem with Samsung phone was not only "USB Device not recognized" message, but also inability to charge with the charger. The phone just wouldn't charge with the charger, so I had to connect it to the PC via usb, and that wouldn't work 100% of the time either, because sometimes I'd just get "USB device not recognized" message.
I thought about cleaning the contacts, but I didn't think about the fact, that the little tongue in usb3 socket in the phone could be bent. Just now I tried to bend it back into position with a toothpick and it worked, not only is the phone properly recognized by the PC, but the charger works fine again.

Once again: great thanks : )

Try this...it worked for me...Except I started getting this all of the sudden and Every single time I would connect to my PC.

I read this solution on the internet but did not think it would work...but I took 2 minutes and tried it and it worked! give it a try..you only have to lose 2 minutes...

1. hold your phone and look at the micro USB connector on the bottom edge of your Skyrocket

2. you will see a "tongue" inside the USB port.

3. put something "non metalic" (I used a flat wooden toothpick). Gently, lift up the "tongue"..
I used a twirling motion on my toothpick to raise the tongue up a little bit. Don't Go PRYING it up...just be gentle because you don't want to break your toothpick inside the phone or break the Tongue.

I did this and now I do not get the "USB device is not recognized". Give it a try and post here if it worked for you. Spread the word if it does.

Good Luck!

Miki800

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I, Like many others, have registered only to thank you!! :)
THIS TOTALLY WORKED FOR ME! :D

only I did not use a wooden toothpick cause I didn't have one and wanted to fix this immediately
I used a metalic Olfa cutter
OLFA_cutter.JPG

instead, since it is metallic I will not recommend this, but I got lucky and my problems went away thanks to you! :)

I thought that its a software issue at first since the phone detected being connected ("charging...")
but in fact it was only connected to power, not to the data, and your solution fixed everything for me!! :)
thank you so much!!

Try this...it worked for me...Except I started getting this all of the sudden and Every single time I would connect to my PC.

I read this solution on the internet but did not think it would work...but I took 2 minutes and tried it and it worked! give it a try..you only have to lose 2 minutes...

1. hold your phone and look at the micro USB connector on the bottom edge of your Skyrocket

2. you will see a "tongue" inside the USB port.

3. put something "non metalic" (I used a flat wooden toothpick). Gently, lift up the "tongue"..
I used a twirling motion on my toothpick to raise the tongue up a little bit. Don't Go PRYING it up...just be gentle because you don't want to break your toothpick inside the phone or break the Tongue.

I did this and now I do not get the "USB device is not recognized". Give it a try and post here if it worked for you. Spread the word if it does.

Good Luck!

sakhari8

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Lifting up worked for me also.

Thanks man.

I had a feeling that the micro usb was bent. I got a car dock from sprint and the cable is so short. when it docks you feel the cable bending and putting pressure on the micro usb. Guess its time to stop using it.

Roxolan

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
usb connection mode - My Samsung Galaxy 3 (GT-i5801) is not being detected by my PC -- What should I do? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

Resolution

Unplug the USB cable

On the cell phone, dial the number *#7284#. Once the last # is hit, the PhoneUtil application is launched. Choose USB -> Modem and then USB -> PDA mode. The good mode should be PDA. Even if the mode is PDA, switch to Modem and then back to PDA.
Also choose UART -> PDA and then UART -> MODEM mode. The good mode should be MODEM for UART. Even if the mode is MODEM, switch to PDA and then back to MODEM(UART).
Plug in the USB cable.

Note:

This is not only for Samsung Galaxy 3 - Android phone, but it is also used to repair the USB connection for any Samsung Android phone.
The tongue thing did not work for me, but this did (even though both modes were already where they should be). Thank you.

Rumpig

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I had this problem and I was using my usb charging cord that came with the phone to connect to the comp. After hours of trying different things i used an old nokia mini usb cable and it installed drivers straight away no errors and was able to access my phone. So if the tip here doesn't work try another cable.

Rumpig.

knottachance

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This worked! Stopped the "USB device not recognised". Thanks :)
Although there was still a problem - Wondershare MobileGo which needs USB debugging enabled was saying to enable debugging - it was. Had to untick and tick it again - all's good now.

Shawn Penson

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Like many others i had tried everything for about 2h to get the phone to connect. In installed and reinstalled both versions of Kies several times. Rebooted the phone and my computer and even tried the USB tab trick outlined above. Nothing worked. Then on a whim i thought that maybe there was a cable issue. I was using the generic usb cable from my old phone which was connected to my computer rather than the samsung cable that came with my phone. I went and got the Samsung cable from the charger and it connected properly on the first try. Seems like there is some proprietary things going on in that cable. Has anyone else seen this particular problem?

Prafull Chaturvedi

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi, It really worked. Thanks.

Take care while using toothpick. In my case it did break and I had to remove the broken part with help of pin but of course after switcing off the phone and remove the battery. Please be careful. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gene Souza

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Amazing...it worked. Tried the toothpick, but did not want to pry to hard...did not work. Then tried plastic pick to clean connections...did not work. Then used my wife's cutical tool to pry up..and it works.
Silly Samsung.:p

FR Sheffield

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Reading the solution to fiddle with the connector using the toothpick, I just changed the cable and it worked. I had a cable plugged in to a USB port all the time for charging and for remote storage access (photos) but all the sudden it stopped letting me connect to my phone's storage but the phone still showed as "charging". Changing the cable lets me do both again. Putting the old cable back on and I get the USB device not recognized message again but the phone starts to charge.

Mario DCruz

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
This is because your device is connecting to the laptop as a "media device". This is changed easily by (after connecting your USB cable to the PC and the phone) pulling down the notification bar from the top of the screen (the black bar at topmost with small icons on it for new users). The first entry should see is called "Ongoing"and it tells you how the device is connected to the PC (either as a camera or a media device-you can activate (by touching) either the camera optionif you want to access your files or the media option if you want to play music or videos on your computer directly.
Lastly, depending on how you use your camera in between USB connection times you would have to do this again if your device is not recognised the next time you plug it in (because sometimes when it's on a wireless network the device automatically switches back to media device)
please post back if this helps
Mario

kronos77

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Awesome it worked like a charm, I spent almost an hour trying to re-install the driver and boot my laptop numerous times. Never thought the solution would be so simple and non-technical :p Thanks s ton!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret