Skyrocket now officially supported by Cyanogenmod!

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much like any rom.

Download CM and the Google apps addon then put them on the sd card.
Reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery.
Choose "wipe data/factory reset" then go back to main menu.
Go to the Advanced menu and choose "wipe dalvik cache" then back to main menu.
Choose "Install zip from sd card" then scroll down to your cm rom and flash it.
Repeat the last step except flash the Gapps addon.
Reboot and enjoy :)

Skyrocket download page is here http://get.cm/?device=skyrocket&type=

And the Google apps can be found here. Be sure to download the CM9 version.
Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Just so you know, this is a nightly build which could have a few bugs. But I've been running it for a couple days now and its been pretty solid. The one thing I've noticed is the capacitive buttons on the bottom don't light up every once in a while but they come back on.

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm a noob and haven't a clue what this is. Can someone here can tell me why I would install Cyanogenmod.. it it like ICS and do you have to root to install it? What are the advantages, etc? Thanks.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
No stable build yet but it could be close, the rom is stable and everything works so far.

And yes the phone has to be rooted. In the words of the CM team "CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors of these cell phones."

There are no manufacturer skins on top, no carrier bloatware, or anything to drain battery or slow the phone down. Tweaks are added such as the ability to overclock/undervolt the processor among many other things without downloading extra apps. Pretty much a fast optimized version of Android, similar looking to what runs on the Galaxy Nexus but better :)

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Ronnie2.. Thanks for the information, though probably not a good direction to go for an Android noob. I was just over in the Galaxy Note forum reading a thread posted about someone wanting to get the Note, and several of the comments came from people who like the Note but hate Samsung as a company. I own a 24" Samsung monitor and both mono and color laser printers and have had great experiences with the products. However, I'm new to Andriod and never owned a Samsung phone. I have a suspicion that these people are in the minority especially given the success Sammy has had with the GS2 and Note.. Any comments?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally haven't had a problem with my phone, its been working great like the day it was new. I'm guessing a lot of the Samsung hate stems from their slow updates here in the US. People get pissy when they don't get their Ice Cream Sandwich lol

Tronyx

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm running the nightly build from today (19th) and the only issue I'm seeing is that when the phone is locked and I get a text, the screen doesn't do anything and the buttons stay lit up until I press the power button (enable screen) and then press it again (disable screen). Can anyone else verify this with the nightly from the 19th or 18th? Is this a notification feature that can be changed or a potential bug?

UPDATE: This is the 'Notification Light' feature. I have 0 experience with ICS so I am not sure if it is a feature of that or CM 9.

Last edited:

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've never used CM9 before, but am very curious about using it. Since it's probably debloated, does it have QuickOffice. If not, if I have the QuickOffice apk from one of the ICS leaks, would that work?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ill try to answer all those questions in one post lol, here goes. The notification light is a feature of CyanogenMod. I disabled it for now as it seems to make the lights and screen kinda screwy every once in a while. Must be a bug.

I'm not sure about QuickOffice, but it should be able to install and run on CM. The apk should be found in /system/app in any rom zip that has it.

As far as I know, all the builds boot up. I did wipe /system, data, cache and dalvik cache before I flashed the nightly so try that. Or just flash darkside super wipe and wipe dalvik cache before flashing CM9. I'm not quite sure if you need the boot loader from one the ICS leaks, that could also be the problem.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jedah and scmagee

Tronyx

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you guys are having any issues. I backed up with Titanium, booted to CWM Touch, wiped data, wiped delvik cache, flashed CM9 Nighty from the 19th, flashed Google Apps for CM9 and it booted perfectly. Phone is running the best it ever has now!

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
CM9 makes me glad. Happy to see it's on the Skyrocket. I've had it on my HP TouchPad for many months. Seems we Skyrocket users got it so late.

Tronyx

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question and I apologize if it's noobish, but since I have the nightly build from the 19th installed is it possible to update to the nightly from the 20th or later? What happens when the official release comes out? Flash again?

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For nightlies, you keep flashing. If there's a new Google Apps package that comes out, you have to install that too the same way. Pretty easy from the boot menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781