ROM Manager

Tronyx

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Installed ROM Manager and I get the pop-up telling me I need to flash CWM Touch before I can do anything. I already have CWM Touch installed, but I don't want to click 'Install' when ROM Manager prompts me. Will clicking 'Install' let ROM Manager detect that it is already installed or does it have to actually be flash via ROM Manager for it to work properly?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing so but unless you pay for Rom Manager, you have to flash the touch version of CWM manually anyways. What exactly are you using rom manager to do? Fix permissions is about all I use it for.
Don't try to flash roms or anything from the app itself, do it manually in recovery instead. Rom Manager is notorious for not correctly wiping partions correctly thus causing bootloops or worse.

Reactions: Tronyx

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing so but unless you pay for Rom Manager, you have to flash the touch version of CWM manually anyways. What exactly are you using rom manager to do? Fix permissions is about all I use it for.
Don't try to flash roms or anything from the app itself, do it manually in recovery instead. Rom Manager is notorious for not correctly wiping partions correctly thus causing bootloops or worse.
+1 on this...

ROM Manager will not allow you to do anything until it installs recovery itself, which in some cases has erased or screwed up your current installation of CWM.

As the user above stated, just do it all manually from within CWM itself for maintaining your device. It will result in less headaches down the road.

Reactions: Tronyx

Tronyx

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for your advice. I'm new to Android and just recently flashed CM9 Nightly (June 19th) since I've been experiencing severe performance issues with the 2.3.6 update that AT&T pushed out. I just removed ROM Manager even though it came pre-installed with CM9. I'll stick to doing what (little) I know and use CWM for flashing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your welcome for the advice.

As far as using CWM, flashing is very simple.

Always use the back up option to make a back up to restore to just incase.

Always wipe data/cache partition & dalvik cache prior to installing a Rom unless otherwise stated by the developer.

If in doubt about anything just ask before doing :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Tronyx

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty much what I've learned and utilized. Granted, this is only the 2nd ROM I've ever flashed on my SR, but I can definitely see how it can get addicting rather quickly.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
after flashing a "no wake on volume" mode on Sky ICS yesterday I wasn't able to fix permission through the ROM manager, it was giving me the same message as in OP. So i fixed permissions through CWM touch and uninstalled The ROM manager... my question is: is there any difference between doing this in the ROM manager vs CWM touch?
thanks...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No.
Same thing is done and both CWM and ROM Manager are made the same person.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Reactions: dalvik