Kies for Skyrocket?

skigoddess

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am confused. After reading several posts in the Skyrocket threads, I was under the impression that the ICS update (whenever they flip the switch) would need to be downloaded through Kies. I just had a chat session with Samsung and they are telling me Kies is not compatible with the i727 and that the ICS update would be avaible OTA.

So what is it? Do any of you have Kies working with the i727? And will the ICS update be OTA for me? :)

Thanks for your input!

skigoddess

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I know I have Kies Air. I have used it from time to time. Is that what I'll need to download ICS when it comes out? I was under the impression that Kies and Kies Air are different things and that I would need to download updates through Kies on the PC.

ozziedog

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
When I had 2.3.5 on Skyrocket Kies worked fine. Now with 2.3.6, I get the following message when I connect to Kies "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies". I uninstalled Kies and re-installed on pc and same thing.

mdanderson

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
When I had 2.3.5 on Skyrocket Kies worked fine. Now with 2.3.6, I get the following message when I connect to Kies "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies". I uninstalled Kies and re-installed on pc and same thing.

Yes I get the same message and most of the time I can't even get Kies to connect to my Skyrocket. I really don't like Kies so far. It is too unreliable.

Chrstauffe

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here, with 2.3.5 Kies worked fine. now with 2.3.6 i get the same message. but it still backs up my phone. but it will not take my phone back to 2.3.5 :-(

cbn4forums

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It looks like Kies itself works but can not be used for software upgrade - at least that is the message I get when I connect it. I can do anything else.

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Connects fine for me it just say no firmware available at this time. When's ics coming to skyrocket?!?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

FredOak3

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Same as most...I can connect to Kies, but it says not compatible for upgrades.

Typical, So once ICS is out wonder what the correction or delivery method will be.

skigoddess

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Same as most...I can connect to Kies, but it says not compatible for upgrades.

Typical, So once ICS is out wonder what the correction or delivery method will be.

Same here. I was told that the Skyrocket would update via OTA when it comes out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

john144

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
There is Kies and there is Kies Air. I have never had a problem running Kies Air and talking to my phone from my PC. However, the desktop app Kies is a different story. It's nice to at least hear the regular Samsung Kies desktop app does not support Skyrocket. I have tried it on three different Windows 7 machines until I read someplace that it wouldn't run on 64-bit Windows 7. Then I tried a 32-bit XP machine, and it didn't run there either. I know there is nothing wrong with my drivers because I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled them over and over again.

I plug my phone into the USB port, and the computer recognizes it, and so does Kies, because it keeps trying to connect. At the same time, I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet that I can just plug in at the same time, and it comes right up, while the phone is still cranking away.

This is really bumming me out :'( because I love :) this phone and all the Samsung products that I own, but they need to improve their support and customer communications.

SpringCTIL

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning:

Could it be Kies isn't working because it's looking for two key pieces of info that aren't there?

If you open Kies then go to Tools then Firmware upgrade & initialization, it asks for two pieces of info about the phone. The S/N & model number.

After you put that info in you get this message.

The device can be initialized to its original settings. All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed. Do you want to proceed with firmware upgrade & initialization?

I don't want it wiping out everything on my phone I just want it to upgrade the OS so I've said no at this point until I know everything isn't getting wiped out.

I don't know if that's the reason why Kies isn't working but I talked with AT&T on Friday & they said the ICS upgrade will be over Kies PC not OTA.

They committed to having a tech call me Saturday to get this done & as usual, after i cleared my schedule, nobody called. :-(

Spring.

john144

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
To get the serial number, you have to take the back off the phone and remove the battery, which I just did. Then, I found a free app that will give you this information. So, if you'd rather download a free app than take your phone apart, do this.

1. Go to Google Play.
2. Install and run "Test Phone Info" by linxmap
3. Select "More Info".
4. Scroll down until you find RIL.SERIALNUMBER. That's it.
5. You must enter the serial number in Kies as all caps.

SpringCTIL

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi:

After you put that info in Kies though the question becomes, if you run it, will Kies do this.

The device can be initialized to its original settings. All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed. Do you want to proceed with firmware upgrade & initialization?

I don't want it wiping out everything on my phone I just want it to upgrade the OS so I've said no at this point until I know everything isn't getting wiped out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton