Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kies for Skyrocket?

I am confused. After reading several posts in the Skyrocket threads, I was under the impression that the ICS update (whenever they flip the switch) would need to be downloaded through Kies. I just had a chat session with Samsung and they are telling me Kies is not compatible with the i727 and that the ICS update would be avaible OTA.

So what is it? Do any of you have Kies working with the i727? And will the ICS update be OTA for me?

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Kies for Skyrocket?

Lol, the Samsung Phone Support people are clueless sometimes... It comes with the phone and works fine.
    Last edited by skyrocketeer; 06-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your response. I know I have Kies Air. I have used it from time to time. Is that what I'll need to download ICS when it comes out? I was under the impression that Kies and Kies Air are different things and that I would need to download updates through Kies on the PC.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

When I had 2.3.5 on Skyrocket Kies worked fine. Now with 2.3.6, I get the following message when I connect to Kies "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies". I uninstalled Kies and re-installed on pc and same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post
    When I had 2.3.5 on Skyrocket Kies worked fine. Now with 2.3.6, I get the following message when I connect to Kies "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies". I uninstalled Kies and re-installed on pc and same thing.
    Yes I get the same message and most of the time I can't even get Kies to connect to my Skyrocket. I really don't like Kies so far. It is too unreliable.

Same here, with 2.3.5 Kies worked fine. now with 2.3.6 i get the same message. but it still backs up my phone. but it will not take my phone back to 2.3.5 :-(

It looks like Kies itself works but can not be used for software upgrade - at least that is the message I get when I connect it. I can do anything else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kies for Skyrocket?-sumsang-kies.png  

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cbn4forums View Post
    It looks like Kies itself works but can not be used for software upgrade - at least that is the message I get when I connect it. I can do anything else.
    I second this. Same thing for me.

Connects fine for me it just say no firmware available at this time. When's ics coming to skyrocket?!?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by feelinfroggy23 View Post
    Connects fine for me it just say no firmware available at this time. When's ics coming to skyrocket?!?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm guessing Mid July. But then again, they could just say F it and not do one.

When you connect wirelessly to Kies, where do you look for a firmware upgrade?

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    When you connect wirelessly to Kies, where do you look for a firmware upgrade?
    You have to use the PC version of Kies. Kies Wireless is just for syncing documents, pics, and music.
    Thanked by:
    TgeekB 

Same as most...I can connect to Kies, but it says not compatible for upgrades.

Typical, So once ICS is out wonder what the correction or delivery method will be.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Im assuming our service provider.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by FredOak3 View Post
    Same as most...I can connect to Kies, but it says not compatible for upgrades.

Typical, So once ICS is out wonder what the correction or delivery method will be.
    Same here. I was told that the Skyrocket would update via OTA when it comes out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

There is Kies and there is Kies Air. I have never had a problem running Kies Air and talking to my phone from my PC. However, the desktop app Kies is a different story. It's nice to at least hear the regular Samsung Kies desktop app does not support Skyrocket. I have tried it on three different Windows 7 machines until I read someplace that it wouldn't run on 64-bit Windows 7. Then I tried a 32-bit XP machine, and it didn't run there either. I know there is nothing wrong with my drivers because I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled them over and over again.

I plug my phone into the USB port, and the computer recognizes it, and so does Kies, because it keeps trying to connect. At the same time, I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet that I can just plug in at the same time, and it comes right up, while the phone is still cranking away.

This is really bumming me out because I love this phone and all the Samsung products that I own, but they need to improve their support and customer communications.

Good Morning:

Could it be Kies isn't working because it's looking for two key pieces of info that aren't there?

If you open Kies then go to Tools then Firmware upgrade & initialization, it asks for two pieces of info about the phone. The S/N & model number.

After you put that info in you get this message.

The device can be initialized to its original settings. All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed. Do you want to proceed with firmware upgrade & initialization?

I don't want it wiping out everything on my phone I just want it to upgrade the OS so I've said no at this point until I know everything isn't getting wiped out.

I don't know if that's the reason why Kies isn't working but I talked with AT&T on Friday & they said the ICS upgrade will be over Kies PC not OTA.

They committed to having a tech call me Saturday to get this done & as usual, after i cleared my schedule, nobody called. :-(

Spring.

To get the serial number, you have to take the back off the phone and remove the battery, which I just did. Then, I found a free app that will give you this information. So, if you'd rather download a free app than take your phone apart, do this.

1. Go to Google Play.
    2. Install and run "Test Phone Info" by linxmap
    3. Select "More Info".
    4. Scroll down until you find RIL.SERIALNUMBER. That's it.
    5. You must enter the serial number in Kies as all caps.

Hi:

After you put that info in Kies though the question becomes, if you run it, will Kies do this.

The device can be initialized to its original settings. All settings and data will be deleted, and the latest software version will be installed. Do you want to proceed with firmware upgrade & initialization?

I don't want it wiping out everything on my phone I just want it to upgrade the OS so I've said no at this point until I know everything isn't getting wiped out.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That just restores it to 2.3.5 though. Samsung just needs to update kies to work with 2.3.6 to solve this problem.

They are different things. Kies Air runs on your phone, and you connect to it from your PC via a browser. Samsung Kies runs on your PC, and is supposed to recognize your device when you plug it is via USB. My Skyrocket is running 2.3.6, and my computer and Kies both detect that a connection was made, but Kies just sits there and doesn't fully connect. I have tested this on WIndows 7 and XP. When I plug my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 into the USB, even at the same time, Samsung Kies recognizes it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by john144 View Post
    They are different things. Kies Air runs on your phone, and you connect to it from your PC via a browser. Samsung Kies runs on your PC, and is supposed to recognize your device when you plug it is via USB. My Skyrocket is running 2.3.6, and my computer and Kies both detect that a connection was made, but Kies just sits there and doesn't fully connect. I have tested this on WIndows 7 and XP. When I plug my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 into the USB, even at the same time, Samsung Kies recognizes it right away.
    Same here my SR has never accepted connection on lies, but lies air works fine. Many people are having this problem, therefore when ics is released on down the road it should be OTA instead of kies. I'm wondering that maybe a OTA release is the reason why its taking so long. Do you think that att will give us a heads up on when the update will happen or will they just release it randomly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts

Right-Click > Run as Administrator

Don't know why, but was only way for Kies to recognize my phone.

I think the non-release is more deliberate than random. Like many of you, I constantly check the Settings page for updates. You used to be able to check for updates as many times as you wanted, but I noticed that the same weekend that ICS for Samsung Galaxy S II came out, when I checked for updates for my SR, there was a long pause as if there were extensive checking and/or downloading, and now I can only check for updates a 24 hour intervals, and not a minute sooner. It's like somebody is aware that people want this update and that they are constantly checking for it, and they keep pinging the server.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
    Right-Click > Run as Administrator

Don't know why, but was only way for Kies to recognize my phone.
    My Skyrocket is on 2.3.6 not working for me, I still get the following "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies"

I think this option only works if your Skyrocket is running 2.3.5.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast