Go Phone

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
been there so i hope for you that brighter days arise. Unfortunately, I do not believe that will work. Not 100% though. It's not difficult to break up the family plan and move over to a separate account. I had to a while back and at least that was painless.
Some things may work, bit im almost positive data will not. I think I remember reading something about att and prepaid phone owners. It might have been calls, texts, work but data was a no-go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Last edited:

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, my Military friend is correct. If you get a Go Phone, the sim card will work in the Skyrocket for phone and text....but data will not work unless you are in a Wi-Fi area. The good news is there are a lot more Wi-Fi hot spots now than in the past. I do not know if you will get 4G LTE with a go phone sim card....most likely 3g only since there is no data plan. A simple call to your local ATT store will answer that one.

My advice would be not to let ATT know that you are going around the contract you already have to keep your Skyrocket working with a Go Phone Sim Card. Tell them it?s a gift for someone....if they even ask.

Best of luck my friend....better days ahead.

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
There is always the unlocking the phone option...so it will accept a T-Mobile sim. T-Mobile has "pay as you go" plans that give you both Phone and Web. 4Gb of web for $60 a month.

the $35 and $50 plans are not bad either.

But again....you have to unlock the phone.

Good Luck.

braaandooon

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My go phone sim wasn't recognized by my skyrocket it said please insert proper usim, and etc, I called go phone customer service from a seperate line, anyways the service Rep said that the sim was locked to my prior go phone and I had to put it in my skyrocket and he had to change a few settings after first reboot I had phone and text, but no data, then was asked for model of my phone as I guess he changed something else, anyways after 10 minutes with customer service I have a fully functional skyrocket on go phone, wish this ics update would hurry along, or atleast some info whether it will be an ota or kies download so I can ditch go phone and get a straight talk sim

braaandooon

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
$75 for unlimited talk and text and 1gb of data, major scam on att's part if you ask me, I'd already of jumped ship to a straight talk sim if there was some clarity as to ics being an ota upgrade or kies, hope there is some light shed on this soon because for straight talk's byod its $45 a month for unlimited talk text and unlimited data(2gb) on att's network

braaandooon

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Also if you do decide to put a go phone sim in a skyrocket or any premium att phone be sure to let the Rep know you are making the switch because you broke the go phone that the sim is locked too, att's policy on these locked go phone sims is they can't be unlocked until after the sim has been active for 180 days, stating that your original go phone is broke seems to be the only way to force att's hand at unlocking these sims, its worked for me and a co worker of mine, hope this helps

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Good info to know!! Are we talking full 4G LTE???

You are right about the price!!! T-Mobile does unlimited talk and text + 4Gb of data for $60 a month on the pay as you go plan and you do get 4G through the T-Mobile network....just no LTE.

I would think no matter what carrier you went with...as long as you kept the ATT sim card....when ICS does come out.....if it's OTA, you would be able to download it via a AT&T hotspot or free Wi-Fi area.

braaandooon

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about Lte capabilities, I live out in the sticks where satellite broadband is the only source for internet and the only wireless coverage for miles is att's edge, I do know I was able to get standard 4g on my phone out in a bigger market, pertaining to the att sim are you saying I would still have access to the att servers via Wi-Fi if the sim is no longer active?

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can still update through Wi-Fi...even if your service is not active. AT&T rep confirmed this. Not to mention I did it myself with the update to 2.3.6. My service was off due to a billing issue and I still updated via Wi-Fi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm