Uh-Oh! Phone won't charge! (water damage)

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
So last night I dropped my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket in the bathroom and it fell into a little bit of water. Some water got into the charging port on the bottom. I picked it up within 3 seconds but I guess the damage was done. I immediately turned the phone off and let it dry for a while. Then turned it back on.

Well this morning I go to charge the battery and when I plugged in the wall charger nothing happened. I assume that the water killed the charging input. Luckily when I bought my Skyrocket I also bought a separate Samsung battery charger. So I can charge the batteries through there in the meantime.

So my options are:
1) Use insurance, pay deductible, get new Skyrocket (correct?)
- How much is the deductible? (couldn't find it on my bill or online)
- More importantly, do they give you a refurbished phone when you use your insurance on a damaged phone? If they do, I don't want to do that. I want a NEW replacement.
2) Go to the store and try and convince them to let me pay the insurance and get a Galaxy S3. Although I've heard this never works. In that case I'd have to pay the full $550 if I really wanted. That's insane. :)
3) Just go straight to Google and buy the Nexus outright for $349.

I'm not sure which avenue I want to go down. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. While writing this a friend told me to put my phone in a bag of rice and that will suck out any moisture. But will that fix the charge port. My phones' been running since 9pm last night when this happened and I thought it was dried all the way.

mallardhunter

May 3, 2012
Visit site
You can take it to a repair shop and they can repair it. You can check on line for parts and repair it yourself
There are how to's on you tube. I repaired two razors with good results. One the screen went out on. The other one the key board stop working. It is not as bad a you might think. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: TvTechGuru

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, put it in a bag of rice overnight and it did the trick! Thanks all! Glad it didn't have to come to the point of repair or replacement.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Although the only other thing that I just noticed doesn't work is when I plug it into my computer it doesn't get recognized and therefore I can't sync it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

vsample0011

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about water damage on my Galaxy also. On Saturday night (9/29) my child accidentally threw up on my phone. He wiped it off and such, but didn't tell me until morning. I tried to turn it on, without checking whether or not the water indicator had been tripped. After trying to turn it on, I looked at the battery and saw that the indicator had turned red. I put the phone in rice a few hours later, and its been sitting in rice for about a day now. Will the phone work again? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about water damage on my Galaxy also. On Saturday night (9/29) my child accidentally threw up on my phone. He wiped it off and such, but didn't tell me until morning. I tried to turn it on, without checking whether or not the water indicator had been tripped. After trying to turn it on, I looked at the battery and saw that the indicator had turned red. I put the phone in rice a few hours later, and its been sitting in rice for about a day now. Will the phone work again? Help would be greatly appreciated.

The rice may or may not work but it's your best bet to try it. Rice draws moisture from electronic devices very good. Just make sure it's totally submerged in the rice with the battery out of it and no battery cover on it. Like others have stated leave it in the rice for about 2 days if you can't wait that long then at least keep it in over night and then try it. If it doesn't work then it probably won't anymore. Good luck :thumbup:

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

vsample0011

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I tried it. The phone turned on, I could feel the vibrations and everything, but the display did not come on. Whenever I popped the battery in, it automatically turned on. Is there any way I can make the water damage indicator turn white again? Or how can I solve the display issue?

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to say but I think its toast. Water probably fried something on the main board. As far as the water indicator to my knowledge there is no way to get it back to original color. Hope you have insurance.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a bit of a problem with my skyrocket too. I went to a river a couple months back and I put my phone in my pocket and jumped in :) I noticed my phone after a minute or so and quickly pulled it out and dried it. When I got home I promptly pulled it apart and let it marinate in a bowl of rice for a week. When i pulled it out it worked fine and life was great, the problem started occurring about a month or so after the incident. My phone started to only charge to about 96%, and slowly over the next couple of week that limit began to drop until i couldn't charge my phone at all, as soon as i disconnected it, it would die. I tried using a different charger and I even bought a new battery and nothing worked. I just got declined for my insurance (not surprised it was completely my fault), so now I'm stuck with a phone that can't charge, it's almost like having a land line again. If you have any suggestion on what I could do, I'm open ears. I am completely open to open the whole thing up and replacing parts and the whole shebang, it's not like I am going to void my warranty even more :p

Rene Lazo

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your post, you pointed me to the right direction.
What i did to fix it: brush and rubbing alcohol, i took it apart brushed it with alcohol and dried it with a heat gun (not too close)
im back up thanks.

Nicole Marie1

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: TVTECHGURU Uh-Oh! Phone won't charge! (water damage)

How long was it "damaged" before you put it in the rice bag and it worked?? Please let me know because mine has been "damaged" a little while.

ashley09876

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: TVTECHGURU Uh-Oh! Phone won't charge! (water damage)

I have a problem with my samsung galaxy s2. My friend slept over and I had left my phone in the bed with us while we slept, we fell asleep around 7 or 8 in the moarning this being her first night sleeping over she had an accident and we woke up around 12 the whole bed was soaked inuding my phone I brung it to my mom and she dryed it and put it in a bowl of rice we kept it there for two days and it was still broken so we replaced the battery and used a different charger it still doesn't work this was about a week after christmas please help me.

Last edited:

Eric Sevier

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Really? A bag of rice? Wouldn't setting that battery in the sun for a couple hours dry the water more quickly and completely?
I was thinking of trying it. Anyone know why the quick fix always seems to be rice when there are so many ways to evaporate water?

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Really? A bag of rice? Wouldn't setting that battery in the sun for a couple hours dry the water more quickly and completely?
I was thinking of trying it. Anyone know why the quick fix always seems to be rice when there are so many ways to evaporate water?
Because the rice pulls the moisture away from the electronics and attaches itself to the grains. When you set it out to dry in the sun or another heat source the water heats up directly on said electronic components and then eventually evaporates also there could still be condensation inside with just merely heating it up in the sun so to say. It's faster and more through with the rice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey