Went back to 2.3.6 and all is fine.

shinsen1378

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I had so many issues with ICS I had the local AT&T Service Center flash my phone back to 2.3.6 and now everything works great. Next time there is a major upgrade I won't be so quick to install it.

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I had so many issues with ICS I had the local AT&T Service Center flash my phone back to 2.3.6 and now everything works great. Next time there is a major upgrade I won't be so quick to install it.

Me too. I reverted back last week and all is good again. What an unbelievably failed update.

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What a JOKE ICS was. I loved the changes that worked, even the signal strength on my phone was 1/2 along with the constant freezes.

Too bad, I wish there was a way to make it work, looking at the Motorola Atrix II HD, but if you want all the goodies, Samsung is the only one with everything and I refuse to play games with a company that leaves their phones 1/2 working until end of life. Now is the time to go back to my HTC Inspire and wait a year for Samsung to get a clue. RIM could tell Samsung a few stories about lagging software!

Did the people at AT&T have any input? If Samsung was any kind of company they would have at least made a Ooops statement!

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
What a JOKE ICS was. I loved the changes that worked, even the signal strength on my phone was 1/2 along with the constant freezes.

Too bad, I wish there was a way to make it work, looking at the Motorola Atrix II HD, but if you want all the goodies, Samsung is the only one with everything and I refuse to play games with a company that leaves their phones 1/2 working until end of life. Now is the time to go back to my HTC Inspire and wait a year for Samsung to get a clue. RIM could tell Samsung a few stories about lagging software!

Did the people at AT&T have any input? If Samsung was any kind of company they would have at least made a Ooops statement!

I honestly dont have to many problems with ICS. In the beginning i did think it was a completely failed update but after a quick wipe i could tell my phone was faster than before. Battery life is pretty decent with system power saving on i can get 18 hours of usage with 4 hours of on screen time. The only thing I REALLY HATE is the android keyboard it lags so much i deemed it useless. Therefore i made the switch to the samsung keypad and honestly after getting used to it i really love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: patrick533

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I honestly dont have to many problems with ICS. In the beginning i did think it was a completely failed update but after a quick wipe i could tell my phone was faster than before. Battery life is pretty decent with system power saving on i can get 18 hours of usage with 4 hours of on screen time. The only thing I REALLY HATE is the android keyboard it lags so much i deemed it useless. Therefore i made the switch to the samsung keypad and honestly after getting used to it i really love it.

AT&T is sending me a warranty phone, just got off the phone with them. I use Swiftkey for a keyboard and had no lag on ICS. Just a lot of freezing on various native apps, like the browser and camera, loosing pictures I just took. Like I said above, 50% less signal strength was a real killer for me.

When I get the next victim I will reload ICS and do a Factory reset. When I reloaded GB it was not working right either and I had to do a factory reset, so if I have to backup all of my texts and reload all of my apps on a new phone, I may as well give ICS a try at that time, I have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Really like the phone and I need voice dialing which GB does not do.

I think Swiftkey 3 has a free trial, you may want to give it a shot. When switching brands of phones I always have the same keyboard, maybe not right for all, but worked for me.

Once I get the new phone and give it a couple of days on ICS after a factory reset I will report back. Hopefully it is a good thing. They told me they will replace the phone after this one with a different model, not really what I want. I offered to reinstall ICS and do a reset tonight but they already had the new phone processed and shipping.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know AT&T stores could flash and older OS to your phone?! In fact in another thread someone said they had problems with ICS on their skyrocket and the store told them they couldn't help them with software related issues because they didn't have the ability to.

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know AT&T stores could flash and older OS to your phone?! In fact in another thread someone said they had problems with ICS on their skyrocket and the store told them they couldn't help them with software related issues because they didn't have the ability to.

Only a service center can, not all stores are service centers.

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Got a new phone from AT&T, it already had ICS loaded on it. It works great compared to the last one, I have been through most everything on it including hands free and the GPS, not a problem. I have noticed that Handcent is causing freezes with ICS on the Skyrocket so I switched to the native SMS/MMS app and no more problems. Contacted Handcent and they have been fighting this for a while and they are aware of the freezing when TRYING to send pictures. My camera was freezing before too, taken a lot of pictures on ICS, no freezing on this new phone. The AT&T signal indicator is slow to adjust, it will show 1 bar in a 5 bar area, but make a call and it pops right up to 5 bars, that is a little annoying.

I'm thinking that a factory reset needs to be done after the upgrade if you are coming from stock GB to stock ICS if you are having problems. For some people the upgrade is flawless, for other there are too many problems to count. I was the latter. My Wife who has a Skyrocket also, does not see what the big deal about ICS is and has opted to stay with GB for now, reloading all her apps is not appealing to her. Sooner or later she will show up with "XYZ's phone does this how come mine won't?" and I will end up doing the upgrade for her then.

Using my HTC Inspire last week waiting for the warranty Skyrocket, the phone part of the Inspire knocks the socks off of the Skyrocket, it sounds so much better then the Skyrocket. I need to start looking at why I really need this Skyrocket with the snails pace AT&T is rolling out LTE. I think I am going to start passing on the yearly upgrades I get on my business plan.

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I also am a happy ics user I was using custom roms before the official came back I did a complete wipe of my phone though before I updated idk if that has anything to do with it or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Software Guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who dislikes ics needs to learn how to use it.

Most errors are due to the user.

A full wipe of the phone is best before installing ICS. I sincerely think that 99% of all problems with the upgrade are caused by NOT doing a full wipe. It's not about user error as much.

wall.tsoi

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Sucks for you guys. Not sure why there are so many of you with ICS problems. I have been running UCLF5 since it came out without regret. It's flawless. I saw no need to get AT&T's "official" bloated update when they announced it. ICS is fine the way it is. If you installed it improperly, or are using the official release from AT&T, well.. there's mistakes 1 and 2. I look forward to the Jelly Bean leak :)

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I had to uninstall 2 apps that kept crashing and locking up the phone running ICS. One was Weatherbug, Handcent has since released an update and it is working perfect once again after I sent in bug reports. Fast fix.....

A wipe or reset is defiantly required, I just think some 3rd party apps need a complete reinstall when changing the OS. It sure is a different phone vs the one that was JUST upgraded with no wipe. I have not had a lockup in 12 hours since removing Weatherbug either. I did not like that widget much anyhow......

Maybe it is just me, but the radio in ICS for the phone seems a little deaf, not as many bars and a slower data rate. Will know for sure when I go to work tomorrow, my desk has always been right on the edge of making a good call and having a descent data rate, move 2 offices over and NO SIGNAL.

jldoom

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, it's like other users have already mentioned, do yourself a favor and just do a full wipe on your phone. I personally did mines after I upgraded to ICS, where as other users are saying to do it before. Either way, do the wipe! I was dealing with constant freezes and I wasn't even able to use the Play store to download certain apps. ICS is really great, and I'm loving the chrome browser on it as well.

One app that I did constantly use and is worth mentioning in case you guys do too, is Google Drive. It's completely useless on ICS, at least on my phone. I cannot open word type files using Drive or anything, it just freezes my phone for about 5 minutes and then force closes. I had to resort to using google drive through the chrome browser instead, not really missing it much to be honest.

And as for the user receiving less signal strength, It actually improved my service in my apartment. With GB I was plagued with constant dead zones by mere inches in placement, really annoying to say the least.

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
They even fixed Weather Bug, still rocking ICS STOCK 2 weeks later.

If the ICS update has made your life MISERABLE, do a factory reset and note what apps are crashing the phone after because those apps probably have not been debugged on ICS. The battery is just the same if not BETTER!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Samsung's keypad is absolutely terrible because they don't let you remove the settings key from the main keyboard view causing the space bar to be too small for touch typists (we do exist).

There are a number of issues with ICS:

1. WiFi Strength and Signal Strength seem lower
2. Keyboard lag in some applications, like the stock IM client it's borderline impossible to type anything in there with any keyboard it lags so much
3. Sometimes people call me and the phone never rings, it sends them to voice mail
4. They ripped out all the Facebook and Twitter Integration from the Stock Contacts app, a dealbreaker you don't delete so much functionality on an "upgrade," sorry
5. Social Hub no longer Syncs Facebook Contacts. I prefer that to the FB App, which seems to lose Contact Pictures often requiring me to Clear Data and Set it Up from Scratch again.
6. Battery Life is worse
7. UI Latency exists all over in places where the phone was absolutely smooth on GB
8. Less RAM Available, Phone uses almost 30-40% more RAM than it was using on GB, which causes performance stutters in places where they did not exist in GB.
9. Some apps which worked fine on GB do not work fine on ICS.
10. AllShare is broken. Does not work with XB360 anymore. It's the software update, not my console. Cause I've tried: Sony Xperia ion, HTC Vivid, Droid Bionic, Samsung Vibrant - they all work with that same console pushing the same file. Samsung broke it with their ICS update, somehow.

The only main reasons to take this upgrade was to get updated GApps and Disable the Few AT&T Apps you couldn't Uninstall on GB. The data monitor is useless as I don't ever go over 3GB data. The Multi-Tasking is useless since even after you clear RAM and Exit All the apps stay there (ugh). I rather the GB interface to switching that just lists a few apps. They changed the theme in some apps like text messaging and email to use a white background instead of true black, which is BADBADBAD for AMOLED screens - Samsung should know this, they use AMOLED in ALL their smartphones phones, pretty much...

Basically, they didn't really add much, but they took a lot away and completely destroyed the UX in many places. There's no real effort in this update. They still use the GB crap gallery which they should have replaced, instead of bastardizing the contacts app and removing so much functionality from there...

It was a bad update. Trying to see if I can make it to the DSC in an hour or so to get my phone reflashed to GB. I want my Social Network integration back and I'm tired of my phone performing like something released in late 2010 on Single Core with 512 MB RAM.

I did like the upgraded Copy/Paste Interface as well as the new Voice Dictation in ICS, but that's not worth the issues I'm having with my phone right now. I can't even get Voice Talk to authenticate with Twitter on ICS it sends me to a web page. That worked fine on GB as well. It's as if this update was never tested by a real person. They just do unit tests and call it a day or something?

P.S. Most people who have been through updates on Samsung TouchWiz devices know that you should factory reset your device after ANY update, major or minor. There are always a ton of issues that pop up if you don't do that. I remember on the Vibrant if you didn't factory reset it it messed up all the DRM settings for your media, so stuff like the Preloaded Avatar movie wouldn't even play unless you factory reset the phone.

1992mjose23

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted I have an Motorola Atrix 2 and got ICS update do you think if i went to an ATT service center they can downgraded me and what you tell them so they can downgraded me please let me know i wanted to get downgrade to GB 2.3.6

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted I have an Motorola Atrix 2 and got ICS update do you think if i went to an ATT service center they can downgraded me and what you tell them so they can downgraded me please let me know i wanted to get downgrade to GB 2.3.6

Wrong forum lol, and dude learn some English.