Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Rooting the Only Way to have LTE Toggle?

The area where my mom lives recently switched to LTE (ATT) and my phone doesn't pick up her Wifi signal because it says its too weak so I rely on the mobile network there. Normally, when I normally use 3G, even though the battery drain is worse than WiFi, it never used to be this bad. Honestly the ridiculous speed gains aren't worth it if your phone is going to last long enough to use them. If I hadn't turned off the data, I would have gotten maybe 5 hours of battery life tops where before I was getting 16.

So anyways, I'm very hesitant to root my phone because whenever I do things like that something always goes wrong and I don't want to ruin a gift I got just a few months ago.

So are there any other ways besides rooting to toggle LTE? Or am I completely wrong about that too? Does rooting even allow you to toggle in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Is Rooting the Only Way to have LTE Toggle?

I don't pay attention to all the phones, but if you have ICS its, settings-mobile network-network mode... You can switch between cdma only and LTE/cdma
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hmmm... thanks for the reply but that option seems to have been removed by ATT when they tweaked ICS.

When I go into Mobil Network, there is no option for Network Mode, only 1) Use Packet Data 2) Data Roaming 3) Access Point Names 4) Network Operators

None of those options give me the option to change CDMA/LTE.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why porting an OS requires them to remove functionality. It doesn't really make any sense to me.

That option isn't available because AT&T don't do CDMA from what I've been led to believe, which of course could be bull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

No att is a gsm carrier sprint and vzw are cdma

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

The reason it's not available is because the att modem is RAT locked so they won't let you choose. You need to install a Rogers modem because it's RAT unlocked and allows you to turn lte off. At&t is a gsm/wcdma(umts)/lte carrier. Also with the Rogers modem, you can select which frequencies your phone can search for.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums