Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Default Re: AT&T Software Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I mean hardware that doesn't work when using a ROM (ex: camera, wifi connectivity, etc.).

Back to topic, I'm able to download the Isis app (showed up in the Play Store). n8ter, maybe that update was good for something after all.

Edit: I spoke too soon...it would give me a "Missing shared library" error. Maybe because I'm not in either city (Salt Lake City or Austin), and I need a special SIM card for it to work. Beans.
    Yea, I'm losing faith in mobile payments. If Microsoft's mobile payments are supported and work on release of WP8 devices, I'm doing what I can to get one ASAP. The carrier wizardry on Android is becoming a huge issue for me, and I can't be bothered to use a non-LTE Nexus Phone with that nasty stock android UI.

Like the rest of you, I'm confused as to what this update was and what other function is was suppose to bring. However, it did install successfully. But, it's no Jellybean. I attempted to install Isis app and keep getting missing library. Only redeeming feature is I'm getting ready to purchase the Note 2 later next month.

Google Wallet and Isis still don't work after the update. Still don't see anything different...
    Last edited by KJinthe417; 10-26-2012 at 06:59 PM.

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

So far, removes universal search. It adds all the bloatware and you can no longer uninstall them, you can only disable them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

I installed update and in same shape with Kies. Screen comes up saying not Supported by Kies 2.0. I put the original ICS back in and still can't get in Kies to restore backup..Might be ATT on this one or might be Kies

I just had it pop up on my phone. I'm not near a wifi area...so can someone see what kind of updates we're supposed to be getting?
    I spoke to Samsung rep about this update. I was told this was a maintenance update to fix few bugs like syncing issues and few others that I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by rgarcia900 View Post
    So far, removes universal search. It adds all the bloatware and you can no longer uninstall them, you can only disable them.

Right? This update sucks @ss! This was the best they could do? Lame sammy just lame!

From what I can see, it has a new kernel and modem.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I thought ISIS used a special SIM instead of the secure element that Google Wallet uses. See .

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by rgarcia900 View Post

:-(

That's why they didn't bother to give us a change log. It's fine though. I upgraded to Windows 8 so I'm looking into a Windows Phone 8 device. Works better with my PC and I won't have to worry about having my phone crippled behind my back anymore.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter View Post
    :-(

That's why they didn't bother to give us a change log. It's fine though. I upgraded to Windows 8 so I'm looking into a Windows Phone 8 device. Works better with my PC and I won't have to worry about having my phone crippled behind my back anymore.
    I dont have that problem lol roooooooooted and im on linux windows 8 looked neat let me know how well it runs though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

This update is junk. Wish I didn't download it. Phone seems buggy and battery life is terrible. Even pulled the battery and a factory reset. Neither helped.

ROM
    I317UCALJ2

I'll probably go back to the official ics with universal search and the ability to remove most crapware...

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I actually think I'm getting BETTER battery usage since the update. I presume that is due to the resetting that was part of the update. I applied it on 10/27/12.

My battery usage is .
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,235 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
    I actually think I'm getting BETTER battery usage since the update. I presume that is due to the resetting that was part of the update. I applied it on 10/27/12.

My battery usage is .
    I picked up a used second Skyrocket in white (for my wife...her Atrix is crapping out) and it's at 2.3.6 and factory reset. Before I move things over, I'm doing the ICS Kies update and software update. I'm hoping that it'll run well since it's going to be done from scratch.

Google Nexus 5--rooted
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (still alive and kicking)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I picked up a used second Skyrocket in white (for my wife...her Atrix is crapping out) and it's at 2.3.6 and factory reset. Before I move things over, I'm doing the ICS Kies update and software update. I'm hoping that it'll run well since it's going to be done from scratch.

See my Skyrocket ICS experiences . In short, it worked fine.

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I dont have that problem lol roooooooooted and im on linux windows 8 looked neat let me know how well it runs though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    What does rooting have to do with them removing universal search from the phone? It's something I use on a daily basis on both Mobile devices and Desktop/Notebook PCs. Do you actually search through the Windows start menu instead of just pressing Windows and typing stuff and then selecting it? Times have changed. I've gone from being able to type 2-3 letters to find an app to being forced to either use an inordinate amount of home screens, Samsung's TERRIBLE folder implementation, or going into All Apps just to scroll through screens to find things. It's a terrible user experience. It's like buying a car and having them come and take your premium tires off months later and replace them with cheap Chinese knock-offs. Same can be said for the components they ripped out of Contacts with the ICS update (and literally being forced to Install Facebook for Android to Sync Facebook contacts, and we all know how that app destroys batteries with its wakelocks, etc.).

Secondly, I just found out that the WiFi Direct on this phone is a buggy piece of trash. All it does is crash the phone. Windows 8 has built in WiFi Direct support. I've only gotten the phone to connect once and I couldn't transfer anything before it inexplicately dropped the connection. Any other time, it crashes the entire launcher/TouchWiz. AllShare cannot share to XB360, either, and the USB connection on this phone is so flakey that you never know if it'll work, nevermind Kies being a steaming pile of trash. So I'm out of options for reliably getting stuff off of this phone other than buying a BT dongle (yea, right) or emailing stuff to myself, which won't happen on either end because transferring 200MB videos over BT or email simply won't cut it.

Rooting won't fix any of that, so I'm curious as to why you've mentioned it... No one really cares about the bloatware. they probably take up like 15 MB total. Most are nothing but links to the full app in the Play Store, and almost all of them can be disabled (All Except AT&T Ready To Go).

Phone is rife with bugs. Not sure which existed pre-ICS because I didn't use the phone much with GB on it (I had a Vivid then an ion then, but DLNA and WiFi Direct worked on both those devices flawlessly). I'm not bothered to go back to reflash to GB only to find out it was broken there as well (did that with AllShare) and then reflash again to ICS (assuming my USB connection doesn't flake out and brick my phone, it's too risky at this point).

I'm taking it to AT&T tomorrow, and bringing my laptop with me cause they like to try to argue. I hope they don't make me break my computer on their face. I'm done with this B.S.

P.S. Windows 8 runs flawlessly. It's like having a full desktop OS with Motorola WebTop built into it.

I'll tell you what got updated. It's the same update I got on my Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 10.1. It disables the local search facility. If you don't know what this is and have never used it, you probably won't care. Do a Google search from your home page. Search for a name you know is in your Contact List, or for an app that you know you have installed. It the search results send you out to the web, and doesn't give you any local options, then Samsung has disabled the local search because Apple claims they hold a patent on it.

So, Apple is trying to control how your device works, even if you refused to buy an Apple for that very reason.

There is an app that you can download that reactivates this feature. The problem is, you have to put in on the SD card or your file system and reinstall it every time you want to use it. Unless your phone is rooted, and I won't root my phone after reading all the horror stories in this forum. GoogleQuickSearch.apk .

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts

I took my phone to the AT&T DSC and they replaced it with a basically brand new one that had ICS 4.0.4 but didn't have the latest update. Actually, I should have taken it back a long time ago because this device's screen looks completely different than my original one (none of the "painted look when you have a pure color on the screen i.e. black") and of course the mUSB data connection actually works. Anyways, it doesn't have the OTA update applied and I'm not going to apply it. If the JB update ends up coming to this phone and it's missing Universal Search I'll just buy another phone and move on.

AllShare is still broken on this phone, Wi-Fi Direct is still a steaming pile of trash.

Worst purchase I've made since the Galaxy S Vibrant, but then again, I should have expected that.

EDIT: @AndroidCentral, this whole Passport thing is a steaming pile of poo. I had to basically create a whole new AndroidCentral account because it wouldn't let me link my old one. Kept telling me it was not a valid account.

Same here i just lost my account too...
    use to be chrstauffe

Thanks for the heads up. I just manually checked and started the update. Took about 16 minutes from start to finish. Haven't noticed any changes at all yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T Software Update?-uploadfromtaptalk1352901012662.jpg  
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

Global Posts
    4,243 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Droid View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I just manually checked and started the update. Took about 16 minutes from start to finish. Haven't noticed any changes at all yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    Some Bloat ware is no longer uninstallable (but still disablable), and Samsung removed Universal Search from your phone. Read the thread.

i.e. If you press the search key and search for i.e. "Chris Spheeris" instead of bringing up Albums and Songs in your media Library, it will only allow you to search Google for it on the web. It's quite a nerf to the phone's functionality. One of the big complaints about WP7/7.5 was the lack of Universal Search, for example.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12