Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By asterather
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Official ICS or not?

I am really nervous about updating my phone to official ICS as the reports of problems seem to be extensive. Things like GPS issues, lag, and poor battery performance are trade-offs I don't want to make, but I like the features of ICS. I have seen you tube videos of people running the official ICS with no lag and zero issues. I wonder what you guys have to say? Anyone have the update and loving it? One thing I have always disliked is the occasional lag/hiccup when swiping through home screens and app drawer screens on this device, but I saw a video where the guy says the lag is gone with the upgrade and he is loving it. I am still on GB 2.3.5 that came with my phone back in March, and I am not rooted.

Default Re: Official ICS or not?

I did the update, and I haven't had any issues. it works fine for me with no lg on the homescreen or anything. if you're already experiencing those things, you might want to check out how much you storage you're taking up with your app and such. if your memory is low, stuff can go wonky.
    Thanked by:
    Xingularity likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the update is working for you. Did you do a factory reset on the phone before the update?

i can't comment on official except what i have read on other sites (sense i am romed). What i have seen so far about the update is its a small amount of pp having trouble after the update. most get cleared up if they do a factory reset after the update to clean out any extra code that did not get deleted when it updated. as for battery that depends on per phone. some pp have had worse signal strength and that leads to worse battery as the phone is searching for towers, others have had problems with some apps that were not letting the phone go to sleep mode. there are some nice apps out there to check on wake-locks cpu spy looks to see if your phone is asleep or what speed its running at, betterbatterystats is another app that helps out with wake-locks. I don't remember if either of those apps require root but you also can just do the trial and error method and just install apps one at a time afterwards. And sense your doing it officially if something were to go wrong you should have no trouble taking it back to the store or wherever you get it and having it replaced.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by skyrocketeer View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the update is working for you. Did you do a factory reset on the phone before the update?
    No I didn't. I just did the update is all.
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,558 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by skyrocketeer View Post
    When I installed it back in July, it was running fine for a time, but then it started to lag and stutter when I open an app, or while I'm navigating through an app. I later backed up my files on the internal SD, then formatted and factory reset the phone. It ran way smoother after I did that.

Oh, is there an "Update for Dummies" write-up somewhere for getting ICS....something that also tells you how to backup your phone data? Fear of screwing up and loosing everything (mainly contacts, texts, and apps) has kept me at 2.3.6

I did find THIS, but I wanna check with you guys to see if there is anything else I should know, like a better way to backup your info if this is not the best way.
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,558 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

There's apps out there to backup your apps, phone logs, texts, and so forth (ex: Appbak for apps). If you configured your Google account to store your photos and videos in the cloud, that should be sufficient to back it up. It won't backup your highest scores on Angry Birds though, so expect to start from the beginning on that game and others.
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (still alive and kicking)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure

The update that comes from Samsung via Kies is nothing to get excited about. It's like they gave us the same watered down revised OS that AT&T would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

The ICS update blew. Jb leaks are decent. I'll stick to aosp but that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2