Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Kies Backup/Restore

I just got back from having AT&T do a warranty replacement for my Skyrocket due to an issue with the camera lens. Before I took the phone in, I backed it up with Kies. I wasn't concerned about Kies backing up music and photos - I have them saved on the external SD card and backed up elsewhere - but I was hoping it would save all my settings, a la how backups used to work for my BlackBerries.

I backed it up, everything was fine. I brought the new one home, ran the restore, it ran fine. Checked the phone - and nothing is as it was. Settings are all still reverted to the factory ones, all of the ringtones are still set to factory, including the contact ringtones (contact and calendar info was saved through Gmail). All my Bluetooth pairings are gone. Internet bookmarks - gone. App data - gone. The only thing that got restored was my wireless profiles. I doubled checked again, and according to Kies there definitely is "Preferences and Ringtones" and "Network Settings and Bookmarks" information in the backup, so I'm not sure wtf is up.

Was I just expecting too much from Kies? I was thinking it would be like with BlackBerry, where everything was restored to pretty much exactly as before wiping the device. I'd get annoyed if I had to reset the wallpaper. But my Kies backup appears to have not really done anything. Is this normal for Kies, or did something go wrong in my case? Did I just misunderstand what Kies was going to do? The Kies backup file was 6 GB, so what was in there? 6 GB worth of wireless profiles?

If this is typical Kies behavior, do you have any suggestions for a better backup program? As I said, I'm not concerned about photos and music, just settings.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default Re: Kies Backup/Restore

I'm almost ready to do the same thing and go in for a warranty replacement on my skyrocket due to speakerphone not properly working... and I'd like to know what's up with Kies as well. I'd like to be prepared with a backup of some type.

Anyone got any suggestions/comments etc.?

Thanks!
    ~Maria
    Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T LTE
    Android version 4.2.2 (Stock)
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

Default Re: Kies Backup/Restore

As far as I know, you can back up apps and such, but not how they're set up. If you're simply wanting to back up apps, call logs, and text logs, there's apps out there to save them without using Kies.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with CM10 via Androidcentral.com Forums
    Nexus 10, 7, 5, Galaxy Nexus, One - Chromecast - Pebble - LG G Watch - TouchPad - MacBook Pro